October 2001 Executions

Seven killers were executed in October 2001. They had murdered at least 10 people.
Two killers were given a stay in October 2001. They have murdered at least 2 people.
killer were given a commuted sentence in October 2001. He has murdered at least 1 person.

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
October 3, 2001 Missouri Mary Taylor, 56 Michael Roberts executed
From Michael Roberts’ videotaped confession the jury learned that on February 16, 1994, Roberts and his friends ran out of crack cocaine and money at the same time. He promised his friends that he would remedy the situation, went to his house, obtained a hammer and walked to the home of fifty-six-year old Mary Taylor, eight doors away. Roberts claimed Mary as a friend and believed that her "stuff" had value as a result of his familiarity with it. Roberts rang Mary’s doorbell between 10:30 and 11:00 p.m. She let him in. They watched television together. Mary took a phone call from her nephew. When the call ended, she and Roberts talked until Mary said she wanted to go to sleep and asked Roberts to leave. The two walked toward the front door. Roberts suddenly turned and pushed Mary over a table and began hitting her in the head with the hammer as she lay defenseless on the floor. Mary pleaded with Roberts to stop. After hitting her in the head with the hammer more than fifteen times, he stopped the beating and went into the kitchen where he knew she kept her purse. Finding the purse, Roberts began rummaging through it until he heard Mary move in the front room. Roberts returned to the living room and kicked Mary in the head and side, telling her to stay still. Apparently not convinced that she would obey, he ripped the telephone cord from the wall, wrapped it around her neck, and pulled it as tight as he could. She continued to breath. He ran to the kitchen, grabbed a steak knife and stabbed her repeatedly until the knife blade bent in the process. He tossed the knife aside, retrieved a butcher knife from the kitchen and began stabbing Mary again. When that weapon did not seem "like it was penetrating her clothes," he went to the kitchen again, filled a large soup pan with water, took it to Mary and held her face under the water. Noticing that brain matter has oozed on to his hands, Roberts felt queasy, but decided to continue. He repositioned his hand and forced her head in the water. When her body started to twitch, he "freaked out," released her head, took an answering machine and $200 and left, leaving the hammer and his Cleveland Indians baseball cap behind. He returned to Mary’s house twice — the first time to steal more valuables and her car and the second time to pretend to find her body and report the crime to the police.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
October 5, 2001 North Carolina Glennie Clark Robert Bacon commuted
Robert Bacon was convicted and sentenced to death for the February 1, 1987 murder of Glennie Clark, the estranged husband of Bacon’s lover, Bonnie Sue Clark. Bonnie Sue and Glennie Clark were married in 1982 and had two children. Because Glennie became an alcoholic and physically abusive, Bonnie Sue moved out of the house in 1986 and took up residence with Bacon, who was a coworker, and another friend. Despite their separation, Glennie continued to harass Bonnie Sue by telephone, and "`the worse things got’ between her and her husband, the closer she drew emotionally and romantically to Bacon." Bonnie Sue confided in Bacon about her difficulties with Glennie and "at some point… told [Bacon] that she wished her husband was dead and did he know of anyone who would kill him." Bacon "finally agreed to kill him," and Bonnie Sue and Bacon planned the murder for January 31, 1987. Bonnie Sue was the beneficiary of Glennie’s life insurance policies totaling $130,000, and Bacon reportedly told acquaintances that he expected to receive a large inheritance. Under the plan, Bonnie Sue was to accompany Glennie to a movie theater, where Bacon would kill him, but Bacon "`chickened out’ when it came time to execute the plan." The following night, February 1, 1987, again pursuant to plan, Bonnie Sue and Bacon drove to Glennie’s house to pick him up. Glennie reacted angrily when he saw Bacon in the back seat of Bonnie Sue’s car, and a heated discussion ensued about Bonnie Sue’s relationship with Bacon. At some point, Glennie called Bacon a "nigger," prompting Bacon to grab a knife that he had earlier placed on the floor of the car and fatally stab Glennie 16 times. Bonnie Sue then drove to a movie theater parking lot, where Bacon’s car was parked. Bacon and Bonnie Sue decided to fake a robbery to cover up the murder, and pursuant to this ploy, Bacon knocked Bonnie Sue unconscious and went home in his car. Shortly after 11:00 p.m. on the same day, the police found Bonnie Sue slumped over the steering wheel of her car next to Glennie’s dead body. Bonnie Sue told Jacksonville Police Officer J. J. Phillips that she and Glennie had been sitting in the car when the car doors were suddenly opened and she heard her husband exclaim, "Oh God, don’t," before she was knocked unconscious. Bonnie Sue repeated this story to members of the rescue squad and to Sergeant Donna Waters who transported her to a hospital. She also told investigating officers that her two children were at home with a babysitter and gave them her home address. Several hours later, at 1:15 a.m. on February 2, 1987, Sergeant Dennis Dinota picked Bonnie Sue up at the hospital and drove her to the Jacksonville police station where she again repeated the story she had told Officer Phillips and Sergeant Waters, and at approximately 2:00 a.m., she began writing out a statement describing how she had been attacked in the movie theater parking lot by two unknown individuals. In the meantime, Jacksonville Deputy Chief Delma Collins went to the home shared by Bacon and Bonnie Sue to check on Bonnie Sue’s children. Officer Collins arrived at 1:20 a.m. and was met at the door by Bacon, who invited Collins and other officers in the house and allowed them to "look around." After the officers discovered bloody clothing and shoes, Bacon confessed that he had killed Glennie Clark and directed the officers to other incriminating evidence. Bacon recounted that he "had been in the automobile with Bonnie Sue Clark and the victim, Glennie Leroy Clark; the victim called him a `nigger’ and pulled a knife on him; he grabbed the knife from the victim and stabbed him; and, all of this took place while Bonnie Sue Clark was in the vehicle." Bacon denied, however, that Bonnie Sue was involved in the crime. Back at the police station, Bonnie Sue completed writing out her statement for Sergeant Dinota at 2:45 a.m. After Deputy Chief Collins informed Sergeant Dinota of the information he had learned about Bacon’s involvement in the crime, the officers confronted Bonnie Sue with the information and, at 3:05 a.m., informed her of her Miranda rights. Later, Bacon admitted that parts of the story he had originally told to officers were false and admitted that he and Bonnie Sue had planned the crime. Bacon was tried and convicted of first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder and sentenced to death. The state Supreme Court upheld Bacon’s conviction on appeal, but ordered a new sentencing hearing. The second jury also sentenced Bacon to death. UPDATE: The U.S. Supreme Court rejected an appeal Monday by condemned inmate Robert Bacon Jr. as his supporters met outside the governor’s office to urge clemency. Bacon, 41, is scheduled to die at 2 a.m. Friday in Central Prison in Raleigh for the 1987 stabbing death of his lover’s husband in Onslow County. The woman, Bonnie Clark, was sentenced to life in prison for murder. He is the inmate who unsuccessfully challenged the governor’s clemency power in May. Gov. Mike Easley, who held a clemency hearing for Bacon on May 15, hasn’t issued a decision. Bacon contended in federal court filings that Easley was biased because he defended capital punishment while serving as attorney general. The Supreme Court rejected the petition to stop the execution without comment. Bacon still has appeals pending in U.S. District Court in Raleigh and Onslow County Superior Court. "The events of last week illustrate the preciousness of life," said Bacon’s attorney, Gretchen Engel of the Center for Death Penalty Litigation in Durham, referring to terrorist attacks in New York and Washington on Tuesday. "We as American people believe in equal protection under the law. Robert Bacon didn’t get equal protection under the law." Death penalty opponent Chris Fitzsimon said the appropriate sentence for Bacon is life in prison and that Easley can use his clemency power to order that sentence. The appeal filed in Onslow County last week contained a juror’s statement that the all-white jury talked about blacks dating white women. Bacon is black and his lover is white. Bacon’s lawyers asked the county court to delay the execution because the Organization of American State’s human rights commission reviews the his case. "North Carolina is preparing to kill Robert Bacon, not just because he participated in a murder but because he is black," Fitzsimon said. "No one contends Robert Bacon should not be severely punished." Former Onslow County juror Pamela Bloom Smith said she thought Bacon got a death sentence because he was a black man dating a white woman. Besides the appeals, a group of legislators has asked Easley to delay any decision in Bacon’s case for 30 days while the governor deals with state safety issues raised by the terrorist attacks. UPDATE: An execution scheduled this week in an Onslow County murder will be delayed 2 weeks to be sure that the inmate has full access to the courts, the governor said Tuesday. Robert Bacon Jr., 41, was to be executed at 2 a.m. Friday in Central Prison for the 1987 stabbing death of his lover’s husband. Correction Secretary Theodis Beck rescheduled the execution for Oct. 5. Gov. Mike Easley said disruptions caused by the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington were behind the delay. A group of legislators had asked that the execution be postponed 30 days. "The postponement is to ensure that the defendant and his attorneys have full access to the courts," Easley spokeswoman Cari Hepp said. The delay came a day after the U.S. Supreme Court rejected Bacon’s appeal. "Gov. Easley did the right thing; indeed, in light of last week’s tragedies, it would have been an affront to our society to go forward with this execution as if nothing had happened," defense lawyer Gretchen Engel said. "Robert Bacon did not receive equal justice under the law. Especially now, it is vital that we uphold the principles that make this country great." Just after the Supreme Court rejected Bacon’s appeal Monday, a group of his supporters held a small rally outside Easley’s office window. They urged the governor to grant clemency and change the death sentence to life in prison. Supporters said it was unfair that Bacon, a black man, got a death sentence while his white accomplice, Bonnie Clark, got a life sentence for murdering her husband. Bacon’s execution was originally scheduled for May, but it was delayed by the state Supreme Court while it considered a defense challenge to the Easley’s ability to fairly consider clemency requests. The state high court later said Easley has an absolute power to consider clemency, despite defense arguments that he is biased because he had been attorney general and argued for executions. Easley held a clemency hearing for Bacon on May 15, but hasn’t announced a decision. Bacon still has appeals pending in U.S. District Court in Raleigh and Onslow County Superior Court. The appeal in Onslow County includes a juror’s statement that the all-white jury talked about blacks dating white women. UPDATE: Gov. Mike Easley commuted the death sentence of Robert Bacon Jr. on October 2, 2001. Gov. Mike Easley, a former prosecutor whose ability to fairly hear clemency petitions was challenged by a death row inmate, on Tuesday commuted the man’s death sentence to life in prison. Robert Bacon Jr. was to have been executed by injection at 2 a.m. Friday for the 1987 stabbing death of his lover’s husband in Onslow County. His execution had originally been scheduled for May, but was delayed when his lawyers challenged Easley’s power to consider a clemency petition, based on the governor’s past work as a prosecutor and state attorney general. It was delayed again last month when Easley said the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks hindered Bacon’s access to courts. Bacon’s lawyers claimed Easley was biased because he had argued for the death penalty in his previous jobs. The state Supreme Court, which had allowed Easley to hold a clemency hearing in May, ultimately rejected the appeal. Easley had not announced a decision on the clemency petition until now. "I am satisfied that the prosecutors and judges acted fairly and professionally in this case," he said in a statement Tuesday. "However, as governor, my review of this matter in its totality causes me to conclude that the appropriate sentence for the defendant is life without parole," Easley said. Prosecutors argued that Bacon’s lover, Bonnie Clark, plotted the killing of her husband, Marine Sgt. Glennie Clark, for a share of a $130,000 life insurance policy. Clark received a life sentence for the murder.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
October 8, 2001 Ohio Monte B. Tewksbury, 40 John Byrd, Jr. stayed
On April 17, 1983, John Byrd robbed, beat and stabbed Monte Tewksbury with a six-inch hunting knife, severing his diaphragm, puncturing his liver and causing him to bleed to death. Monte was “moonlighting” in a convenience store and John Byrd took his wallet, credit cards and wedding ring, a little over $137 from the store, ripped the phone out so Monte couldn’t call for help, and left him to die while John went on to commit other robberies. Monte was working alone as the night clerk at the King Kwik convenience store at 9870 Pippin Road in Hamilton County, Ohio. Monte was married and was the father of three children. At approximately 11:00 p.m., two robbers entered the store in masks; one of them carried a bowie knife with a five-inch blade. The robbers removed all of $133.97 from the cash register. In addition, they took Monte’s Pulsar watch, wedding ring, and his wallet which contained cash, credit cards, and an automobile registration slip. Then, as Monte stood with his hands raised and his back to the robbers, Byrd plunged his bowie knife to the hilt in Monte’s side, resulting in a puncture wound to the liver that caused massive internal bleeding. The two robbers ripped the inside telephone out of the wall and fled. At approximately 11:10 p.m., a man who was driving northbound on Pippin Road observed two men run from the King Kwik and enter a large red van parked at the corner of Pippin and Berthbrook and drive off. Although severely injured, Monte managed to exit the store and get to the outside telephone. He called his wife, Sharon Tewksbury, told her he had been robbed and hurt, and that she should call the police and an ambulance. At that time a customer arrived at the King Kwik. The customer found Monte standing outside the building and leaning against the wall next to the telephone. Monte was bleeding from his side. The customer helped Monte into the store, went back to the telephone which was still off the hook, and spoke briefly to Sharon. Conley also advised Sharon to call an ambulance, and he himself called the police. Monte told the customer "I’m going to die," and that he had been robbed and cut with a knife. Monte described the robbers as two white men wearing stocking masks. Sharon arrived at the scene and held her dying husband in her arms as he repeated his statements. Police and medical help then came, and Monte was transported to a hospital. While en route, Monte made several statements to the effect that he did not understand why he had been stabbed, because he had been cooperative and had given the robbers everything they requested. Monte also made a statement to the effect of "Thank God I didn’t see it coming," which supports the conclusion that his back was to his assailants when he was stabbed. Almost immediately after he was taken to the emergency room, Monte’s heart stopped. Despite heroic efforts to save his life, Monte died at 1:15 a.m., April 18, 1983, from exsanguination resulting from his stab wound. That night, a short time after the King Kwik robbery, a clerk at a nearby U-Totem store was standing at the cash register. A customer was playing a video game near the front door when two robbers entered the store wearing masks. The clerk realized what was occurring and fled to a room in the rear of the store. One of the robbers chased after him with a knife. The robber tried unsuccessfully to force open the door to the room. Meanwhile, the other robber pushed the customer back when he attempted to leave; however, he was able to dodge him and get out. The robbers were unable to open the cash register, so they took it with them. A resident of an apartment located near the U-Totem was disturbed by the noise from a loud muffler. He looked outside and observed two people getting into a large red van parked in the U-Totem lot. The van had a defective tail light. Shortly after 1:00 a.m. on April 18, 1983, two police officers from Forest Park in Hamilton County were seated in a marked police cruiser eating their lunch. The officers were in a K-Mart parking lot, which was located in an area containing principally commercial establishments, some of which had recently been burglarized. The officers had been advised approximately forty-five minutes earlier by their supervisor about the incident at the King Kwik. As the officers watched, a red cargo van drove by at a slow rate of speed. The van pulled into the K-Mart lot, and its headlights were turned off. A few minutes later, the van’s headlights came back on, and the van left the lot. However, the van returned within five minutes, again at low speed, from the direction opposite to that in which it had gone moments before. The police officers became suspicious, followed the van, and, upon inquiry of the police dispatcher, learned the identity of its owner. The van pulled into a parking lot adjacent to a closed United Dairy Farmers store. The officers pulled behind the van after summoning back-up assistance. One of the passengers, later identified as John Eastle Brewer, exited the van and approached the police car. Brewer identified himself as "David Urey" and told the police he had no identification. Brewer provided inconsistent stories about why he was in the area. One of the officers asked Brewer to remain in the cruiser while he approached the van. The van’s driver, William Danny Woodall, and another passenger, Byrd provided the officer with identification, which was called in to the dispatcher. Although there were no current warrants for either Byrd or Woodall, the dispatcher reported that both had prior felony convictions. The officer shined a flashlight inside the van and saw coins on the floor. There were stocking masks and a knife located in a tray on the dashboard. A Shell credit card in Sharon’s name was lying on the floor under the passenger seat. There was also what appeared to be fresh blood on the interior side of the driver’s seat. A drawer from a cash register was in the back of the van.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
October 12, 2001 Utah Mark Schoenfeld Elroy Tillman stayed
Tillman was convicted of killing his former girlfriend’s new boyfriend, Mark Schoenfeld, in Schoenfeld’s apartment on the night of May 25, 1982. As Schoenfeld slept, Tillman struck him on the head several times with the blunt end of an ax. Tillman then set fire to Schoenfeld’s bed. The primary cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning caused by the burning mattress, but the evidence indicated that the blows to the head would have independently caused Schoenfeld’s death. Carla Sagers, Tillman’s girlfriend at the time of the murder, was with Tillman in Schoenfeld’s apartment that night. She received immunity in exchange for her testimony against Tillman. Tillman was convicted of first degree murder and sentenced to death.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
October 12, 2001 North Carolina Dorothy Mae Smith David Ward executed
David Ward was sentenced to death April 14, 1992 in Pitt County Superior Court for the April 3, 1991 murder of Dorothy Mae Smith during a robbery. Dorothy and her husband, Seymour Smith, owned a convenience store. On 3 April 1991 the victim and her brother closed the store around 10:30 p.m. Dorothy filled a money box with $4,000 in cash and an undetermined number of checks. She collected her personal belongings–including fruit, crackers, a comb, and a magazine–which she placed in a white plastic bag. She also picked up her husband’s.38 caliber pistol. She got in her pickup truck and headed toward her house a short distance down the road from the store; her brother followed her home. At the house Smith turned into the driveway and went to the back of her house; her brother stopped in the road and watched until he saw her brake lights turn on. At about 10:30 p.m. the Smith’s next-door neighbor heard sounds that at first he thought were exploding firecrackers, but he immediately realized they were gunshots–five shots fired in rapid succession. He went outside to investigate and saw only Dorothy’s pickup parked at the back door of her house. He saw no one, and becoming concerned, he and a friend went to the Smith house, where they discovered Dorothy’s body lying on the ground near the back door. There was blood coming from the back of her head, and she did not respond when they called her name. They phoned 911 for assistance. Police arrived and found no vital signs in Dorothy. The deputies observed Dorothy’s body, fully clothed, lying close to the back door of the house, with her feet nearest the house, her head away from the house, and a set of keys and prescription glasses on the ground near her hand. They found an apple, some fruit, crackers, a comb, a deed, and four spent shell casings strewn in the driveway. Later, they found a.32 caliber bullet and a.22 caliber bullet at the base of an air conditioning unit, also near the house. The medical examiner testified that Dorothy had been shot five times with small caliber firearms. She found gunshot wounds on the left side of the back of the head and neck area, on the left arm near the shoulder, on the left side of the chest, on the left side of her body near the back and just below the waist, and on the left arm. All the gunshots had been fired from a distance exceeding three to four feet from Dorothy. The wound to Smith’s head would have been immediately incapacitating and the wounds to the chest and shoulder fatal if left untreated. The bruise on the right side of Smith’s forehead, as well as the bruise to her right elbow, led Dr. Gilliland to conclude that Smith was immediately incapacitated by the gunshot wound to the head and died very quickly. Further, the angle of the other wounds, in conjunction with the bruises, led her to conclude that the head wound occurred after the others. David Junior Ward was soon arrested on unrelated charges and gave the following account: Ward stated that he came to Greenville and got up with Wesley Harris. Ward said Harris said he had a job to do that night and said they were going to rob Seymour Smith’s wife when she closed the store. He stated that they went by the store and she was there so they rode around until it got dark. Ward said about 10:00 p.m. that they parked Harris’s blue Saab car on the road that runs off between the store and the Smith house. "We ran across the road and got in the bushes next to the driveway. I had a rifle and Wesley had a pistol. The rifle was a.22 caliber and the pistol was a.32 caliber. When Mrs. Smith pulled in the driveway and pulled around back and got out of the truck, we started shooting. Wesley ran and got the money box after she fell and we ran across the road and got in the car and left. We put the money in the ditch near Empire Brushes. We got a money box and a white plastic bag. I called a cab and went to my girlfriend’s house near Belvoir. Before I could get up with Wesley the next day, the cops got me." David said Wesley kept both guns that were used.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
October 18, 2001 Virginia Florence Marie Marks, 54
William Miller, 52
David Kaplan, 34
Christopher Beck executed
Christopher Beck received the death penalty for the murders of his cousin, Florence Marie Marks, and her 2 housemates, William Miller and David Kaplan. Beck confessed to the police after his arrest and stated that he planned to kill William Miller, his former employer. On June 6, 1995 Beck broke into the house shared by the victims and waited for them to return home. Florence returned home first and Beck shot her twice in the head in the basement of the house. Beck stated that he tried to make it look as if she had also been raped, but a medical examiner asserted that she had actually been raped, after she was shot. Later that afternoon, Beck shot William several times in the head and placed his body in David’s apartment. When David returned home, Beck shot him seven times in the head and upper chest and stabbed him in the head after he survived the gunshots to the head and lay dying on the floor. Beck stole several guns, cash and two bicycles from the victims, then left the house, waving to a next-door neighbor as he drove off in William’s car. Beck confessed to the murders but maintained he did not rape Florence. He told police he mistook her for William and shot her when she walked through the door, then staged the rape to make it look like she was killed by a stranger. He was given three death sentences and four life terms, plus 53 years in prison for the rampage. Choking back sobs and casting hurt, angry eyes towards the defendant, the daughter of one of the three murder victims confronted her mother’s killer in a packed Arlington Circuit courtroom. "Do you understand what you did? Do you feel sorry for what you did?" asked Helen Macdonald, daughter of the slain Florence Marie Marks. "Yes, I do," replied Beck. "I think his main goal in life was to kill someone," MacDonald testified. "He’s never going to contribute anything but pain." MacDonald’s mother, Florence Marks, was the first person killed on June 6, 1995, when Beck broke into a rooming house, police and prosecutors said. Beck intended to lie in wait for the homeowner, William Miller, with whom he had argued, police said. But Florence, 54, came home first. Florence was a distant cousin of Beck’s, and had offered him a place to stay off and on while Beck looked for a job. Beck admitted shooting her in the basement, then raping her and finally stabbing her. Beck, of Philadelphia, pled guilty to three counts of capital murder, robbery, burglary and firearms offenses. Prosecutor Richard Trodden called the slayings "vile and full of torture" and said Beck admitted that he "loved killing." Trodden said after his arrest Beck made morbid jokes about the murders. Florence, a mother of four and a grandmother, worked for Arlington County as a bookkeeper. During the sentencing hearing, Beck sat stone-faced and snatched only a few quick, awkward glances around the tearful courtroom. He briefly closed his eyes when pictures of the victims’ bodies passed before him. According to Arlington Commonwealth’s Attorney Richard E. Trodden’s opening statements: "Finally, and most chillingly, the defendant admits `I love killing,’" Trodden said, referring to a note police found in Beck’s jail cell. Friends of the victims said William had hired Beck as a "handyman" and invited him to different social events. They say he wanted to help Beck. William was a statistician at the U.S. Labor Department and David was an editor with Congressional Quarterly. "Bill had an immense capacity to give to other people," his friend Carol Stroebel said during the hearing. "Ours was a friendship that can never be replaced. It’s all over. He’s been taken." Defense attorney William McCue argued that Beck was abused as a child and should not get the death penalty. "There is no doubt whether Chris will spend the rest of his life in prison," McCue said. "There is a question if Chris will die at a date designated by his maker or arbitrarily designated by the state." After the sentencing hearing a friend of William Miller attacked the defense attorney’s comment. "Bill, Dave or Flo would have loved to have God decide their fate," Kirk Daubenspeck said in an interview. He said Beck deserves the death penalty for society’s sake. "Do you want to see that guy at your doorstep?" he asked. "It’s not for revenge, it’s for protection." Florence’s daughter said she saw little reason to spare Beck: "He’s never going to contribute anything to anybody but pain and suffering." As a youth, Beck was charged and convicted of assaulting his teacher and making terroristic threats, and reckless endangerment. Since his incarceration, he has hit and tried to poison other inmates. While in jail, Beck put disinfectant in a mouthwash bottle and gave it to another inmate, a deputy sheriff testified. During the sentencing hearing, a court psychologist said Beck never said he was sorry for the act or expressed other signs of remorse. Last year, Beck said Miller made sexual advances towards him, triggering his wrath. But the court psychologist said Beck later recanted that accusation, saying it wasn’t true.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
October 18, 2001 Oklahoma William Jeffrey Perry, 24 Alvie Hale Jr. executed
The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals scheduled an execution date for a man who kidnapped and murdered a Tecumseh banker in 1983. Attorney General Drew Edmondson requested an execution date after Hale’s final appeal was rejected by the U.S. Supreme Court. Edmondson said Alvie Hale Jr., 52, kidnapped William Jeffrey Perry, 24, from his home in Tecumseh on October 10, 1983 and made a series of phone calls to Perry’s parents in which he demanded $350,000 in ransom. Perry’s parents ran the Farmers’ and Merchants’ Bank of Tecumseh. His bullet-ridden body was discovered less than two hours after Hale was arrested in Oklahoma City, on land in Pottawatomie County owned by Hale’s father. He had been shot five times with a.38-caliber revolver, which was found in the kitchen at the home of Hale’s father. The body was wrapped in the cover of a trampoline from Hale’s home in Shawnee. A $350,000 ransom payment was recovered from Hale’s vehicle. More than 18 years later, Perry’s family members were preparing to remind the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board who William Jeffrey Perry was. Hale’s clemency hearing was scheduled for Aug. 13. Perry’s mother, Joan Perry, said she was choosing photographs and gathering letters about her son from family and friends to present to the board. "I guess that’s what I was looking for, a little peace," Perry said concerning Hale’s execution. "I don’t like that word closure because my son’s death will be with me always. "I’m a confused mother right now," she added.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
October 22, 2001 Texas Charles Marino
Hector Manguia
Gerald Mitchell executed
Gerald Mitchell was sentenced to death for the 1985 murder of Charles Marino. Charles and his brother-in-law met Mitchell in a Houston neighborhood park and Mitchell had offered to sell the pair some marijuana, but instead pulled out a sawed-off shotgun and forced them to drive to a vacant house. He robbed them of cash and their car keys, then shot them both. Charles died from his wounds but his brother-in-law survived being shot in the hip. Mitchell fled to Corpus Christi where he was arrested a week later. Mitchell was also convicted of the murder of Hector Manguia who was killed on the same day, after refusing to give Mitchell a necklace he demanded.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
October 24, 2001 Missouri Donald Voepel, Jr., 17 Stephen Johns executed
On the evening of February 18, 1982, an Onyx Gas Station in the City of St. Louis was robbed of approximately $248. A customer who stopped at the station shortly before 8 p.m. discovered the body of the seventeen year old attendant, Donald Voepel, lying face down in a storage room with bullet wounds in the back of his head. The medical examiner who performed the autopsy testified that she found three bullet holes – all within one inch of each other – behind the victim’s right ear. One of the bullets has been fired from a distance of less than six inches from the victim’s head. The autopsy also revealed a bruise on top of the victim’s head. During the weeks proceeding the murder, Johns had discussed his plan for robbing the Onyx station with Linda Klund and David Smith, two acquaintances. Klund drove Johns and a second man, Robert Shawn Wishon, to the station. She parked the car a short distance from the station and waited while Johns and Wishon went in. When they returned, she followed an escape route planned earlier by Johns. After disposing of the money bag, Klund dropped off Wishon and then Johns. Johns gave her $50 and asked her to take a bag containing the gun and bullets so he would not have it in case he was picked up. Johns was arrested on February 19. He was convicted of capital murder in the Circuit Court of the City of St. Louis and the jury imposed the death sentence.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
October 25, 2001 Georgia Paulette Riggs Terry Mincey executed
Robert Jones, Timothy Jenkins and Terry Mincey met in the evening of April 12, 1982, and discussed committing a robbery. Each was armed, Jones with a.12 gauge shotgun, Jenkins with a.38 caliber pistol and Mincey with a.380 caliber semi-automatic Llama pistol. After several possibilities were discussed and rejected, the trio drove by a Mini Food Store in Bibb County. They circled back to the store and parked. Mincey entered the store briefly and returned to the car. He told the others that there were only a female clerk and two teenagers inside and it looked like a good place to rob. He informed the others that he did not plan on leaving any witnesses. When Jenkins protested, Mincey told him, "If you’re talking about not wasting nobody, you’re in the wrong… car." They waited, hoping the kids would leave. When, after a few minutes, they did not, Mincey reentered the store. Jenkins positioned himself outside, between the ice machine and the dumpster. Jones, the driver, stayed in the car. A fourteen-year-old girl and her 15-year-old brother were inside the store, visiting the cashier, Mrs. Riggs. When Mincey entered the store, they recognized him as the same young white male who had entered the store 10 or 15 minutes previously. He told Mrs. Riggs to "put the money in the bag" and told the kids to go to the car. Jenkins, standing outside, saw two teenagers walk out of the store just as a pick-up truck pulled up to the gas pumps. The driver, Russell Peterman, got out and began to fill his tank. Meanwhile, Mrs. Riggs, followed by Mincey, exited the store. When Mincey saw Peterman at the gas pumps, he turned Mrs. Riggs over to Jenkins and walked toward the pumps. Peterman testified that as he was pumping gas, he was confronted by a young white man with a pistol in his hand, who said, "come go with me." Peterman was so surprised that he failed to respond. The man said, "You think I’m joking, don’t you?" Then he shot Peterman in the chest. Peterman fell to the ground, and the man walked over and shot him in the face. When this happened, Jenkins proceeded toward the getaway car and the teenagers ran. Jones, sitting in the car, saw Mrs. Riggs run after them, but she ran too late. Mincey came back across the parking lot and fired at her. Jones saw Mrs. Riggs grab her neck and fall behind the dumpster. Mincey walked behind the dumpster and bent down. Jones heard a second shot. Mincey ran to the car, got in, and they left. They counted the money taken from the store — about $40. Jones asked if the victims were dead. Mincey answered, "Yes, they are dead. I know they are dead, I shot both of them." Then Mincey asked where the kids were. When he found out they had escaped, he said, "Well, I just got a death sentence." Jones’ car was a multi-colored Mustang with mag wheels, no hood, one working headlight and a loud muffler. When police arrived at the scene a few minutes after the robbery, witnesses were able to describe the car and identify its owner. Jones was soon located and placed under arrest. After he named Mincey as a participant, officers went to Mincey’s residence and placed him under arrest. Mincey thereafter admitted to law enforcement officers that he had shot Peterman and Mrs. Riggs. Mrs. Riggs died. An autopsy revealed that she had been shot twice. One bullet entered her left ear, went through her head, and lodged in her right cheek. This bullet was recovered. The other entered the right side of her head through the temporal bone (driving bone fragments into her brain), deflected, and exited on the right side of her neck. This bullet, which inflicted the fatal wound, was not recovered. Peterman lived. One bullet entered his chest and lodged in a muscle close to his spine, where it remains. The other bullet entered the left side of his head and traveled across his face. Two weeks after he was shot, his condition had stabilized sufficiently that this wound could be operated on. The bullet was removed from under his right eyebrow. His left optic nerve was damaged by the passage of the bullet and he is now totally blind in his left eye. His right eye suffered severe retinal damage and has a drooping upper lid, which may or may not eventually elevate on its own. With the lid lifted out of the way, his right eye has approximately 40% of its original vision. A.380 Llama pistol was recovered from Mincey’s trailer. Ballistics examination showed it to be the pistol which had fired the bullets recovered from Peterman and Mrs. Riggs.

Page visited times since 8/17/01

Page last updated 03/22/04