September 2001 Executions

One killer was executed in September 2001. He had murdered at least 1 person.
Four killers were given a stay in September 2001. They have murdered at least 4 people.

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
September 4, 2001 Oklahoma William Jeffrey Perry, 24 Alvie Hale Jr. stayed
The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals scheduled a Sept. 4th execution date for a man who kidnapped and murdered a Tecumseh banker in 1983. Attorney General Drew Edmondson said Alvie Hale Jr., 52, kidnapped William Jeffrey Perry, 24, from his home in Tecumseh and made a series of phone calls to Perry’s parents in which he demanded $350,000 in ransom. Perry’s parents ran the Farmers’ and Merchants’ Bank of Tecumseh. William’s body was found one day later on land in Pottawatomie County owned by Hale’s father. He had been shot five times with a.38-caliber revolver, which was found in the kitchen at the home of Hale’s father. The body was wrapped in the cover of a trampoline from Hale’s home in Shawnee. Edmondson requested an execution date after Hale’s final appeal was rejected by the U.S. Supreme Court. UPDATE: Death row prisoner Alvie James Hale Jr. will not die by lethal injection Sept. 4 as scheduled. The U.S. 10th Circuit Court of Appeals Friday granted Hale an indefinite stay of execution, pending the outcome of a case filed in federal court by his attorneys. Hale, a former Shawnee bakery owner, was convicted of the kidnapping and murder of William Jeffrey Perry, 24, a Tecumseh banker. Perry was taken Oct. 10, 1983, from his home. His bullet-ridden body was discovered less than two hours after Hale was arrested in Oklahoma City. A $350,000 ransom payment was recovered from Hale’s vehicle. More than 18 years later, Perry’s family members were preparing to remind the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board who William Jeffrey Perry was. Hale’s clemency hearing was scheduled for Aug. 13. Perry’s mother, Joan Perry, said she was choosing photographs and gathering letters about her son from family and friends to present to the board. "I guess that’s what I was looking for, a little peace," Perry said concerning Hale’s execution. "I don’t like that word closure because my son’s death will be with me always. "I’m a confused mother right now," she added. Hale’s attorney, Gloyd L. McCoy, alleges Federal Bureau of Investigation officials failed to turn over between 1,000 to 1,200 documents connected with the murder investigation that may have aided in Hale’s defense. He said the FBI has already produced about half of those documents and the federal case is to obtain the remaining 500- to 600-piece paper trail. "It’s the same thing that happened in the McVeigh case," McCoy said. McCoy said information in documentation the FBI is not sharing with the defense may prove others were involved in Perry’s murder and kidnapping. Hale’s stay of execution could delay his death as long a two years, although McCoy said he is hopeful the documents’ contents will get his client removed from death row. The U.S. Freedom of Information’s Act case between Hale and the FBI will be in the hands of the U.S. Supreme Court when it reconvenes in October. Oklahoma Assistant Attorney General Jennifer Miller said it is unlikely anything exists in the documentation that could reverse Hale’s capital murder sentence. Miller said the attorney general’s office is not part of the lawsuit, although she plans to petition the federal court for a special appearance and request they vacate their order for Hale’s stay of execution. Miller said she believes the 10th Circuit does not have proper jurisdiction to grant the order. "We’re going to do everything within our power to make sure his sentence is carried out," Miller said. UPDATE: The U.S. Supreme Court on 8/30/01 rejected the appeal of Oklahoma death row inmate Alvie James Hale. In response, the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals lifted its stay of execution at the request of state Attorney General Drew Edmondson. Hale, 52, is scheduled to be executed Sept. 4 for the October 1983 shooting death of Tecumseh bank employee William Jeffrey Perry, 24. On July 27, the Denver-based appeals court granted the stay pending a Supreme Court decision on Hale’s request that the FBI be made to turn over investigative reports in the case. Hale’s attorney, Gloyd McCoy, said the FBI’s reports may show that someone other than Hale is responsible for the crime. Edmondson said the stay should be lifted because Hale’s request for FBI documents is a civil action. He said a civil action should not be used to hold up this type of criminal case.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
September 11, 2001 Texas Wilton B. Humphreys, 64 Jeffrey Tucker stayed
Jeffrey Eugene Tucker was sentenced to death for the July 11, 1988 robbery and murder of 65-year-old Wilton B. Humphreys of Granbury, Texas. Tucker answered a newspaper ad that Wilton had placed in order to sell a pickup truck and travel trailer. Tucker said he wanted to by the rig for his parent’s 50th anniversary. Tucker test-drove the truck, then told Wilton that he would buy the truck and trailer for $18,000. Wilton accompanied Tucker to the bank in order to deposit the money, but when they arrived at the bank, Tucker pulled a gun on Wilton and told him he was stealing the truck and trailer. Tucker forced Wilton to drove out of town to a rural road just south of Aledo and told Wilton to get out of the truck. Wilton obeyed but then ran back to the truck and got in, trying to lock the doors before Tucker could re-enter. Tucker shot Wilton three times, then shoved his body out and ran over it. Tucker was arrested in New Mexico three days later after robbing a gas station of $800 and leading police on a short chase. At trial, the jury heard a tape-recorded confession in which Tucker said he stole Humphreys’ rig because he planned to travel around the country in it and rob people. A retired Air Force senior master sergeant who served in World War II, Korea and Vietnam, Wilton Humphreys loved his country, family, fishing and the Texas Rangers. "He had a tremendous number of friends," his son Brad Humphreys said. "The procession was miles long." After the funeral, Brad, his brother and his sister helped their mother move to a smaller house, sell her nearby farm and simplify her life. "She counted on a lot of people for a lot of things because she didn’t have Dad there to do them for her," Brad said. "You don’t realize how much people do for you until they are gone." It was a difficult time for the children of Brad and Lois Humpreys, whose divorce had been finalized several months earlier. Brandon, 10, Mike, 8, and Katy, 4, were especially close to their grandfather. "They loved their granddaddy," Lois said. "He was such a wonderful person — warmhearted, generous, just the sweetest soul." The family was shattered by murder again. About twelve years after Wilton’s murder, his grandson Mike was shot and killed by James Edward Martinez, who was stalking Sandy Walton, a woman that Mike was dating. Martinez was sentenced to death.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
September 12, 2001 Ohio Monte B. Tewksbury, 40 John Byrd, Jr. stayed
On April 17, 1983, John Byrd robbed, beat and stabbed Monte Tewksbury with a six-inch hunting knife, severing his diaphragm, puncturing his liver and causing him to bleed to death. Monte was “moonlighting” in a convenience store and John Byrd took his wallet, credit cards and wedding ring, a little over $137 from the store, ripped the phone out so Monte couldn’t call for help, and left him to die while John went on to commit other robberies. Monte was working alone as the night clerk at the King Kwik convenience store at 9870 Pippin Road in Hamilton County, Ohio. Monte was married and was the father of three children. At approximately 11:00 p.m., two robbers entered the store in masks; one of them carried a bowie knife with a five-inch blade. The robbers removed all of $133.97 from the cash register. In addition, they took Monte’s Pulsar watch, wedding ring, and his wallet which contained cash, credit cards, and an automobile registration slip. Then, as Monte stood with his hands raised and his back to the robbers, Byrd plunged his bowie knife to the hilt in Monte’s side, resulting in a puncture wound to the liver that caused massive internal bleeding. The two robbers ripped the inside telephone out of the wall and fled. At approximately 11:10 p.m., a man who was driving northbound on Pippin Road observed two men run from the King Kwik and enter a large red van parked at the corner of Pippin and Berthbrook and drive off. Although severely injured, Monte managed to exit the store and get to the outside telephone. He called his wife, Sharon Tewksbury, told her he had been robbed and hurt, and that she should call the police and an ambulance. At that time a customer arrived at the King Kwik. The customer found Monte standing outside the building and leaning against the wall next to the telephone. Monte was bleeding from his side. The customer helped Monte into the store, went back to the telephone which was still off the hook, and spoke briefly to Sharon. Conley also advised Sharon to call an ambulance, and he himself called the police. Monte told the customer "I’m going to die," and that he had been robbed and cut with a knife. Monte described the robbers as two white men wearing stocking masks. Sharon arrived at the scene and held her dying husband in her arms as he repeated his statements. Police and medical help then came, and Monte was transported to a hospital. While en route, Monte made several statements to the effect that he did not understand why he had been stabbed, because he had been cooperative and had given the robbers everything they requested. Monte also made a statement to the effect of "Thank God I didn’t see it coming," which supports the conclusion that his back was to his assailants when he was stabbed. Almost immediately after he was taken to the emergency room, Monte’s heart stopped. Despite heroic efforts to save his life, Monte died at 1:15 a.m., April 18, 1983, from exsanguination resulting from his stab wound. That night, a short time after the King Kwik robbery, a clerk at a nearby U-Totem store was standing at the cash register. A customer was playing a video game near the front door when two robbers entered the store wearing masks. The clerk realized what was occurring and fled to a room in the rear of the store. One of the robbers chased after him with a knife. The robber tried unsuccessfully to force open the door to the room. Meanwhile, the other robber pushed the customer back when he attempted to leave; however, he was able to dodge him and get out. The robbers were unable to open the cash register, so they took it with them. A resident of an apartment located near the U-Totem was disturbed by the noise from a loud muffler. He looked outside and observed two people getting into a large red van parked in the U-Totem lot. The van had a defective tail light. Shortly after 1:00 a.m. on April 18, 1983, two police officers from Forest Park in Hamilton County were seated in a marked police cruiser eating their lunch. The officers were in a K-Mart parking lot, which was located in an area containing principally commercial establishments, some of which had recently been burglarized. The officers had been advised approximately forty-five minutes earlier by their supervisor about the incident at the King Kwik. As the officers watched, a red cargo van drove by at a slow rate of speed. The van pulled into the K-Mart lot, and its headlights were turned off. A few minutes later, the van’s headlights came back on, and the van left the lot. However, the van returned within five minutes, again at low speed, from the direction opposite to that in which it had gone moments before. The police officers became suspicious, followed the van, and, upon inquiry of the police dispatcher, learned the identity of its owner. The van pulled into a parking lot adjacent to a closed United Dairy Farmers store. The officers pulled behind the van after summoning back-up assistance. One of the passengers, later identified as John Eastle Brewer, exited the van and approached the police car. Brewer identified himself as "David Urey" and told the police he had no identification. Brewer provided inconsistent stories about why he was in the area. One of the officers asked Brewer to remain in the cruiser while he approached the van. The van’s driver, William Danny Woodall, and another passenger, Byrd provided the officer with identification, which was called in to the dispatcher. Although there were no current warrants for either Byrd or Woodall, the dispatcher reported that both had prior felony convictions. The officer shined a flashlight inside the van and saw coins on the floor. There were stocking masks and a knife located in a tray on the dashboard. A Shell credit card in Sharon’s name was lying on the floor under the passenger seat. There was also what appeared to be fresh blood on the interior side of the driver’s seat. A drawer from a cash register was in the back of the van. UPDATE: The Supreme Court on Wednesday turned down Ohio’s request to allow the state to move ahead with the execution of a killer who has chosen the electric chair over lethal injection.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
September 18, 2001 Texas Joseph Sanchez, 39 James Knox executed
James Knox was sentenced to death for the 1982 murder of Joseph Sanchez who was killed during a robbery of his drug store in Galveston, Texas. A man who worked with Joseph told authorities that Knox walked up to the store counter with a gun and demanded drugs. Joseph was shot through the heart when he told Knox that he had no drugs. Knox then demanded drugs from the other man who gave him four bottles of Demerol and some cash. Knox had a prior conviction for robbery in Alabama for which he served two years of a twelve year sentence. UPDATE: A paroled robber from Alabama was executed Tuesday night for gunning down a pharmacist who refused to surrender drugs during a holdup at his store nearly 19 years ago. Asked if he had a final statement, James Roy Knox replied, "No, I’m ready. I’m ready." Knox nodded and smiled to five friends he selected as witnesses. He was pronounced dead at 6:28 p.m. Knox was condemned for the 1982 shooting death of Joe Sanchez, 39. He was arrested two years after the slaying and was tried twice for capital murder after his initial conviction was thrown out on appeal because of an improper jury instruction from a judge. Knox was on parole after serving two years of a 12-year term for robbing a drug store in Alabama when he walked into Joe’s Pharmacy in Galveston. Pulling a pistol, he demanded money and drugs from Sanchez and a co-worker. When Sanchez protested, he was shot in the heart. The gunman fled with about $15 and four bottles of Demerol, a pain suppressant. Witnesses at Knox’s trials said he bragged about committing other robberies and shootings and of participating in a lynching. Prosecutors said there was evidence he was a white supremacist. "Evil man, evil man," Jim James, one of the prosecutors at Knox’s first trial in 1985, said this week. "Never any sign of remorse. He just looked like he thought it was all a joke."
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
September 21, 2001 North Carolina Glennie Clark Robert Bacon stayed
Robert Bacon was convicted and sentenced to death for the February 1, 1987 murder of Glennie Clark, the estranged husband of Bacon’s lover, Bonnie Sue Clark. Bonnie Sue and Glennie Clark were married in 1982 and had two children. Because Glennie became an alcoholic and physically abusive, Bonnie Sue moved out of the house in 1986 and took up residence with Bacon, who was a coworker, and another friend. Despite their separation, Glennie continued to harass Bonnie Sue by telephone, and "`the worse things got’ between her and her husband, the closer she drew emotionally and romantically to Bacon." Bonnie Sue confided in Bacon about her difficulties with Glennie and "at some point… told [Bacon] that she wished her husband was dead and did he know of anyone who would kill him." Bacon "finally agreed to kill him," and Bonnie Sue and Bacon planned the murder for January 31, 1987. Bonnie Sue was the beneficiary of Glennie’s life insurance policies totaling $130,000, and Bacon reportedly told acquaintances that he expected to receive a large inheritance. Under the plan, Bonnie Sue was to accompany Glennie to a movie theater, where Bacon would kill him, but Bacon "`chickened out’ when it came time to execute the plan." The following night, February 1, 1987, again pursuant to plan, Bonnie Sue and Bacon drove to Glennie’s house to pick him up. Glennie reacted angrily when he saw Bacon in the back seat of Bonnie Sue’s car, and a heated discussion ensued about Bonnie Sue’s relationship with Bacon. At some point, Glennie called Bacon a "nigger," prompting Bacon to grab a knife that he had earlier placed on the floor of the car and fatally stab Glennie 16 times. Bonnie Sue then drove to a movie theater parking lot, where Bacon’s car was parked. Bacon and Bonnie Sue decided to fake a robbery to cover up the murder, and pursuant to this ploy, Bacon knocked Bonnie Sue unconscious and went home in his car. Shortly after 11:00 p.m. on the same day, the police found Bonnie Sue slumped over the steering wheel of her car next to Glennie’s dead body. Bonnie Sue told Jacksonville Police Officer J. J. Phillips that she and Glennie had been sitting in the car when the car doors were suddenly opened and she heard her husband exclaim, "Oh God, don’t," before she was knocked unconscious. Bonnie Sue repeated this story to members of the rescue squad and to Sergeant Donna Waters who transported her to a hospital. She also told investigating officers that her two children were at home with a babysitter and gave them her home address. Several hours later, at 1:15 a.m. on February 2, 1987, Sergeant Dennis Dinota picked Bonnie Sue up at the hospital and drove her to the Jacksonville police station where she again repeated the story she had told Officer Phillips and Sergeant Waters, and at approximately 2:00 a.m., she began writing out a statement describing how she had been attacked in the movie theater parking lot by two unknown individuals. In the meantime, Jacksonville Deputy Chief Delma Collins went to the home shared by Bacon and Bonnie Sue to check on Bonnie Sue’s children. Officer Collins arrived at 1:20 a.m. and was met at the door by Bacon, who invited Collins and other officers in the house and allowed them to "look around." After the officers discovered bloody clothing and shoes, Bacon confessed that he had killed Glennie Clark and directed the officers to other incriminating evidence. Bacon recounted that he "had been in the automobile with Bonnie Sue Clark and the victim, Glennie Leroy Clark; the victim called him a `nigger’ and pulled a knife on him; he grabbed the knife from the victim and stabbed him; and, all of this took place while Bonnie Sue Clark was in the vehicle." Bacon denied, however, that Bonnie Sue was involved in the crime. Back at the police station, Bonnie Sue completed writing out her statement for Sergeant Dinota at 2:45 a.m. After Deputy Chief Collins informed Sergeant Dinota of the information he had learned about Bacon’s involvement in the crime, the officers confronted Bonnie Sue with the information and, at 3:05 a.m., informed her of her Miranda rights. Later, Bacon admitted that parts of the story he had originally told to officers were false and admitted that he and Bonnie Sue had planned the crime. Bacon was tried and convicted of first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder and sentenced to death. The state Supreme Court upheld Bacon’s conviction on appeal, but ordered a new sentencing hearing. The second jury also sentenced Bacon to death. UPDATE: The U.S. Supreme Court rejected an appeal Monday by condemned inmate Robert Bacon Jr. as his supporters met outside the governor’s office to urge clemency. Bacon, 41, is scheduled to die at 2 a.m. Friday in Central Prison in Raleigh for the 1987 stabbing death of his lover’s husband in Onslow County. The woman, Bonnie Clark, was sentenced to life in prison for murder. He is the inmate who unsuccessfully challenged the governor’s clemency power in May. Gov. Mike Easley, who held a clemency hearing for Bacon on May 15, hasn’t issued a decision. Bacon contended in federal court filings that Easley was biased because he defended capital punishment while serving as attorney general. The Supreme Court rejected the petition to stop the execution without comment. Bacon still has appeals pending in U.S. District Court in Raleigh and Onslow County Superior Court. "The events of last week illustrate the preciousness of life," said Bacon’s attorney, Gretchen Engel of the Center for Death Penalty Litigation in Durham, referring to terrorist attacks in New York and Washington on Tuesday. "We as American people believe in equal protection under the law. Robert Bacon didn’t get equal protection under the law." Death penalty opponent Chris Fitzsimon said the appropriate sentence for Bacon is life in prison and that Easley can use his clemency power to order that sentence. The appeal filed in Onslow County last week contained a juror’s statement that the all-white jury talked about blacks dating white women. Bacon is black and his lover is white. Bacon’s lawyers asked the county court to delay the execution because the Organization of American State’s human rights commission reviews the his case. "North Carolina is preparing to kill Robert Bacon, not just because he participated in a murder but because he is black," Fitzsimon said. "No one contends Robert Bacon should not be severely punished." Former Onslow County juror Pamela Bloom Smith said she thought Bacon got a death sentence because he was a black man dating a white woman. Besides the appeals, a group of legislators has asked Easley to delay any decision in Bacon’s case for 30 days while the governor deals with state safety issues raised by the terrorist attacks. UPDATE: An execution scheduled this week in an Onslow County murder will be delayed 2 weeks to be sure that the inmate has full access to the courts, the governor said Tuesday. Robert Bacon Jr., 41, was to be executed at 2 a.m. Friday in Central Prison for the 1987 stabbing death of his lover’s husband. Correction Secretary Theodis Beck rescheduled the execution for Oct. 5. Gov. Mike Easley said disruptions caused by the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington were behind the delay. A group of legislators had asked that the execution be postponed 30 days. "The postponement is to ensure that the defendant and his attorneys have full access to the courts," Easley spokeswoman Cari Hepp said. The delay came a day after the U.S. Supreme Court rejected Bacon’s appeal. "Gov. Easley did the right thing; indeed, in light of last week’s tragedies, it would have been an affront to our society to go forward with this execution as if nothing had happened," defense lawyer Gretchen Engel said. "Robert Bacon did not receive equal justice under the law. Especially now, it is vital that we uphold the principles that make this country great." Just after the Supreme Court rejected Bacon’s appeal Monday, a group of his supporters held a small rally outside Easley’s office window. They urged the governor to grant clemency and change the death sentence to life in prison. Supporters said it was unfair that Bacon, a black man, got a death sentence while his white accomplice, Bonnie Clark, got a life sentence for murdering her husband. Bacon’s execution was originally scheduled for May, but it was delayed by the state Supreme Court while it considered a defense challenge to the Easley’s ability to fairly consider clemency requests. The state high court later said Easley has an absolute power to consider clemency, despite defense arguments that he is biased because he had been attorney general and argued for executions. Easley held a clemency hearing for Bacon on May 15, but hasn’t announced a decision. Bacon still has appeals pending in U.S. District Court in Raleigh and Onslow County Superior Court. The appeal in Onslow County includes a juror’s statement that the all-white jury talked about blacks dating white women.

Page visited times since 9/18/01

Page last updated 03/10/09