November 2002 Executions

Five killers were executed in November 2002. They had murdered at least 10 people.
killers were given a stay in November 2002. They have murdered at least 4 people.

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
November 6, 2002 Texas Peggy Murphy, 55 James Colburn stayed
James Blake Colburn of Montgomery County was convicted of the June 26, 1994 stabbing of Peggy Murphy, 55, after she rebuffed his sexual advances. In his confession, Colburn admitted that he woke up on the morning of June 26, cooked a steak for breakfast, and decided to go outside. As he crossed the street in front of his apartment, he noticed Peggy Murphy hitchhiking. Colburn introduced himself and invited Murphy into his home. Once inside, Murphy asked for a beer. Colburn went next door and returned with a beer. He then offered to show Murphy some of his artwork, but when she entered his bedroom, Colburn grabbed her and attempted to rape her. When Murphy resisted, Colburn strangled her until she stopped breathing. Colburn then stabbed her in the neck with a steak knife to make sure she was dead. After the murder, Colburn went to a neighbor’s apartment and asked them to call the police. Colburn told the police in a videotaped confession that he killed Peggy because he wanted to go back to prison. Colburn was previously convicted of burglary of a building on Oct. 19, 1977; attempted burglary of a building on Feb. 23, 1978; unauthorized use of a motor vehicle on July 16, 1979; aggravated robbery on May 22, 1980; arson on Jan. 25, 1990; and false statement in acquisition of a firearm on Jan. 2, 1991. Colburn also assaulted his wife with a motorcycle helmet on Jan. 11, 1990, fracturing her cheekbone and causing nerve damage. Colburn also kicked her on another occasion. Colburn had served 6 years of an 18 year sentence for the aggravated robbery charge. He was sent back to prison for parole violations as well as a new 5 year sentence for arson but was released less than a year later. Peggy was murdered about four years after Colburn was released. "I knew what I was doing when I killed her. When I laid her on the bed, something snapped,” Colburn said. When he realized she was dead, he turned himself in, he said. "I’m not scared,” Colburn said. “I’ll be free as I know it. I think this is, in a way, a step in the right direction for me. If I got out, I’m scared somebody else would be hurt or killed.”
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
November 13, 2002 Georgia David Hardin
Katie Christine Back Hardin
William Hodges
William Putman executed
William Putman was executed Wednesday for the deaths of a couple sleeping at a south Georgia rest stop 22 years ago. Putman, 59, was pronounced dead at 7:24 p.m. at the state prison in Jackson, south of Atlanta. Putman declined to make a final statement. When asked, he said, "No, thank you." Asked if he wanted a prayer, he said, "No, No." Putman had instructed his attorney to drop his final appeals, and spent his last two days meeting with 29 family members and friends. Department of Corrections spokeswoman Peggy Chapman described Putman as having been "resigned to his fate," calm and ready to die. The Pardons and Paroles Board considered and then denied clemency for Putman on Tuesday, even though he didn’t seek it, said spokeswoman Heather Hedrick. Witnesses in Putman’s trial said he approached a family sleeping at a rest area off Interstate 75 near Lenox on July 10, 1980. The family was traveling home to Kentucky from a week-long vacation at Daytona Beach, Florida. They had stopped at the rest area around 3:00 am to get some sleep. A witness testified that she saw a semi-truck pulling a flat-bed trailer drive through the parking lot several times. The truck eventually parked at the end of the parking lot. The driver got out, reached into the cab of the truck and retrieved an object before waling toward her car, where she sat on the hood, smoking a cigarette. The man stopped under a nearby tree, approximately five feet away, and whistled at the witness. He then walked behind her car and across the parking lot. He went to the front of the Hardin vehicle and stood there for a few moments. Another witness arrived around this time and observed that a dark-colored semi with an empty, yellow flat-bed trailer was parked at the end of the automobile parking lot and that a man was standing in front of the blue Dodge, whose occupants were all apparently asleep. He testified that, just as he lay down in his automobile, he heard a loud noise that sounded like a firecracker. He looked up and saw a woman in the front passenger’s seat of the Dodge opening the passenger door. The man he had seen earlier ran around the car to her door. The female witness testified that the man walked around to the driver’s side of the Hardin automobile. She heard a loud noise and then the man ran to the passenger’s side of the car. David Hardin’s niece, who had been asleep in the back seat of the Dodge with Katie’s two older children, testified that she was awakened by a loud noise. She saw a man standing outside the car, next to David Hardin, who lay in the driver’s seat with his head resting on the back of the seat, next to the door. The man hurried to the passenger side of the car. All of the witnesses agreed on what happened next: As Katie Hardin tried to get out of the car, the man grabbed her and demanded that she go with him. She refused, and screamed for David, who lay fatally wounded in the driver’s seat. The man shot Katie in the head. He then reached into the car and placed something into the waist-band of his pants. He ran to his truck and drove off, headed north. One of the witnesses called the police, who arrived at the rest area just before 5:30 a.m. Based on information obtained from the witnesses, a lookout was posted for a white male, proceeding north on Interstate 75, driving a dark-blue or black truck pulling an empty, yellow flat-bed trailer. A truck fitting this description was spotted by police just south of Cordele and followed to a rest area in Dooly County. The truck parked in the exit lane of the rest area and the driver went to the restroom. Backup units arrived and the driver, William Howard Putman, was arrested after he returned to his truck. Officers smelled alcohol on Putman’s breath and he was initially taken to the Dooly County Sheriff’s Office for an intoximeter test, which indicated that Putman’s blood alcohol was.13 grams/percent. Putman had what appeared to be blood on his left pants leg. Officers recovered a.38 caliber revolver from under the driver’s seat of Putman’s truck. The revolver had three live rounds and two spent cartridges in its chamber. A gun case and David Hardin’s wallet lay on the passenger’s seat. Putman was returned to Cook County at approximately 7:30 a.m. The female witness was at the courthouse, having just given a statement to investigators. As she stood outside smoking a cigarette, Putman arrived in a police car. She immediately recognized him as the man who had shot David and Katie Hardin. At approximately 2:30 p.m. of the same day, the body of William Gerald Hodges was found slumped over the wheel of his automobile in the parking lot of a truck stop in Valdosta. He had been shot in the head and shoulder. A.38 caliber bullet was recovered from the interior of his automobile and another was recovered from inside his skull. After Putman’s arrival in Cook County, his clothing was removed from him and the contents of his pockets were inventoried. In his shirt pockets were two.38 caliber cartridges and an insurance card bearing the name William G. Hodges. In the pockets of his trousers were a gold Timex wristwatch and two gold rings, one having a red stone and the other a blue stone. The rings and the watch were identified by friends as having belonged to William Hodges. Serological examination of the reddish-brown substance on the leg of Putman’s trousers and on the blue-stone ring established that the substance was blood having characteristics consistent of the blood of William Hodges and inconsistent with the blood of 98.3 percent of the general population. A fresh dent was discovered on the right rear corner of Hodges’ automobile. The dent was horizontal, two or three inches long. Yellow paint was present in the grooves of the dent, and loose flakes of yellow paint surrounded the dent. The yellow paint was the same color as the trailer of Putman’s truck. The.38 caliber revolver found in Putman’s truck was purchased by him at a Talladega, Alabama, pawn shop on May 9, 1980. Ballistics examination showed that the bullet removed from the skull of David Hardin, the bullet removed from the skull of Katie Hardin, the bullet removed from the skull of William Hodges, and the bullet removed from the interior of Hodges’ automobile had all been fired from the same gun: Putman’s.38 caliber revolver. Putman testified that he was returning from Florida on the 9th and 10th of July. He admitted that he stopped at the truck stop in Valdosta at approximately 10:00 p.m. on the 9th. He said he had two beers and three mixed drinks, and then went to sleep in his truck. When he left a couple of hours later, he took with him a hitchhiker known only to him as "Jeff." He stopped briefly at the first rest area north of Valdosta on Interstate 75, near Hahira, to wash his hands, and subsequently let Jeff out at an exit near Adel. He then proceeded directly to the rest area in Dooly County where he was arrested. Putman denied having stopped at the Lenox rest area. He admitted owning the.38 revolver found in his truck, but denied having shot anyone with it. Before trial in the Hardins’s deaths, Putnam was tried in Lowndes County for and found guilty of the murder of William Hodges and sentenced to life. Putman did not close his eyes as the chemicals used for execution went through his system. He looked straight ahead and muttered something unintelligible. He appeared to be having trouble breathing before the chemicals shut down his lungs. The execution was witnessed by Shannon Blincoe, daughter of the slain couple, who was in the front seat of the car when her parents were shot. She was eight months old at the time. Three older children also were in the car when the shootings took place. No members of Putman’s family attended the execution. Putman’s last meal was three eggs over light, toast, bacon, hash browns, vanilla ice cream and two soft drinks. Bob Ellis, a district attorney who worked on the case, said the daughter had told him "My mamma and daddy can finally rest in peace." He said he had stayed in touch with the daughter since the trial.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
November 14, 2002 Virginia Frank A. Darling, 28
Lansing H. Bennett, 66
Mir Aimal Kasi executed
In Fairfax, a judge has scheduled a Nov. 7 execution for a Pakistani who opened fire with an assault rifle outside CIA headquarters in 1993, killing 2 people and injuring 3. Mir Aimal Kasi’s appeals were exhausted last month when the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld his death sentence. Only the Supreme Court or Virginia Gov. Mark R. Warner can intervene. Kasi went on a shooting rampage outside the CIA headquarters in 1993, killing two and wounding three CIA employees. Kasi killed Frank A. Darling, 28, an officer in covert operations, and Lansing H. Bennett, 66, an intelligence analyst, on Jan. 25, 1993. Fairfax County Commonwealth’s Attorney Robert F. Horan said, "If he wasn’t a terrorist, I’ve got to get a new definition." Four Americans were killed in Pakistan in apparent response to Kasi’s 1997 trial. "I’ve tried an awful lot of killers in my life, and I think he’s the only one I’ve run into that is absolutely proud of what he did. You get a lot of killers who don’t feel all that bad about what they did, but he’s proud of it," said Horan. At Kasi’s trial, an FBI agent testified that Kasi confessed he wanted to punish the U.S. government for bombing Iraq, for what he saw as its involvement in the killing of Palestinians, and because the CIA was too deeply involved in the internal affairs of Muslim countries. After the slayings, he fled the country and spent most of the next 4 and a half years traveling in Afghanistan. He was apprehended in a hotel when visiting Pakistan. The victims were slain with an AK-47 assault rifle as they sat in their cars waiting at a stoplight outside CIA headquarters in McLean on Jan. 25, 1993. According to the Web site for Virginians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty, Kasi is looking for pen pals. In soliciting pen pals, Kasi said he is interested in a pen-pal friendship, his hobby is reading books, he speaks English and his native language, Pashto, and that he already is corresponding with "a few old friends." He said he has no religious preference, but in 1997 he told the FBI he did not shoot any women because it was against his Muslim religion. While there was no evidence Kasi had any assistance, the judge ordered the jury sequestered and Kasi was convicted after a 2-week trial that cost about $1.5 million and was held amid unprecedented security at Fairfax Court House. According to the Virginia Supreme Court, in one of his appeals, Kasi contended he should not be sentenced to death because his was a political crime and that his death sentence should be commuted "to avoid possible violent acts of reprisal." On Sept. 11, the day of the terrorist attacks against the World Trade Tower and Pentagon, a federal magistrate judge in Norfolk recommended that Kasi’s appeal be rejected. One juror spoke to the press after the penalty phase of the trial. "I was literally shaking," the juror said of the trial’s penalty deliberations. "I found it probably the hardest thing I have ever had to do because you are practically wielding the sword." The discussion over whether to convict Kasi was much less emotional, the juror said. And he said the case left him feeling sorry both for Kasi’s victims and his family. "They’re not terrorists," he said of relatives of Kasi who sat through the 2-week trial in Fairfax County Circuit Court. "They’re victims, just like the other side." In the sentencing deliberations, jurors methodically laid out the evidence for and against execution. But the 6 men and 6 women discovered that they couldn’t vote right away, the juror said. He then suggested that they talk about their feelings toward the death penalty. "Everybody opened up," he said. "…A lot of people had the same emotions as me. They didn’t like taking human life. We didn’t want to treat terrorists the same as they treat us." The talk broke the stalemate, yielding a 10-2 vote for the death penalty instead of a sentence of life in prison. Eventually, the majority persuaded the 2 holdouts to focus on the crime, not the defendant, the juror said. "A couple of people said you can’t really think of him as he looks now, pathetic," the juror said. "The defense had made him look like a lost soul. You can’t approach him with those eyes, or you can’t kill him." Prosecutor Robert F. Horan argued that Kasi killed in anger and showed no remorse for the killings. "He is proud of it. He set out on a mission to kill people and he accomplished it. It doesn’t bother him," Horan said. The prosecutor added: "It’s hard to find a man who is less unhappy about what he did than this man. He doesn’t have an ounce of sorrow for having killed Frank Darling, not an ounce." Circuit Judge J. Howe Brown Jr. sequestered the jury 2 days after Kasi was convicted, following the ambush slayings of 4 American oil company workers in Karachi. None of the jurors knew of the attack until after the trial ended, the juror told the newspaper. He said they believed they were sequestered to shield them from media coverage of the trial. Jurors had asked the judge on the day Kasi was convicted if any threats had been made, and most were reassured when Brown said no, the juror said. Richard Becker, Darling’s father-in-law, said the family will not involve itself in the appeals. "It has been five years of hell, and I’m not getting any younger," said Becker, 63. "For us, as far as we are concerned, this is over. The decision has been made." Becker’s daughter, Judy Becker Darling, also was a CIA employee and was in the car when her husband was shot. She has not returned to her job. Nearly five years after she crouched beside her dying husband outside the CIA, Judy Becker Darling swallowed hard and wiped away a tear when a jury recommended a Pakistani terrorist die for the killing. Outside the courthouse, Mrs. Darling cried too, but left the talking to her father and brother-in-law. "Praise God is all I can say," Rich Becker, Darling’s father-in law, said as his daughter, Judy Becker Darling, wept softly. "We are grateful to God and elated that after five long years, justice has been finally served." Frank Darling’s father, Russell Darling III said, "Frank loved his job, he loved his country and he loved God. Although he is no longer with us, we know he is in the presence of God." Mrs. Darling testified that after her husband’s murder, she was unable to live in the house she shared with him, and that she couldn’t return to her job at the CIA, where she had worked 13 years. Mrs. Darling was in the car with her husband when he was gunned down, and in tears she told the jury she couldn’t eat, sleep or function normally for almost two years after he was killed. "I just kept telling (my parents) I could smell blood and death," she said. "I just didn’t want to be here anymore. I wanted to be with him." Judy sobbed on the stand as she described her husband’s gruesome death in the car seat next to her. Governor Mark Warner, a Democrat, said: "Mr. Kasi has admitted to the crimes for which he was convicted and shown absolutely no remorse for his actions. After a thorough review of Mr. Kasi’s petition for clemency and the judicial opinion regarding this case, I have concluded that the death penalty is appropriate in the instance. I will not intervene." Earlier in the afternoon, the United States Supreme Court rejected an appeal.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
November 19, 2002 Texas James C. "Boz" Boswell, 28 Craig Ogan executed
jcboswell smallA jury deliberated for five hours before they found Craig Neil Ogan Jr. guilty of killing a Houston police officer who had rejected his demand for immediate attention at a street scene. The officer’s parents hugged and clasped hands after hearing the verdict. The many officers in the courtroom, tears in their eyes, slapped each other on the back and gave the thumbs up sign. "As far as I’m concerned, the worst is over," said Cecil "Sonny" Boswell, father of the slain officer, James C. Boswell, 29. "In our eyes, Jim was on trial." Martha Boswell , the officer’s mother said, "It helps in that his memory is not besmirched." Whether Ogan received the death penalty was insignificant, the Boswells said after the verdict. "His death is not going to bring my son back," Sonny Boswell said. "I’m not going to lose a minute’s sleep over it." Officer A.R. Northcutt, who worked and played golf with Boswell, called the verdict "a big relief. It lets people know that if you do this, you’re not going to get away with it.’ Prosecutors portrayed Ogan as a paranoid, quick-tempered "macho man" who dreamed of becoming a CIA agent. "He snuffed out one of our beautiful people, a man who only wanted to serve," prosecutor Rusty Hardin said. After the penalty phase, the jury deliberated nine hours before sentencing Ogan to death. Boswell’s mother, Martha Boswell of Meridian, Mississippi, voiced mixed feelings about her son’s killer receiving the maximum penalty. "I feel like the evidence was there for the death penalty, just like it was for the verdict of guilty," she said. "We could’ve lived with anything the jury came back with, and killing Mr. Ogan isn’t going to bring our son back, but he needs to be punished for what he did." The panel’s 12:30 a.m. verdict came after they answered "yes" to three key questions, and the last one – did Ogan shoot Boswell on Dec. 9, 1989, without provocation by the officer – was important to the slain officer’s partner, Morgan Gainer. "It’s not something you can feel good about," Gainer said of seeing a man sentenced to death, "but at least Boz’s name is clear now.’ In convicting Ogan, 35, of capital murder, jurors spurned his lawyers’ arguments that the fatal round was fired into Boswell’s temple in self-defense. Ogan claimed the officer called him "a (f***ing) snitch" and tried to shoot him. Boswell, 28, was killed Dec. 9 on a South Main parking lot. Gainer said Ogan walked up to them, wouldn’t abide by directions to wait and killed Boswell for not helping him immediately. Ogan had contended he feared that drug peddlers were out to kill him and he needed Boswell ‘s immediate attention. The officer was writing a traffic ticket, and a woman complainant was waiting to speak to him. Prosecutor Rusty Hardin said a key question for jurors – whether Ogan, 35, is likely to continue to commit acts of violence – was clearly established by his acts from 1981-88. Hardin described Ogan, a St. Louis marijuana peddler turned U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration professional tipster, as a violence-prone "peeping tom" voyeur with an explosive temper. In his testimony, Ogan had tried to downplay his volatile nature, but Hardin countered with testimony from the informant’s former girlfriend, nurse Linda Dunajcik. She said their six-year, live-in affair was characterized by Ogan’s mostly spurning her efforts to get him therapy for being a window peeper and having continual angry outbursts. Dunacjik said she doesn’t believe in the death penalty, but that Ogan seems likely to keep losing his temper. "It could’ve been me," she said quietly. Hardin rebuked Ogan for carrying a pistol when he approached Boswell Dec. 9 to ask for help, for claiming an unprovoked officer meant to shoot him with a dozen witnesses nearby and for saying the officer went berserk on meeting a federal drug informant. After Ogan testified he was discharged prematurely from the Navy for having a "passive-aggressive personality defect," Hardin sought to prove he has a fiery temper. Hardin particularly tried to show Ogan was "angry" when he killed Boswell, contrary to his testimony he was calmly trying to get help after a day in which he was menaced with a gun by alleged drug dealers and then checked into a motel room with no heat. Ogan said he felt uncomfortable dealing with black drug offenders, and on the day before Boswell’s death he had a dispute with some of them who accused him of being "a narc.’ After Ogan had a pistol-pointing confrontation with them outside a restaurant, the DEA had a Houston police unit relocate Ogan to a South Main motel across from where Boswell was killed. But the heat was off in his room, Ogan said. He was cold, unhappy about an argument with a motel clerk and afraid the black dealers might have found his new hiding place. So on seeing Boswell’s police unit stopped at the Stop N Go at South Main and Westridge, he said, he crossed the street to get help. Minutes later, Ogan shot Boswell, then was shot in the back by Boswell’s partner, Morgan Gainer, as he was fleeing. Ogan repeatedly denied being mad when the fatal shot was fired, but he admitted he can lose his temper if pushed and, just before Boswell’s killing, got angry enough at the motel’s desk clerk that he kicked a door. "Did you feel Officer Boswell wasn’t taking you seriously?" Hardin asked. "I felt Officer Boswell got very hostile," Ogan testified. Ogan steadfastly maintained that Boswell, faced with the defendant’s persistent demands for help and refusal to just wait, jumped from his patrol car and fumbled for his gun. In several instances, Ogan has maintained Boswell was having trouble with his holster flap. But Hardin pointed out that Boswell ‘s holster had no flap. "All I know is he was fumbling for his gun," Ogan said. "I don’t know if he had a flap. It all happened in seconds.’ Ogan said his life was literally rerouted by reading the book "I Led Three Lives". It concerns a man who infiltrated Communist organizations, and from his teens that’s the spy status Ogan strived to attain. On the witness stand, Ogan testified he tried for years to get an undercover job with the CIA. All his 1988-89 efforts for the DEA were aimed at getting him a job reference. From 1979 to 1985, St. Louis DEA agent Jerome Hutchinson said, Ogan is known to have sold 100-pound lots of marijuana from Florida every week in his home town. Hardin said the DEA viewed the pot dealer as a sort of "godsend." Not only did he have an established St. Louis import business that gave him a legitimate reason to travel abroad, Ogan spoke Spanish, French and Portuguese and desperately wanted to inform on his drug connections to get a CIA referral. Ogan’s move to Houston came in October 1989 after a Missouri judge ordered some of his secretly made tape recordings turned over to attorneys for the targets of his investigations. In Houston, the DEA told Ogan to get an apartment and "make his face known" at two clubs frequented by Hispanics. He got into a dispute with three men he had been asking about buying kilograms of cocaine. They thought he was a "narc" and had a pistol-pointing confrontation with him outside a restaurant. The DEA told Ogan not to return to his apartment and got Houston police to take him to a motel. Ogan ended up at the Astro Motor Inn on South Main. On the night of Dec. 8, Ogan was unhappy about the heat not working in his motel room and was concerned that he had been found by some of the dealers he’d clashed with earlier. After a dispute with the motel’s desk clerk, Ogan sat in his Yugo. Then, he said, he saw Boswell ‘s car parked across the street at a Stop ‘N Go store. Boswell and Gainer were writing a traffic ticket, and a woman involved in a domestic disturbance was waiting to see them. Gainer said Boswell walked up to Boswell ‘s window and identified himself as a DEA informant. Boswell told Ogan to wait, but Ogan demanded help. Boswell again told Ogan to step back and wait. When Ogan kept talking, Boswell got out of his patrol car, gun held out of sight against his leg and was unlocking the vehicle’s back door when the informant fired the fatal shot. After inexplicably shooting Boswell, Gainer said, Ogan muttered, "Well, (f***) you then," before fleeing. UPDATE: Defiant to the end, a former federal drug informant who aspired to be a CIA agent was executed for killing a Houston police officer 13 years ago. "In killing me, the people responsible have blood on their hands because I am not guilty," Craig Ogan said in a deliberate and firm voice. He described the details that preceded the officer’s death and, as he has in the past, essentially blamed slain Officer James Boswell for the officer’s death. Ogan said Boswell was a "police officer who was out of control." Ogan complained that the courts ignored what he said was evidence of "police and prosecutorial perjury." Without looking at relatives of the slain officer, who watched through a window a few feet away, he alleged that Boswell was angry and was still suffering from an on-the-job injury months before. As he paused briefly trying to collect his thoughts, the lethal drugs kicked in and Ogan snorted and coughed. He was pronounced dead at 7:13 p.m. CST, eight minutes after the lethal dose began. Ogan, 47, from St. Louis, had been in Houston only a few weeks when he fatally shot Boswell the night of Dec. 9, 1989. "I killed a cop and this is Texas," Ogan said recently from death row, insisting the shooting was in self-defense but acknowledging he had little hope of avoiding lethal injection in the nation’s most active death penalty state. Several dozen police officers and police supporters arrived on motorcycles shortly before Ogan’s scheduled execution hour and stood down the street from the prison entrance. "It’s time," said Morgan Gainer, who was Boswell’s partner the night of the fatal shooting. "That’s all." "I really don’t don’t know how to express my feelings," added Sonny Boswell, the officer’s father. "I want justice, but I don’t want it to sound like revenge." Boswell said he declined to go inside to watch Ogan die and preferred to be with Gainer and the others, many of them holding pictures of the slain officer. "I wanted to be outside with his buddies," the father said. "A lot of people say that in Texas they really use that death penalty a lot," said Larry Standley, one of the prosecutors at Ogan’s trial. "But I truly believe if somebody will do that to a cop that quick, just think of what they would do to just anybody else." The execution was delayed for nearly an hour while the U.S. Supreme Court considered a pair of 11th-hour appeals that questioned Ogan’s competency and mental health. "They’re trying to sell me as a nut case," Ogan said of his attorneys’ efforts. "I don’t appreciate that." Ogan was fascinated with espionage, spoke several foreign languages and longed for a job with the CIA. He said he was building a track record by working as a confidential informant in St. Louis for the federal Drug Enforcement Administration. He moved to Houston in late 1989 because he feared his cover had been exposed. The night of Dec. 9, 1989, he got into an argument with a motel clerk, walked outside and spotted a police car where Boswell and his partner were writing a traffic ticket. Ogan interrupted the officers repeatedly, citing his DEA connection, and refused their instructions to wait a few minutes. When he persisted and Boswell got out of the patrol car to unlock the back door of the car, the officer was shot in the head. Ogan tried running away but surrendered after he was shot and wounded in the back by Boswell’s partner. Ogan blamed Boswell for the shooting and contended his reaction was in self-defense. "He went crazy," Ogan said. "This doesn’t make sense. I’m pro-police. If I wanted to kill a cop, I could have blown them both off." Ogan had an "explosive temper and a short fuse," said Standley, now a Harris County judge. "He was just a time bomb, and that’s what happened that night." Ogan contended he was calm, polite and feared for his safety. "He was my son’s judge, jury and executioner in a split second," Martha Boswell, the officer’s mother, said. She noted Ogan had appeals and had sought a reprieve and a commutation. "As far as mercy — he showed Jim no mercy. None whatsoever," she said. A defense psychologist testified at his trial that Ogan suffered from functional paranoia, frequently was anxious, agitated and fearful, and believed the officer was a deadly threat to him. Jurors didn’t buy the self-defense argument, convicting him of capital murder and then deciding he should be put to death. Ogan had no previous prison record but did acknowledge involvement in drug dealing. ARTICLE: Craig Ogan claimed he was a successful informant for the Drug Enforcement
Administration. He also claimed he was a genius. The Harris County District Attorney’s Office and 12 jurors said he is nothing but a cop killer. For that reason, he was executed Tuesday evening at the Huntsville "Walls" Unit. Defiant until the end, Ogan claimed the "real crimes" in his case were "the attempted murder and intimidation of a federal drug informant by Officer James Boswell and Officer Clay Morgan Gaines." Ogan, who was a DEA informant — but never hired by the federal government — shot Boswell on the night of Dec. 8, 1989 after Boswell did not respond to his demands for assistance quickly enough. Even during his final statement, Ogan claimed he was acting in self-defense. "I acted in self-defense and reflex in the face of a police officer who was out of control," he said. "The people responsible for killing me will have blood on their hands for an unprovoked murder." During his final statement, which lasted several minutes, Ogan repeatedly spoke of "physical evidence" and "possible motives" Boswell might have had to hurt him. While speaking about Boswell’s dealing’s with "enemy agents," Ogan suddenly snorted, gasped twice and was silent. At 7:05 p.m., the lethal dose of chemicals had been started. "Very good," commented one unidentified witness. Ogan was pronounced dead at 7:13 p.m. His execution, which had been scheduled to take place an hour earlier, had been delayed while 2 final appeals were heard by the U.S. Supreme Court. One of those appeals claimed Ogan — who boasted of his high IQ — could not be executed because he was mentally retarded. Boswell’s mother, 3 brothers and a sister remained silent during Ogan’s final statement, but spoke briefly to reporters afterward. "He didn’t say anything he hadn’t already said," Martha Boswell, the slain officer’s mother, said. "It didn’t surprise me; I was OK with it." Martha Boswell called Ogan "Jim’s judge, jury and executioner, without a second thought. This is the night justice was finally served, plain and simple," she said. "It’s way past time." Boswell’s father Sonny, confined to a wheelchair, waited outside the "Walls" Unit with nearly 80 motorcyclists who came to show their support for the Boswell family. Most of the motorcyclists were members of the Houston Police Department or Harris County Sheriff’s Department and included Gainer, Boswell’s partner. "It’s time. It’s just time," Gainer said. "I want justice to be done," Sonny Boswell said as he clutched a picture of his son. "The State of Texas pronounced sentence on him, and I think it should be carried out." Originally from Missouri, Ogan was described as a "marginally successful" DEA informant who had moved to Houston after his cover had been blown. After he moved to Houston, he ignored warnings from DEA agents to keep a low profile and became known on the city’s drug scene. The night of the murder Ogan was moved from his apartment to a motel by DEA agents after a drug dealer put a gun to his head and accused him of being a "DEA snitch." Ogan became enraged when he discovered the motel lacked heat and long distance telephone service. He went to the motel’s office to complain, yelling at the clerk and kicking a door in frustration. When he stormed out of the office, he noticed a police cruiser nearby. The vehicle was driven by Boswell and Gainer. Ogan walked over to the cruiser and rapped on Boswell’s window. When Boswell asked Ogan what he wanted, he said, "DEA dropped me off here, and I’m cold." Since the officers were in the middle of a traffic stop, Gainer later testified, Boswell asked Ogan to step back until they were done. Ogan, making what he describes as a "polite request," knocked on the window a 2nd time and continued to ramble about his DEA work. Boswell told him again to back away, and when he refused, Boswell said, "You need to get out of here if you’re not willing to step out of the way and wait. You either need to leave or you’re going to jail." Boswell then got out of the squad car and unlocked the back door of the vehicle. Suddenly, Gainer testified, Ogan grabbed Boswell’s gun, shot him once in the head, and fled. Gainer then shot Ogan in the back and arrested him. Boswell was dead before his body hit the ground. Ogan claimed Boswell was "in an insane rage" when he got out of the car. "I saw his gun clear the holster and/or come into view," he wrote. "Reflex took over… Then I saw the gun in my hand as the horrible realization crept over me. I had just shot a policeman in the head." Ogan used claims of self-defense during his trial and said he feared for his life when he shot Boswell. A Harris County jury did not buy into Ogan’s story, convicting him of capital murder on June 25, 1990, and sentencing him to death 4 days later. While incarcerated at the Polunsky Unit in Livingston, Ogan wrote a remarkable, rambling diatribe about his case — much of which he repeated in his final statement — and posted it on the Internet. In it, he claimed the state of Texas would commit "premeditated mass murder" by executing him and halting his ability to procreate. "Those future Ogans… for anyone knows (may) be blessed with the intellect of an Albert Einstein or George Washington Carver," Ogan wrote. "Haven’t they a right to life, regardless?" Ogan went on to claim Boswell and Gainer committed "federal felonies," that Gainer "via his fabrication and perjury, has thus far avoided imprisonment," and that he was preparing to accept "an offer of immediate employment" with the CIA when he shot Boswell. In the end, none of Ogan’s claims were able to reverse his sentence. As the execution witnesses began to filter out of the "Walls" Unit, the motorcyclists wordlessly turned and drove off into the night. ARTICLE: Tuesday evening, nearly 80 members of Houston and Harris County law enforcement waited outside the Huntsville "Walls" Unit as a sign of solidarity with the family of James Boswell, a Houston police officer murdered by Craig Ogan on Dec. 8, 1989. Ogan, who was sentenced to death for the crime, was executed Tuesday night. "We are here to support the family of an officer killed in the line of duty," said a brief statement released by members of the Los Carnales and La Familia motorcycle clubs. While their support was by far the most visible, other members of law enforcement — including those in Walker County — also had words of sympathy for Boswell’s family. "I just pray for that officer’s family and know he was doing his job," said Sgt. Steve Fisher of the Walker County Sheriff’s Office. "I have feelings towards all people and I don’t want to see anyone killed no matter what. But when it’s a brother officer, it’s a special feeling when you hear they were killed in the line of duty." "You feel pain for the victims. You feel for the families and what they’re going through," said Det. Marvin Hyvl of the Huntsville Police Department. The officers said there is an added, somewhat unnerving, feeling when the murderer of a police officer is scheduled for execution. "It’s a brother officer, even if you don’t work with him personally," Fisher said. "We’re all out here together to serve and protect the people of this county and safe." "It hits you more at home because it was one of the guys in blue, so to speak," Hyvl said. "If someone is killed and if it’s deliberate, the other person has to pay for that crime. They’ve got to pay what the law says they’ve got to pay. I believe the death penalty is a deterrent." "There’s always a chance that it could happen to you, so you do feel it," said HPD officer Slavin Richards. "(Ogan’s execution) just makes the streets a little bit safer for all of us. If he’d shoot a cop, he’d shoot anyone."
"Having something like that is always a possibility when you’re in this profession. I just keep my faith in the good Lord," Fisher said. "When you’ve got a guy who kills an officer like that, he’s definitely a danger to the public."
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
November 19, 2002
November 21, 2002
Georgia Brenda Watson James Brown stayed
At approximately 8:30 p.m. of May 12, 1975, James Brown and Brenda Watson arrived at the Mark Inn lounge in Gwinnett County. They ate a carryout steak and potato dinner that they had brought with them and spent several hours drinking and dancing. They left together at approximately 11:00 p.m. Brenda Watson’s body was found the next day near a trash pile close to an old logging road in a heavily wooded area some 500 feet off Deshon Road in Gwinnett County. A cord was tied around her left ankle, and she had indentations on her wrists and her right ankle which could indicate she had been tied there also. She was nude except for a blue terrycloth blouse which was pulled up over her breasts. A pair of panties had been forced so far down her throat that they were not discovered until the autopsy. Warren Tillman of the State Crime Lab testified that Brenda Watson’s death was caused by suffocation from the panties in her throat. He discovered seminal fluid and sperm in Brenda’s throat and vagina. From abrasions and contusions around the victim’s vagina, Tillman concluded that she had been raped and that this had occurred before her death. An undigested meal of steak and potatoes was found in the her stomach. Since a meal is usually digested within 4 hours, Tillman estimated that Brenda died no later than 4:00 a.m. James Brown was arrested May 15. Nylon cord found in his car was identical to that tied around Brenda’s left ankle. A hairbrush found in Brown’s car contained hair similar in color and medulation to the victim’s hair. Brown was questioned May 16. He initially denied knowing Brenda Watson. Upon being informed that he had been seen with her the night before her body had been discovered, he admitted that he and Brenda had gone to the Mark Inn for drinks, but claimed that afterwards they went to a lounge off Covington Highway, where he left her. Later he stated that when they left the Mark Inn, Brenda suggested they go to a quiet place in the country. Brown took her to a secluded spot off Deshon Road. When he did, she told him that if he didn’t pay her $200 she was going to call the police and claim he had tried to rape her. Brown’s response was to tie her up and gag her. Then he decided he might as well have sexual intercourse with her. So he did. On his way home he discovered that her pocketbook was still in his car. He stopped at a bridge on Killian Hill Road and threw the pocketbook into the Yellow River. Brenda was the third woman Brown had attacked, but the other two were fortunate enough to have escaped with their lives. UPDATE: A Butts County judge stepped in Tuesday and gave death row inmate James Willie Brown, 54, at least 2 more days to live. The stay gives Butts County Superior Court Judge Kevin A. Wangerin time to consider a 1,000-page petition filed by Brown’s attorneys, who argue that Brown is mentally ill and should not be executed. The judge could decide to overturn Brown’s conviction and death sentence. The state Board of Pardons and Paroles is considering a request for executive clemency. "Why does James Willie Brown kill people? I can’t answer that, but I don’t think it’s because he’s crazy," Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter said. Brown, who has a borderline genius IQ, was sentence to die in 1990 in the May 13, 1975, death of Brenda Sue Watson, 21, near the Gwinnett-DeKalb county line. Watson, an Atlanta go-go dancer, was bound at the ankles and wrists and raped while she suffocated on her panties. Brown’s new execution date has been set for 7:01 p.m. Thursday. The request for executive clemency was filed Monday by Brown’s attorneys, Jeffrey L. Ertel and Laura Hill Patton, of the Federal Defender Program. Brown, who claims he was sexually and physically abused as a child, began having severe headaches and blackouts at age 14, according to the request for clemency. Brown’s attorneys argued that his illness causes him to hallucinate, to fear others are trying to kill him and to hear what he believes are voices of God and demons directing his actions. Porter has said Brown was a suspect in at least 2 other metro slayings, but was not prosecuted because the bodies in those cases were too decomposed to be identified. UPDATE: In Atlanta, a judge has issued an indefinite stay on the planned execution of a man convicted of raping and strangling an Atlanta go-go dancer. Butts County Superior Court Judge Kevin A. Wangerin stopped the execution of James Willie Brown on Wednesday, the day before the killer was scheduled to die by lethal injection. Based on a contention by Brown that prosecutors knowingly introduced false testimony against him at trial, Judge Wangerin granted the prisoner’s motion for habeas corpus.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
November 20, 2002 Texas Martha Lindsey, 50
Alexandra Heath, 27
Elbert Sitton, 71
William Chappell executed
William Wesley Chappell killed his former girlfriend’s family in retaliation for testifying against him in an indecency trial. Chappell of Fort Worth, was sentenced to death in October 1996 for killing the family of Jane Sitton, his former girlfriend. On May 3, 1988, Chappell broke into the family’s home, robbed and shot Martha Lindsey, 50, and Elbert Sitton, 71, as they sat watching television in their bedroom, court records showed. Chappell then shot Alexandra Heath while she slept, thinking she was Jane Sitton. The evidence illustrates that Chappell had a strained relationship with Lindsey, Sitton, and their daughter, Jane Sitton – Alexandra’s half sister. Chappell, who was then 43 or 44 years old, and Jane, who was then 14 or 15 years old, began dating in 1981 or 1982 and stopped seeing each other in 1983 or 1984. In May 1984, Chappell was indicted for molesting Jane’s daughter. Martha Lindsey had reported the offense to police. In May 1987, Chappell was found guilty of one count of indecency with a child and was sentenced to five years confinement. Chappell was released on bond pending appeal. After the indecency trial, the Lindsey/Sitton family congregated outside the courtroom. When Chappell came out, he informed Lindsey that "it wasn’t over yet" and that he "would get her for that." Chappell related this threat to his then-wife Sally Hayes, denied molesting Jane’s daughter and said that Lindsey and the Sittons were after his money. Chappell stated that he wanted to "do away" with the Lindsey/Sitton family. In January 1988, Hayes drove Chappell to Lindsey’s home where Elbert and Jane also resided. Chappell had purchased gasoline and put it in jugs. Hayes let Chappell out near Lindsey’s home and drove around for 15 minutes. When Chappell signaled Hayes with his flashlight, she picked him up. Chappell no longer had the jugs and said that he had set fire to Lindsey’s house. Chappell became upset when he later learned that the home suffered relatively little damage and that none of the occupants were injured. In February 1988, Chappell and Hayes went to a gun show. Hayes testified that she purchased ammunition, an extra barrel, a spring, and a "small round thing with holes in it" that fit over the barrel of the gun. Thereafter, Chappell began working on a silencer for the gun. In March 1988, Chappell and Hayes purchased two walkie-talkies at Radio Shack. In April 1988, Chappell settled an unrelated personal-injury suit against a church and received a cashier’s check for $66,000. That same month, Chappell and Hayes went to Hornbeak, Tennessee, where Hayes owned a house. Chappell brought $60,000 of his settlement to put into certificates of deposit in hopes of preventing the Lindsey/Sitton family from getting it. Hayes testified that Chappell planned to return to Texas and the Lindsey home in order to kill anyone who happened to be in it. On May 3, 1988, Chappell and Hayes left Tennessee at 10:30 a.m. in a van. They arrived in Fort Worth around 8:30 p.m. and stopped at a grocery store. While Hayes went into the store, Chappell changed into dark clothing, makeup and a wig. Chappell also had a black ski mask, brown gloves and a nylon tote bag containing a walkie-talkie, the 9-mm gun, a pistol, the silencer, clips for the guns, a crowbar, and wire cutters. Sometime after 9:00 p.m. Hayes let Chappell out of the van near Lindsey’s home. Hayes then drove around the neighborhood waiting for Chappell to contact her by walkie-talkie. Fifteen to 20 minutes later, Chappell contacted Hayes, and she picked him up. When he got into the van, Chappell stated that he had "shot Jane, her mother, and her daddy." He also said that he had taken some money to make it look like a robbery. The pair then drove back to Tennessee, where they disposed of as much evidence as possible. Chappell was shocked when he learned that it was not Jane, but her half sister, Alexandra Heath, whom he had killed. Heath was shot in the face 4 times and in the right arm twice, while lying in bed and died at the scene. Sitton, who was wounded six times but survived for two months in the hospital, was able to tell the emergency room physician that he believed the intruder was the same man who raped his daughter or granddaughter. [The physician could not remember whether Sitton said "daughter" or "granddaughter."] Before his death, Sitton told a Fort Worth police officer that an intruder wearing a ski mask had confronted Sitton and Lindsey in their bedroom. After Lindsey complied with the intruder’s demand for money, the intruder shot the couple several times. Lindsey died two days later. Article: William Wesley Chappell molested her daughter. He vandalized her family’s house and cars. He killed her parents and sister. Today, Jane Sitton plans to watch him die. It was May 1987. William Wesley Chappell had just been sentenced to five years in prison for molesting his ex-girlfriend’s 4-year-old daughter. Furious that the child’s mother, Jane Sitton, and her family had testified against him, Chappell vowed to get even. The following year — free on an appeal bond — Chappell did. According to court testimony, Chappell embarked on a terror campaign against the Sitton family, vandalizing their property and firebombing their home. When they escaped the fire uninjured, Chappell began preparing for a nighttime assault that, in the end, left 3 people dead and secured him a place on Texas’ death row. This evening, barring any last-minute intervention, Chappell will be executed for the May 3, 1988, fatal shooting of Sitton’s sister, Alexandra Heath, 27, and their parents, Martha Lindsey, 50, and Elbert Sitton, 71. Sitton, who authorities believe was one of the intended targets that night, will travel to Huntsville to watch Chappell take his final breath. "I think putting him to death is more of a protection to society than anything else," Sitton said. "If anyone should be put to death, I guess it should be him." Sitton’s brother, Geoffrey Lindsey, said he will be there, too — "for the off-chance the guy might show some kind of remorse. If he did," he said, "it would be closure." This week, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals and a federal judge denied Chappell’s request for a stay of execution. David Sergi of San Marcos, Chappell’s appellate attorney, said he would ask the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals and Supreme Court to stop the execution. "He is hoping that God gives him a miracle," Sergi said. Steven Conder, chief of post-conviction writs for the Tarrant County District Attorney’s Office, said it is not uncommon to see a flurry of activity in the days before an execution. "They are trying to find last-minute things to catch the attention of a court or a judge," Condor said. "But by this point, all of the significant issues have already been fleshed out. I would think, at this point, his chances are not very good." Sitting outside her Fort Worth home one night last week, 38-year-old Sitton spoke publicly for the first time about her relationship with Chappell, the molestation of her daughter and the brutal slayings of her sister and parents. In an emotional and raw interview, Sitton said she has nothing to hide anymore. But to understand her feelings now, she said, one must first understand her life back then. Sitton was 15 when she met Chappell, the summer before her sophomore year in high school. She was already a single mother raising an 18-month-old daughter. Chappell owned a boat shop in north Fort Worth, across the street from the restaurant where Sitton was a waitress, and he often came in for lunch. He was more than twice her age, but he was charming and flashy, driving motorcycles and wearing gold chains. "He started flirting with me and leaving very big tips," Sitton recalled. "It didn’t occur to me to ask him how old he was. He was like 32 or 33. He was two years older than my mom." Sitton was smitten with Chappell. Her parents, however, were not. "Oh, my mother hated him when she first met him," Sitton said. "She said he gave her the willies." Still, Sitton continued the relationship, which, she said, was wonderful until her junior year in high school. "I started fooling around with someone else, and I gave Bill a social [venereal] disease," Sitton said. "And for that, he beat the hell out of me. It didn’t get any better from there." The abuse escalated, Sitton said, and eventually her young daughter fell victim to it, too. "He threatened to kill me, burn my bones and cast my dust to the wind," Sitton said. "You get yourself into something and now you can’t get out. And somehow, he convinces me that I should allow him to molest my daughter. Basically, I have to give her to him." Sitton removed her glasses and began to sob. "And that’s why the first trial [on the molestation charge] was the hardest, because I had to get up and tell everyone that." Sitton’s younger brother, Geoffrey Lindsey, was the first in her family to learn what was going on. A few days before Christmas, he and his little niece were watching the TV show Magnum P.I. "It was a kissing scene, and she blurted out, ‘That’s what me and Bill do,’" Geoffrey Lindsey said recently at his sister’s house. "I went ‘huh?’ and went and told my mom. I was 13 or 14 at the time." Geoffrey Lindsey’s mother, Martha Lindsey, contacted authorities and Chappell was tried in May 1987 for molesting the child. "From there," Sitton said, "the wheels of justice took over." Sitton, her brother, her mother and other family members all testified against Chappell, and he was sentenced to five years in prison. After the trial, Sitton said, Chappell pointed his finger at Sitton’s mother and said, "This is not over yet." Chappell was later released from jail on an appeal bond. Afterward, Sitton said, the family’s house and cars were occasionally vandalized. And in January 1988, their home was set on fire with a Molotov cocktail, but everyone escaped uninjured. "That’s when I said, ‘He’s getting serious now,’" Sitton said. "I moved out of the house, and my sister moved into my old bedroom." According to court testimony, interviews, prison records and Star-Telegram articles, on May 3, 1988, Chappell equipped himself with walkie-talkies, two guns and a silencer; blackened his face; dressed in dark clothing; and broke into Sitton’s parents home. Her parents were shot multiple times as they lay in bed watching television. Her sister was slain while reading a book in Sitton’s old bedroom. After the massacre, according to court testimony, Chappell radioed to his wife, Sally Hayes, that he was "coming home" — the code for her to come and get him. Hayes, now divorced from Chappell, testified during his capital murder trial that when he got into the van, he told her that he shot the child’s mother and her parents — not realizing that Sitton had moved out. Heath, a pharmacy technician at John Peter Smith Hospital, died instantly. Sitton’s mother, a nurse, died at a hospital 36 hours after the shooting. Her father, a retired Star-Telegram linotype operator, held on for 2 months and gave investigators a description of the gunman. Sitton said she also knew who was responsible. "The police asked me, ‘Do you have any idea who did this?’ Sitton said. "I immediately gave his name." Hayes was the 1st one arrested in the case and received 10 years’ probation in exchange for her testimony against Chappell. While Chappell was in jail on capital murder charges, he was unable to make bail but had heard that his wife was planning to testify against him. Chappell got someone to post bail for a fellow Tarrant County Jail inmate and hired him to kill Hayes, according to court testimony. Instead of carrying out the plan, however, the inmate reported the plot to prosecutors. Meanwhile, Sitton — who had since graduated as salutatorian from North Side High School and had attended college for 3 years — was in anguish over her sister’s and parents’ deaths. "I took my inheritance, and I shoved it up my nose," Sitton said. "Anything and everything. I hung out with the wrong crowd and got really heavy into the punk scene." Sitton said her mother’s best friend eventually helped her straighten out her drug problem. She is now an account clerk at RadioShack and lives with her longtime boyfriend, with whom she has a 6-year-old son and a 10-year-old daughter. The child who was molested is now 23 and living in Abilene — and plans to be at the execution. The course to justice for Sitton and her family has been long and difficult. Chappell’s capital murder case went to trial 3 times. He was 1st sent to death row in 1989, but that verdict was overturned on a technicality in 1993. Later that year, Chappell’s retrial was abruptly aborted during jury selection because another Death Row inmate, Ricky Lee Green, had confessed to the slayings. Prosecutors contend that the confession was a ruse thought up by Chappell and Green when they were on death row together. Green has since been executed for the sexual mutilation death of Steven Fefferman, an advertising executive with KXAS/Channel 5. In 1996, Chappell’s case went to trial again and jurors once again sentenced him to death — a sentence that Sitton and others hope will finally be carried out today. Greg Miller, who was the prosecutor in Chappell’s second and third trials with Sharon Johnson, said the world will be much safer without Chappell. "He is such a schemer and such a plotter," Miller said. "If he somehow got out or escaped, there would be some people’s lives in jeopardy. There is no doubt in my mind that he would kill some people." Sitton said she has no expectations about his execution. Even now, more than 14 years after the killings, she is consumed with grief, guilt and anger — feelings she isn’t sure will die along with Bill Chappell. "One thing I’ve really wondered over the years is why on earth was I spared?" Sitton said. "My sister basically took my place. I’ve had tremendous feelings of guilt. I think, ‘If only I had obeyed my mom, none of this would have happened.’ And every once in a while, I’m angry that my parents let me go out with him in the 1st place. But now, I know, it’s not anyone’s fault but Bill’s."
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
November 20, 2002 Missouri Stanley Albert William Jones executed
William R. Jones was convicted of the January 1986 shooting death of Stanley Albert. Albert’s body was found wrapped in a blanket in a wooded area near Independence in early March of 1986. He had been shot five times in the neck and chest. Jones was a bisexual person who was sometimes employed as a male stripper. He became acquainted with Stanley Albert, with whom he had a homosexual relationship, in late 1985. Jones was 21 and Albert was in his fifties. In November of 1985 Albert purchased a white 1985 Camaro Z28. Beginning in December of 1985, Jones told several people that his father was going to help him acquire a white Camaro. On January 16, 1986 at 4:30 p.m. Albert pulled up in front of Jones’ apartment in his Camaro, apparently to keep a prior engagement. Jones borrowed a blanket from his roommate and left with Albert in the car. He told his roommate that his new car had arrived. He said he was going to pick up some new tires and didn’t want to get the car dirty. That same evening Jones offered his roommate a ride in the Camaro, which was accepted. During the ride he crushed a pair of sunglasses, remarking that the owner would not need them anymore. He confirmed a tentative arrangement with a female acquaintance to drive her to Indianapolis in his "new car" the following Sunday. He left the apartment early the next morning, purchased a shovel with his roommates credit card, and returned in the afternoon. He had the license plates which had previously been on Albert’s Camaro, explaining that he had to give them back to the man who sold him the car and that his father was getting him new plates. He complained to his roommate, saying, "well, it gets pretty tiring when you drag a dead man through the woods." On January 19, Jones picked up his female acquaintance in Topeka, Kansas and they set out on the projected trip to Indianapolis. He was accosted by the Missouri Highway Patrol for speeding and successfully outran the police in a high speed chase through Lafayette and Saline counties, during which he compared his companion and himself to Bonnie and Clyde. He abandoned the car at a farmhouse near Malta Bend and was apprehended about three and a half hours later. The car bore Johnson County, Kansas, license plates stolen from another car. Albert did not report to work on January 17, and was not seen again. His body was found in a wooded area near Independence on March 2, 1986. The medical examiner estimated that he had been dead between two weeks and several months. The body was wrapped in a blanket identical in appearance to the one Jones has borrowed from his roommate. Albert had been shot five times in the neck and chest. Three of the bullets had been fired from the same weapon and the other two could have been. No murder weapon was ever found.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
November 21, 2002 Texas Cari Crews, 16
Jesus Garza, 17
James Clark stayed
In the early morning of June 7, 1993, James Lee Clark and James Brown arrived at a Texaco store in Denton, Texas, and asked the store clerk to call an ambulance for Brown who had suffered a gunshot wound. Subsequent investigation revealed that Brown accidentally shot himself in the leg at point blank range with a shotgun while he and Clark were assaulting Shari Catherine "Cari" Crews, 16 and Jesus Garza, 17, at Clear Creek. Police recovered both bodies from the creek and determined that Crews had been sexually assaulted by Clark, as verified by DNA evidence, and then killed with a single shotgun wound (a contact wound) to the back of the head. Garza also died from a single shotgun wound, but it was to the left side of his chin or jaw. Powder residue revealed a short muzzle-to-wound distance, but it was not a contact wound. Police also recovered a 12 gauge double barrel shotgun and a.22 caliber rifle from the crime scene. Further investigation revealed that Clark and Brown, both parolees, stole the shotgun and rifle in car burglaries on June 4, 1993. The stock of the rifle had been shortened and police found the sawed off portion while searching Clark’s residence; the stock of the shotgun was cracked. The search of Clark’s residence also produced tennis shoes splattered with the blood of Brown, Crews, and Garza. During interrogation, Clark stated that Brown instigated the incident; shot himself while using the shotgun as a bludgeon to strike Garza in the head; and, after suffering the severe gunshot wound to the leg, shot and killed both victims. Brown contended that Clark killed both victims. Clark was indicted on the charge of capital murder arising out of the June 7, 1993, robbery, sexual assault, and death of Crews. Clark was convicted of the capital murder on April 29, 1994, and he was sentenced to death on May 3, 1994.

Page visited times since 9/29/02

Page last updated 06/18/05