November 2007 Executions

Six killers were given a stay in November 2007. They have murdered at least 8 people.

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
November 1, 2007 Arizona Greg Brown
Chester Dean Dyer
Jeffrey Landrigan stayed

Jeffrey Timothy Landrigan, aka Billy Patrick Wayne Hill, was convicted of first degree murder and sentenced to life imprisonment for the fatal stabbing of his best friend, Greg Brown, after they and some friends had smoked marijuana and drank whiskey at a trailer park in Dewey, Oklahoma, on August 24, 1982. According to testimony presented at trial, Landrigan, accompanied by his wife and son, arrived at the trailer home of Gordon Aiken at about 8 p.m. that evening. Soon after they arrived, Landrigan, his family and Aiken went to purchase a fifth of whiskey. On their way back to the trailer park, the group picked up Landrigan’s brother-in-law, Robert Martinez. When they returned to the trailer, Landrigan, Greg Brown, David Detjan and Donna Favier began drinking whiskey and smoking marijuana cigarettes. Landrigan and Greg Brown began calling one another a "punk," and began arguing whether Landrigan could beat the victim in a fight. As Landrigan started to leave, Greg Brown pushed him against the trailer wall, and told Landrigan, "if you want to settle the argument, we can take it outside." Brown went outside, followed by Landrigan. According to Aiken’s testimony, Landrigan was holding a knife behind his back. Aiken testified he rushed to a bedroom to find his rifle. In the meantime, however, Landrigan lunged at Brown and stabbed him in the chest. Aiken returned to the living room with the rifle. Detjan took the rifle, pointed it at Landrigan and told him to "back up or I’m going to blow your head off." Landrigan escaped between two cars as his victim collapsed on the ground. Landrigan ran to the machine shop of Alvin Burns and told Burns that he had "wasted a guy." He later told Washington County Undersheriff Jim Eppler, "Jim, I tried to kill the m____ f____. I don’t take that shit off nobody. I cut him twice. I think I cut him twice." Landrigan testified on his own behalf that as the men continued to drink, he could see that what began as friendly teasing was now making the victim angry. Landrigan testified that, as he was leaving, the victim grabbed him by the throat and threatened to "whip my ass." Landrigan said the men went outside. He also testified that he attempted to go back into the trailer, but someone inside pointed the shotgun in his direction. Landrigan jumped at Brown, but did not know he had a knife in his hand when he hit the victim. However, Brown did have a knife as he approached Landrigan, according to Landrigan’s testimony. In 1986, while in custody for Greg Brown’s murder, Landrigan repeatedly stabbed another inmate and was subsequently convicted of assault and battery with a deadly weapon. Three years later, Landrigan escaped from prison and murdered Chester Dean Dyer in Arizona. An Arizona jury found Landrigan guilty of theft, second-degree burglary, and felony murder for having caused the victim’s death in the course of a burglary. At sentencing, Landrigan’s counsel attempted to present the testimony of Landrigan’s ex-wife and birth mother as mitigating evidence. But at Landrigan’s request, both women refused to testify. When the trial judge asked why the witnesses refused, Landrigan’s counsel responded that "it’s at my client’s wishes." When counsel tried to explain that Landrigan had worked in a legitimate job to provide for his family, Landrigan interrupted and stated "if I wanted this to be heard, I’d have my wife say it." When counsel characterized Landrigan’s first murder as having elements of self-defense, Landrigan interrupted and clarified: "He didn’t grab me. I stabbed him." Responding to counsel’s statement implying that the prison stabbing involved self-defense because the assaulted inmate knew Landrigan’s first murder victim, Landrigan interrupted to clarify that the inmate was not acquainted with his first victim, but just "a guy I got in an argument with. I stabbed him 14 times. It was lucky he lived." At the conclusion of the sentencing hearing, the judge asked Landrigan if he had anything to say. Landrigan made a brief statement that concluded, "I think if you want to give me the death penalty, just bring it right on. I’m ready for it." In later appeals, Landrigan alleged that his lawyers had failed to explore mitigation evidence.

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
November 6, 2007 Texas Mary Amie Allen Bridgers stayed

Allen Bridgers, originally from Virginia, was sentenced to die for the May 25, 1997 murder of 53-year-old Mary Amie in Smith County, Texas. Mary had borrowed $1600 from her bank in order to build a fence, and the money was in her purse. Mary also kept her jewelry, valued at between $2000 – 3000 in her purse. Bridgers had been living with Mary, and shot her with a.38-caliber revolver after she got in bed with him. He had lain in bed with the pistol hidden under his pillow while she took a shower, and shot her in the face and the back when she crawled into bed. He then grabbed her purse and stole her 1985 Lincoln Town Car and drove to the bus terminal in Dallas. Amy’s body was found by her niece. Bridgers was arrested in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida several days after the murder. Bridgers gave police a taped statement. Bridgers was previously convicted in federal court of reckless driving, attempting to evade police officers, and carrying a concealed weapon. Further, Bridgers has prior convictions in the State of Georgia for burglary and credit card fraud.

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
November 8, 2007 Arkansas Jane Daniel Don Davis stayed

jane danielGovernor Mike Beebe set a Nov. 8 execution date for death-row inmate Don William Davis. Davis was sentenced to death for the 1990 slaying of Jane Daniel of Rogers, Arkansas. Davis shot and killed Jane Daniel in the course of burglarizing her home. Jane Daniel was found dead in a storage room in her home from a shot to the back of her head. Several items of jewelry and other property were missing from the home, including a pearl necklace and a camera. Investigators later discovered that Davis had pawned some of Jane’s property and had hidden the murder weapon in his bedroom. Davis had stolen the gun during a previous burglary of a neighbor’s home. Davis’s fingerprints were found at the scene. Jane Daniel was a beloved member of the community – an artist, the mother of four children and the wife of Richard Daniel. In a recent interview, Jane’s husband Richard remembered the day of the murder. "I got home about eight o’clock or thereabout and entered the house and my wife obviously didn’t respond to my calls and I searched the house and found her downstairs. When I touched her arm, she was laying on the floor, face down in a pool of blood. Her arm was cold." Richard found Jane approximately seven hours after the murder. Richard and other family members were initially considered suspects and police had little to go on. "We spent most of the night being questioned about what we knew about it; course we knew nothing." Don Davis emerged as a suspect several weeks after the murder, following a reward being put up by Jane’s family. Davis was charged with capital murder, burglary, and theft of property in November 1990. Davis was declared indigent by the state trial court and pled not guilty and not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect due to his ADHD. Psychiatric evaluations determined that Davis was competent to stand trial and "did not lack the capacity to conform his conduct to the requirements of law at the time of the crime" and Davis was found guilty of capital murder. Of Davis, Richard Daniel says, "There are some evil, dark people in the world…. He does not deserve to live."

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
November 15, 2007 Pennsylvania Lloyd Gehret, 67 Ramon Sanchez stayed

Ramon Sanchez was convicted in 2003 for the murder of 67-year-old Lloyd Gehret of Allentown, Pennsylvania. Sanchez committed the crime back in 2001. Sanchez, a New York City native, was found guilty back in 2003. His death sentence was set in March of 2003 when a Lehigh County jury unanimously decided that Sanchez plotted Gehret’s murder and killed him in his small Allentown, Pennsylvania apartment back in 2001. Pictures of Gehret’s blood-splattered apartment were shown to jurors just prior to making their decision. Evidence showed that Sanchez beat the elderly man with a hammer, stabbed him with a screwdriver, and finally cut his neck with a utility knife all while Lloyd was remodeling his apartment. The then 19-year-old Sanchez had just moved to Allentown a few months before.

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
November 15, 2007 Florida Junny Rios-Martinez, 11 Mark Schwab stayed

Click for larger image - Junny Rios-MartinezMark Schwab had a previous criminal record of child sexual assault. On 02/22/88, Schwab pled guilty to two counts of Sexual Battery and was sentenced to eight years in prison and 15 years on probation. The agreement included the waiving of five counts, including Lewd and Lascivious Assault upon a Child, False Imprisonment, and three counts of Sexual Battery. Schwab was released from prison in March of 1991 after serving three years for sexual assault. On 04/18/91, Junny Rios-Martinez was kidnapped, raped, and murdered. His body was discovered on 04/21/91. During the same month that Schwab was released from prison, a picture of Junny Rios-Martinez, the victim, was published in the newspaper. Schwab saw the picture and called the family on the phone claiming that he was writing an article on the boy. Through this action and the promise of assisting the boy in a acquiring a contract to represent a surfing company, Schwab became friendly with the boy’s family. On 04/18/91, a schoolmate of Junny’s reported that Junny had gotten into a U-Haul truck with a man. On 04/20/91, Schwab called his aunt in Ohio and told her that someone named “Donald” had made him kidnap and rape Rios-Martinez with threats of killing Schwab’s mother. On 04/21/91, the police were questioning Schwab’s aunt when Schwab called. The police recorded and traced the phone call with her permission. Upon learning Schwab’s location, the police arrested Schwab in a neighboring Ohio town. Schwab told police where to find the body of Junny Rios-Martinez, which was discovered in a rural part of the county inside of a footlocker. Schwab’s community supervision was revoked, and he was resentenced to Life on 07/01/92. Schwab was convicted and sentenced to death for the murder of eleven-year-old Junny Rios-Martinez. UPDATE: From WXJT TV station in Jacksonville. A condemned Florida man scheduled to be executed Thursday remained on Death Row after the U.S. Supreme court ordered a postponement. The high court intervened just hours before Mark Schwab would have been put to death for murdering 11-year-old Junny Rios-Martinez. Police said Schwab kidnapped, raped and strangled Junny in 1991. The blocked execution prompted Junny’s family to speak out about their wait for justice. "I would be lying to you if I told you I wasn’t disappointed… we are," said Junny Rios-Martinez Sr. Surrounded by family and friends, the Rios-Martinez clan said it refuses to be defeated by a justice system that has given Schwab something their son was never afforded — more time to live. "They may think it’s cruel and unjust to him, but what they did to us today is just as cruel and unjust," said Junny’s mother, Vickie Rios-Martinez. The U.S. Supreme Court granted Schwab a stay of execution as the justices consider appeals that claim lethal injection is cruel and unusual punishment for Death Row inmates. The decision came just four hours before Schwab was to die at the state prison in Starke, Fla. So much of Thursday was about Schwab, Junny’s family urged everyone to focus on the real victim — Junny. The family said what happened to their loved one 16 years ago is sickening. Junny won a kite flying in March 1991contest and his picture appeared in an Orlando newspaper and Schwab saw the boy’s picture and that was how the convicted sex offender found his victim. Schwab befriended Junny’s parents by claiming he was a newspaper reporter writing an article about the kite contest. Weeks later, Schwab called Junny’s school and lied to staff, saying he was the boy’s father and he should met him after school. Junny was raped and murdered. His body found in a Brevard county footlocker. The boy was one of seven children. His family has endured unimaginable pain. Junny’s family said they survived Thursday’s ruling because of their love for their lost son. "He murdered our son but he did not murder his spirit, and he still lives in each one of my grandchildren and my children, and that is our strength," said Junny’s father. Junny’s parents said they have proof their son’s spirit is with them: one of their grandchildren was born on Junny’s birthday, another one was born on the day Junny died and Junny’s sister birthday was the day Junny’s killer was supposed to be executed.

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
November 27, 2007 Texas Christine Vu, 26
Wendi Prescott, 20
Dale Scheanette stayed

On Christmas Eve of 1996, Norman and Brenda Norwood became worried about their twenty-year old niece, Wendie Prescott, when she failed to show-up for a planned shopping trip with her sister. Around 11:00 pm, Norman went to Prescott’s apartment, only to discover her naked body lying face down in a partially filled bathtub. Her neck, hands and feet were tied in duct tape, which trailed from her neck down behind her back to her hands and feet. The medical examiner believed that she had been bound in this fashion prior to death. The autopsy revealed that Prescott had been manually strangled, with the possibility that her immersion in the tub also played a role in her death. A sexual assault examination was conducted and sperm samples collected and preserved for DNA testing. Though investigators found a high-quality dust print at Prescott’s apartment, initial comparisons yielded no matches. In the summer of 2000, however, the print was resubmitted to the FBI computer system, which, through the use of new technology, was able to narrow the list of possible matches. One of the matches scored over 2500 points, almost a 1000 points more than the next highest score. A FBI analyst concluded the print found in Prescott’s apartment matched the known print of Dale Devon Scheanette. This conclusion was later confirmed by two Arlington investigators. After obtaining a search warrant, officers obtained saliva samples from Scheanette. DNA testing matched the DNA extracted from these samples to the DNA extracted from Prescott’s corpse with a statistical certainty of one in 763 million. At the punishment phase, the State connected Scheanette to yet another capital murder, that of twenty-six year old Christine Vu. The State also tied Scheanette to five brutal sexual assaults. The State also introduced evidence that, while incarcerated awaiting trial, jail guards found concealed in Scheanette’s cell a contraband triangular piece of plexiglass that could have been used as a weapon. Finally, the State introduced evidence of a burglary conviction from 1999. In January 2003, a Texas jury convicted Scheanette of capital murder and sentenced him to death for the murder of Wendi Prescott while in the course of committing or attempting to commit sexual assault on her.

Page visited times since 10/6/07

Page last updated 10/05/08