March 2010 Executions

Five killers were executed in March 2010. They had murdered at least 10 people.

Four killers were given a stay in March 2010. They have murdered at least 11 people.
One killer died on death row while awaiting execution in March 2010. He had murdered at least 2 people.

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
March 2, 2010 Texas Kleber Dos Santos, 27
Lilian Dos Santos, 25
Michael Sigala executed
On August 22, 2000, Michael Sigala unlawfully entered the home of a young married couple, Kleber and Lilian Dos Santos. Once inside, Sigala executed Kleber with a single gunshot to his head. He then apparently forced Lilian to remove her clothes and wash herself. In the bedroom, Sigala bound Lilian’s hands and neck with telephone cords, then dripped hot wax from a nearby candle onto her labia, whipped her buttocks with a belt or something rod shaped, and cut the inside of her thigh. While torturing his victim, Sigala masturbated and ejaculated on the floor. Finally, he shot Lilian in the face and again in the side of the head, causing her death. After the murders, Sigala tried to remove all evidence of his presence by wiping his prints off everything and cleaning the carpet where he had masturbated. He also helped himself to a drink, watched television, and selectively ransacked the apartment. When he left, Sigala took the Santos’ wedding rings and several other items. The police apprehended Sigala two months later after several of the stolen items were recovered from various shops and traced back to him. Sigala confessed to killing Kleber, ejaculating as Lilian lay on the bed, and stealing the couple’s rings. Testing of the semen discovered on the floor next to the bed revealed an "exact" DNA match to Sigala. A firearms expert testified that all of the bullets recovered from the scene were fired from the same weapon. Although Sigala attempted to blame Lilian’s assault on another, no evidence connected another perpetrator to the scene. At the punishment stage of trial, the State presented evidence that Sigala abused drugs, attended drug rehabilitation without success, had been expelled from high school, and had a substantial criminal history including thefts, marijuana possession, robbery, and burglary. Sigala also admitted to one witness that he belonged to a gang. Finally, a mental-health expert testified that Sigala had an antisocial personality disorder and could be described as a "sadistic sexual predator." Although only twenty-three years of age at the time of this offense, Sigala already had a long history of criminal conduct which included thefts, burglaries, robberies, and drug abuse.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
March 11, 2010 Texas Robbie Bott
Rudolfo Lopes
Joshua Maxwell executed
On September 10th, 11th, and 12th of 2000, Joshua Maxwell and his girlfriend, Tessie McFarland, confined Robby Bott, stole property from Bott’s residence, forced Bott to buy items for them at a Meijer store, killed Bott by shooting him in the face and strangling him, put him in the trunk of his own car, and set Bott and his car on fire. Bott’s body was found in Marion County, Indiana, on September 12, 2000. His badly charred body was inside the trunk of his Mercury Cougar automobile, which had been set on fire. He had suffered a fatal gunshot wound to his chest, and his hands and feet had been bound together behind his back. The medical examiner did not recover a bullet from Bott’s body during the autopsy. When police arrived at Bott’s residence in Mooresville, Indiana, they discovered that the back door was open and the house was in disarray. Maxwell’s fingerprints matched the fingerprints on a vodka bottle and a wine bottle in the kitchen. McFarland’s fingerprints matched the fingerprints on the refrigerator door, a videotape, and a pizza box. A pizza delivery slip found in Bott’s bedroom contained Maxwell’s name and the address of a house in nearby Indianapolis where Maxwell had been staying with McFarland. Police searched the house in Indianapolis and found several items belonging to Bott, including his wallet, various forms of identification, credit cards, and bank statements. Maxwell’s fingerprints matched the fingerprints on a sales receipt in Bott’s wallet. Substances that appeared to be blood and vomit trailed from the basement to the outside of the Indianapolis residence. The basement smelled strongly of chemicals and contained some empty gallon jugs of muriatic acid. A spent cartridge casing was recovered from an overturned wooden wardrobe cabinet in the basement. A spent bullet was recovered from a sweater inside the wardrobe cabinet. A firearms examiner testified that the gun that fired the spent bullet and spent cartridge casing was the same gun that was used to kill Lopes in this case. Maxwell, Bott, and a female were seen shopping at two retail stores in the Indianapolis area at 11:30 p.m. on September 10 and at 5:00 a.m. on September 11. Bott used his credit card to purchase approximately $2500 of merchandise at the first store. When the night manager commented that they were buying an unusually large amount of merchandise at that time of night, Maxwell explained that he and the female were getting married and that Bott was his uncle and was buying them the merchandise as a wedding gift. Bott made a credit card purchase of approximately $1100 at the second store, where the threesome were recorded on the store’s security surveillance camera. At approximately 6:00 a.m. on September 11, a man was recorded on videotape making withdrawals with Bott’s ATM card at a nearby Bank One ATM terminal. He made two withdrawals, and his attempt to withdraw more money was declined because it exceeded the daily limit. The couple fled to Texas after murdering Bott. Rudolfo Lopes, a sergeant with the Bexar County, Texas Sheriff’s Department, was murdered in San Antonio on or about October 11, 2000. San Antonio resident Robert Brown encountered Maxwell and Tess McFarland prior to Lopes’s murder. Brown met Maxwell, who went by the name "Mo," and McFarland, who went by the name "Trina," by responding to their ad on a "dating telephone line" advertised in a magazine. The first time Maxwell and McFarland came to Brown’s apartment, they talked for about an hour and Brown gave them money to buy food. Brown testified that they stole some rings from him at that time. Two or three days later, Maxwell and McFarland told Brown that they were in town for a friend’s wedding and needed a place to stay overnight. They spent the night at Brown’s apartment and gave him a ride to a liquor store the next day. Brown testified that they had a gray three-door vehicle with Florida license plates. He further testified that the car was dirty and filthy-smelling, and that there was a container in the car with a chameleon lizard inside it. Brown let them use his phone before they left that afternoon. After they left, a man called asking for "Mo" and "Trina." Lopes’s wife testified that Lopes was scheduled to work at the Bexar County Jail from 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. on October 11. Lopes left for work that morning in his gold four-door Chevrolet pickup truck, but he never returned home that night. Lopes often carried a briefcase and wore a gold chain necklace with a cross and anchor pendant. Lopes normally carried a Glock pistol issued by the Sheriff’s Department. An investigations officer with the Security Service Federal Credit Union testified that Lopes had a checking account, a savings account, an ATM card, and a Visa card at the credit union. Records show that shortly after 7:00 p.m. on October 11, someone using Lopes’s ATM card at the credit union’s Southwest Military Branch made two successful withdrawals of $300 and $100. The person using the card attempted to withdraw more money from Lopes’s checking and savings accounts, but the transactions were denied. A surveillance camera photographed a woman leaning out of the driver’s side of a vehicle using the ATM. Charles Dudley, the owner of a martial arts school in a northeast San Antonio strip center, testified that he left work with his family about 9:00 p.m. on October 11. They noticed a gold Chevrolet pickup truck driving around to the back of the strip center, so they got into Dudley’s car and drove behind the strip center to see what was going on. The truck was parked next to a hole in the privacy fence that separated the strip center from the field behind it. Dudley observed a woman with long, bushy hair and glasses sitting in the driver’s seat and a man slumped down in the passenger seat. As Dudley drove by, the man and the woman stared straight ahead. Dudley thought it odd and slowly drove by them a second time and put his headlights on the truck. The man and the woman continued sitting in the truck staring straight ahead. A woman who lived in a residential area behind the strip center testified that she and her husband were watching the Presidential Debate on the evening of October 11. She heard one loud gunshot between 9:00 and 10:00 p.m. Lopes’s body was discovered in the field behind the strip center on October 12. He was blindfolded and was lying face down with his arms inside his shirt and his hands bound together. There was a white cotton cord tied around one of his wrists, and both wrists were tightly bound together with a clear telephone cord. Police found a spent shell casing on the ground near Lopes’s body. Maxwell and McFarland then fled to California. A security guard at the Windsor Park Mall in San Antonio first ticketed a gray Chevrolet Corsica with Florida license plates for overnight parking at 4:15 a.m. on October 12. The abandoned vehicle continued to receive parking tickets until it was reported to police on October 15. Police discovered that the vehicle identification number and the license plate did not match and that the vehicle was "flagged" from out of state in reference to another homicide case. Inside the car were letters containing references to Maxwell and McFarland, a package of cigarettes, photographs of McFarland and Maxwell, a "Scotsman Inn" hotel receipt with the name "Trina Dorris," and a dead lizard. At 4:40 p.m. on October 17, police officers Joseph Juarez and Jesus Pena were on duty in downtown San Francisco, California, when they saw a gold pickup truck speed through an intersection and almost hit a pedestrian. The officers stopped the truck, exited their vehicle, approached the truck from the rear, and asked the male driver to turn off his engine. The driver instead drove away and led them on a chase through downtown San Francisco. Halfway through the chase, the driver of the truck shot at them. The bullet hit the officers’ windshield and came within inches of striking Officer Juarez. Glass from the windshield sprayed the inside of the police car and scratched Officer Pena’s eyes. Additional police officers became involved in the chase. The driver continued shooting at police and the police returned fire. Officer Richard Seidell testified that at one point the driver "reached out with his left arm and hand and raised his middle finger and flipped us off." The chase finally ended when the truck became stuck in traffic. The truck was identified as Lopes’s vehicle. The driver and passenger of the truck were identified as Maxwell and McFarland. McFarland suffered a neck injury during the chase. Maxwell was wearing a gold-chain necklace when he was apprehended. The police searched the truck and found Lopes’s badge, Lopes’s credit card from the Security Federal Credit Union, and a State of Indiana identification card for "Trina Dorris" with McFarland’s picture. Police also found in the truck, Lopes’s Glock pistol, a Chinese 9-millimeter pistol, and a briefcase in the truck. The medical examiner who performed Lopes’s autopsy testified that his death was caused by a single gunshot wound to the top of his head. The 9-millimeter bullet entered the top of Lopes’s head, exited his chin, re-entered his body through his chest, and lodged between his sternum and his heart. A firearms examiner testified that the Chinese 9-millimeter pistol found in Lopes’s truck was the weapon that fired the bullet that was recovered from Lopes’s chest and the shell casing that was found near his body. Detention officers Calvin Robinson and Wendell Busby testified about an incident involving Maxwell while he was in the Bexar County Jail awaiting trial. Robinson testified that Maxwell was banging on his cell door at about 6:10 p.m. on September 1, 2001. Maxwell told Robinson he was upset about not receiving his account balance earlier that day. When Robinson told Maxwell he would get his account balance for him later, Maxwell became more upset and began banging on the door even harder. Maxwell called Robinson a "black, mother-fucking nigger" and said that he would "bust [Robinson’s] face if he could get out of his cell." He also said "if he could get out of that cell, he’d kill [Robinson], just like he had killed [his] home boy, Lopes." Robinson told Maxwell to calm down and went back into the office where Busby was located. Maxwell, using a "pleading-type of voice," then mimicked how Lopes had begged for his life, stating repeatedly, "Please don’t kill me." Maxwell used a stronger, higher, and more authoritarian voice when he described his response: "Shut up, bitch… I’m going to kill you anyway." Busby’s testimony confirmed Robinson’s version of events. Busby added that another inmate yelled something at Maxwell after Maxwell mimicked Lopes, and Maxwell replied, "I don’t care what I said." Both Robinson and Busby denied doing anything to provoke Maxwell. Defense witness Sergeant David Ryker testified that he investigated the incident at the Bexar County Jail on September 1. Maxwell made no mention of Lopes and told Ryker that Robinson was harassing him. Defense counsel also called an evidence technician with the San Antonio Police Department who testified that there was never a comparison made on a plaster shoe cast of a footprint taken at the crime scene on October 12, 2000. Finally, Bexar County Deputy Sheriff Daniel Grasser testified that he could not locate the shoes that Maxwell was wearing when he was arrested in San Francisco. The Bexar County, Texas jury convicted Joshua Maxwell, of killing Rudolfo Lopes in the course of committing a robbery or kidnapping. Pursuant to the jury’s answers to the special issues questions regarding future dangerousness and mitigation, the trial court sentenced Maxwell to death. Bott Murder Evidence: On October 17, 2000, police in San Francisco attempted to conduct a routine traffic stop of Maxwell and McFarland because their car had run a red light. A vehicle chase ensued, shots were fired, and Maxwell eventually crashed the car. McFarland was shot, and Maxwell sustained a one-and-a-half by two inch abrasion on the side of his forehead. Inside their vehicle, police discovered a 9 mm firearm. When police searched Lopes’s truck after Maxwell and McFarland were captured in California, they found a map with a route drawn from Indiana to Florida to Texas to California. Police also found a videotape that depicted Maxwell admitting his involvement in a murder. Maxwell explained on the videotape that he forced a man to take him on a shopping spree, stole items from his house, killed him, put him in his car, and burned him. Police took Maxwell to the station. Inspector Kelly Carroll of the San Francisco Police Department informed Maxwell he would stay with Maxwell until the other inspectors arrived for an interview. Carroll offered Maxwell a soda or water. Paramedics treated the small abrasion on his Maxwell’s face from the crash, and then they left. During the time they waited, Inspector Carroll and Maxwell had a short conversation, but Carroll did not question Maxwell regarding the alleged crimes. Thereafter, Inspector Tony Camilleri of the San Francisco Police Department arrived and advised Maxwell of his Miranda rights. Maxwell did not appear intoxicated, and he appeared to understand his rights. Maxwell agreed to speak with the officers and gave a taped interview. In the interview Maxwell admitted purchasing merchandise with Bott’s credit cards, stealing from Bott, confining Bott, shooting Bott in the head, killing Bott, and setting Bott’s body on fire. Less than two hours later, Maxwell gave a second videotaped confession to Inspector Casillas of the San Francisco Police Department. This confession was essentially the same as the first. Then, about two hours after the second confession, Maxwell discussed the case via speaker phone with Captain Joel Rush of the Speedway, Indiana, Police Department. Maxwell detailed the crimes he committed against Bott, and San Francisco police videotaped this confession as well. The State charged Maxwell with murder, confinement, arson, and theft. Maxwell filed a motion to suppress the videotaped confessions, and the trial court denied that motion. At trial, the State offered as evidence the three videotapes of Maxwell confessing. Over Maxwell’s objection, the court admitted the videotapes. The jury found Maxwell guilty as charged. The court sentenced Maxwell to sixty-five years for murder, three years for confinement, twenty years for arson, and three years for theft. It then ordered all those sentences served consecutively. "I think I’ll feel like I have some closure, that I’ll know he is no longer around here living, even though he’s locked up," Bott’s father, 79-year-old Alfred Bott told a local reporter. He said he would not be at the execution, but that his daughter, who works in Saudi Arabia, will fly 16 hours to attend.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
March 16, 2010 Ohio Loretta Mae Foster, 67 Lawrence Reynolds, Jr. executed
Loretta Mae Foster smallIn early January 1994, Loretta Mae Foster, 67, complained to her son Michael that a neighbor, Lawrence Raymond Reynolds, Jr., had been knocking on her door after dark. Reynolds had recently painted Loretta’s basement and claimed that he needed to put a paint can in the basement. Loretta told her son that she was scared of Reynolds. On January 11, Loretta’s sister-in-law Norma took her to a doctor’s appointment and Loretta told Norma that a neighbor had been acting "weird"; that is he would knock on the door, hide, and then jump out at her. Loretta told her doctor and her doctor’s office manager about Reynolds in an effort to explain why her blood pressure was elevated. After the visit to the doctor, Loretta stopped at her credit union and withdrew $50. Norma dropped Loretta off at home around 3 pm. In the late afternoon or early evening of January 11, 1994, Lawrence Reynolds assaulted, robbed, and killed his neighbor, Loretta Foster, in her home. He took $40 in cash and a blank check from her purse, and left her almost-nude body lying on the living room floor. Around 7:30 that evening, Reynolds and his brother Jason went to a bowling alley to shoot pool with some friends. Upon arriving, Reynolds told two friends, Brian and Jim, that this would be his last night to party with them because he had killed someone and was leaving town the next day. Reynolds told them that he had knocked on Loretta’s door and told her that he had a letter to give her from his sister, showing her an envelope. He had rope and a tent pole with him. Loretta Foster opened the door and Reynolds forced his way in and a struggle began. Reynolds hit Loretta and she fell to the floor. A clump of hair was ripped from Loretta’s head. He began to rummage through her purse. When he realized she was attempting to reach for the phone, he cut the phone line, tied her up, and hit her once or twice with the tent pole. He tried to strangle her with his hands but was unsuccessful. At some point during the struggle, Reynolds received a rope burn on his hand, which he showed his listeners. Reynolds told them he had left Foster lying naked in the living room and that he had taken $40 in cash and a blank check from her checkbook before leaving through a back door. The group proceeded to the Rainbow Bar where Reynolds continued to discuss how he had killed Loretta. Uncertain whether to believe him, the two friends left the bar and went to Loretta’s home, looked through the living-room window, and saw Loretta’s nude body lying on the floor. Reynolds and his brother Jason also went to Loretta’s house after leaving the Rainbow Bar. Jason was stunned to see Loretta’s body. Reynolds picked up a glove and a tent stake that he had left and attempted to brush off the purse. A milk jug of water was used to rinse the blood from the area around the body. Then they returned to their home. Brian and Jim went to a friend’s house because they knew that his father was a police officer. They told the officer what Reynolds had told them and described what they had seen at Loretta’s house. They later went to the police station and made a statement. Police officers were dispatched to investigate. They found Loretta’s body in her living room. She had been beaten about the head and strangled. Her bra was cut in the front and the bra and her t-shirt were above her breasts. Her pants and pantyhose were laying near the body, in a rolled down position. By the rear door of the house, there was a quantity of blood and a large clump of hair. Broken eye glasses and one earring were found in the kitchen and the other earring and Loretta’s purse were found in the dining room as was her checkbook which was removed from her purse. After finding Loretta’s body, the police initiated a homicide investigation and obtained an arrest warrant for Lawrence Reynolds, Jr. They went to the Reynolds home and arrested Reynolds. While they were there, Lawrence Reynolds, Sr., Reynold’s father, consented, verbally and in writing, to a search of the house, and specifically to his son’s bedroom and the basement. (Reynolds was twenty-seven years old at the time of his acts, and continued to live at home.) The search revealed several items of physical evidence later used against Reynolds at trial: (1) gloves and a camouflage jumpsuit, both smeared with blood of the same type as Loretta’s and containing fibers matching those from a red jacket found in her bedroom; (2) a piece of rope identical to that used on Loretta, stained with blood of her type and containing human hair matching her own; (3) a section of a tent pole, in keeping with what Reynolds had told his friends he brought to Loretta’s house; and (4) a blank check drawn on Loretta’s account. An autopsy concluded that Loretta had died from strangulation. She had also been subjected to blunt force trauma. Based on the color of the bruises on her wrists, the coroner testified that Loretta had been alive when tied up. The coroner was unable to find any physical evidence of sexual conduct. While in jail, Reynolds told a fellow inmate essentially the same story as he had told his friends, but with more, at times conflicting, details. For example, Reynolds stated to the inmate that he had taken off Loretta’s blouse to enable him to see her hands at all times. The inmate asked him about news reports that the victim was found with her pants off. Initially, Reynolds claimed that her pants had come off in the struggle, but he later told the inmate that he had “tried to stick his meat in her,” and yet when the inmate questioned Reynolds specifically on the matter, he denied trying to rape her. During the trial, Jason Reynolds avoided eye contact with his brother as he told the jury how he went to the Foster home with his brother about 1:30 a.m. Jan. 12 to check out the story his brother had told during a night of drinking. "I went in, me and my brother," Jason Reynolds said. "I saw her lying there. That’s all I needed to see." An Ohio jury needed only an hour and a half to decide that Reynolds was guilty of aggravated robbery, aggravated burglary, kidnapping, and attempted rape, as well as aggravated murder (of the felony-murder type) with four death penalty specifications attached. He was sentenced to 38-to-90 years’ imprisonment and death. While confined on death row, he sent a letter threatening sexual violence and murder if his demands for naked pictures were unmet. A separate obscene letter was sent to the victim of his prior telephone harassment similarly requesting naked photographs. Kelly Redfern, Dona Papp, Patty Solomon and Gail Hand, great-nieces and granddaughters of Loretta Foster, testified at a clemency hearing for Reynolds. Each shared their memories of Loretta Foster and the exceptional kindness and generosity she shared with both family and neighbors. Each was nurtured by Loretta Foster and attribute to her many positive influences that have shaped their lives and the lives of their children. Dona Papp said, ”That was 15 years ago. He is still guilty. My aunt is still dead." The parole board declined to recommend clemency for Reynolds by a vote of 6 to 0. Reynolds originally had an execution date set for March 9, 2010 however he attempted to kill himself by overdosing on prescription medication so the execution was delayed by one week.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
March 16, 2010 Arkansas Lorraine Barrett, 32
Mary Phillips, 34
Jack Jones, Jr. stayed
On June 1, 1991, witnesses saw a tourist on vacation from Pennsylvania, 32-year-old Lorraine Barrett, talking with a man at the Elbo Room on Fort Lauderdale Beach, Florida. They both spoke to the bartender and a singer at the bar, then left together around 1:30 pm. They spent time at the bar at Lorraine’s hotel, the Days Inn on Seabreeze Boulevard. Another witness saw Lorraine and the man board an elevator at the hotel. Around noon the next day, a hotel maid found Lorraine’s nude body lying face down in the bed. Barrett was strangled to death, and there was evidence that she had also been sexually assaulted. In 2005, DNA evidence discovered her murderer: Jack Harold Jones, by then on death row in Arkansas for a 1995 murder. On the afternoon of June 6, 1995, seventeen-year-old Darla Phillips dropped her eleven-year-old sister Lacy off at Automated Tax and Accounting Service in Bald Knob, Arkansas where their mother, thirty-four-year old Mary Phillips, worked as a bookkeeper. Mary was planning to take her daughter to a 3:00 p.m. dentist appointment. Darla and her fifteen-year-old brother Jessie were expecting their mother and little sister to return to their home in Bradford around 4:30 p.m. or 5:00 p.m. They never arrived. A black-haired male entered the business before Lacy and her mother could leave for the dentist’s office. According to Lacy’s testimony at trial, the man had a teardrop tattoo on his face and more tattoos on his arm. The man had come into the business earlier that day to borrow some books. When he returned, he complained that he had been given the wrong book. He then told Lacy and her mother that he was "sorry," but that he was "going to have to rob" them. He ordered Mary to lay down on her stomach, and then made Lacy lay down on top of her mother. After retrieving the cash out of the register, he took them into a small break room. The man took Lacy into a bathroom off of the break room, tied her to a chair, then left. When he returned, Lacy, now crying, asked the man not to hurt her mother, to which he replied, "I’m not. I’m going to hurt you." He began to choke Lacy until she passed out. After Lacy lost consciousness, Jones struck her at least eight times in the head with the barrel of a BB gun, causing severe lacerations and multiple skull fractures, with fragments of bone that were driven down into Lacy’s brain. When Lacy woke up, she saw blood and began to vomit. She went back to sleep and awakened later when police, seeing her bloodied body and thinking she was dead, were taking photographs of her. Police found Mary’s body nude from the waist down. A cord from a nearby coffee pot was wrapped around her neck and wire was tied around her hands, which were positioned behind her back. Bruises on her arms and back indicated that she had struggled with her attacker prior to her death. According to autopsy results, Mary died from strangulation and blunt-force head injuries. Rectal swabs indicated that she had been anally raped before she was killed. Based on Lacy’s description of the assailant, Arkansas State Police Investigator Jerry Brogdon went to Jack Harold Jones Jr.’s residence and asked him if he would accompany him to the White County Sheriff’s Office. Once there, Jones was read his Miranda rights and signed a waiver-of-rights form. He admitted that he had committed the crimes because he wanted to get revenge against the police. He reasoned that his wife had been raped, and that the police had done nothing about it. The jury took only 30 minutes to return a guilty verdict. After a clemency hearing for Jones in 2007, Mary’s daughter Lacy said it was time for Jack Jones’ execution. "Our family needs this. We have been through a lot." Jones said he was "very sorry" but Lacy said, "It’s too late." Her sister Darla said, "It doesn’t matter. If it makes him feel better that’s fine, but that’s no big deal to us." UPDATE: Despite being denied clemency by the Arkansas parole board, Jack Jones received a stay of his March 16 execution date from US District Judge Leon Holmes.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
March 16, 2010 Pennsylvania Marcia Reyes, 4 Angel Reyes stayed
Puerto Rican native Angel Reyes and Julia Martinez moved in together and had a child, the victim Marcia Reyes. Julia Martinez also had two sons, Javier and Louis, who were young adults with whom Reyes did not get along and who were a source of dissention between the couple. In October of 1990, Reyes had been arrested for threatening his baby daughter with a knife. The charges were withdrawn after Reyes underwent treatment for alcohol abuse. In August of 1992, Reyes and Louis Martinez, 21, had a fight. When the altercation ended, Reyes grabbed Marcia’s hand and led her to the edge of a body of water where, upon being confronted by Julia, he remarked that if she called the police and had him arrested, she would find Marcia in the river with her throat slashed. Later, Reyes threatened to harm Marcia if Julia even had contact with her son Louis or if she attempted to leave the city. On May 25, 1993, Julia Martinez had a reunion with her son Louis at the home of her sister who lived in Chester, Pennsylvania, in order to avoid Reyes. Reyes, however, saw a photograph of Louis that Marcia had and she told her father that it was "my new best friend." Reyes confronted Julia about whether Louis was in Chester. When Julia indicated Louis had been in Chester, Reyes placed 4-year-old Marcia in his car and drove off with her. He returned approximately twenty to twenty-five minutes later without her. Upon returning, he stated, “I did it, it’s all finished.” Later that night, Reyes appeared at the Chester Police Station and admitted to both Sergeant Lawrence Platt and Detective Walter Loveland that he killed his daughter Marcia. Following Miranda warnings, Reyes waited 14 hours but later told authorities that he drowned his daughter by dropping her into Ridley Creek off a bridge located in Eddystone, Pennsylvania. The girl’s body was recovered the next day from the Delaware River. An autopsy revealed that she drowned and that the manner of death was homicide. Reyes was arrested and charged with first-degree murder, aggravated assault, and endangering the welfare of children. He was tried in November of 1993 by the Honorable Frank T. Hazel, sitting without a jury. At the conclusion of the trial, Judge Hazel found Reyes guilty of all charges. In January of 1994, a jury was empanelled for a penalty hearing. On January 13, 1994, the jury returned a verdict of death, finding one aggravating circumstance, namely, that the victim was a child under twelve years of age, and no mitigating circumstances. The sentence was later overturned by an appeals court who found that the jury should have been presented with evidence of Reyes’s impoverished and abusive upbringing in Puerto Rico. In March 2007, a second jury sentenced Reyes to death.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
March 18, 2010 Pennsylvania Anita Gordon
Anil Thakur
Ji-Ye Sun
Thao Pak Pham
Garry Lee
Richard Baumhammers stayed
Richard Scott Baumhammers murdered five people during a hate-crime rampage throughout the Pittsburgh area in 2000, specifically targeting victims who were Jewish, Indian, Vietnamese, Chinese and African-American. On April 28, 2000, during a crime spree lasting approximately two hours, Richard Baumhammers, shot and killed Anita Gordon, Anil Thakur, Ji-Ye Sun, Thao Pak Pham, and Garry Lee. He also seriously wounded Sandip Patel, pointed his loaded pistol at George Thomas II, set fire to Mrs. Gordon’s house by using an incendiary device, desecrated one synagogue by defacing it with red spray paint and shooting bullets into it, [J-25-2008] – 2 and desecrated a second synagogue by shooting bullets into it. Baumhammers was arrested on the day of the crime spree and was found to have in his possession a.357 caliber handgun, spent.357 caliber shell casings, live.357 caliber ammunition, two Molotov cocktails, a can of red spray paint, and a roadmap. Baumhammers was charged with five counts of homicide, one count of attempted homicide, one count of aggravated assault, one count of simple assault, one count of recklessly endangering another person, eight counts of ethnic intimidation, two counts of institutional vandalism, two counts of criminal mischief, three counts of arson, and one count of carrying a firearm without a license. At the time of the filings of the criminal informations, the Commonwealth gave Baumhammers notice of its intention to seek the death penalty and of the aggravating circumstances supporting the death penalty on which it intended to rely. Following a competency hearing held on May 9, 2000, the trial court determined that Baumhammers was mentally incompetent and ordered his transfer to a state hospital for treatment. Following a subsequent competency hearing held on September 15, 2000, the trial court determined that treatment had rendered Baumhammers competent to stand trial. A jury trial on the charges was thereafter held from April 27 to May 9, 2001. During trial, Baumhammers did not dispute that he had shot the victims; rather, he presented evidence that he had done so while suffering from a mental disease. The jury rejected Baumhammers’s insanity defense and returned a verdict of guilty on the five counts of first-degree murder and on all of the remaining charges. From May 10 to May 11, 2001, the penalty phase of the trial was held. The Commonwealth presented two aggravating circumstances as follows: “In the commission of the offense the defendant knowingly created a grave risk of death to another person in addition to the victim of the offense;” and “The defendant has been convicted of another murder." The jury found that the Commonwealth had proven the two aggravating circumstances, and that Baumhammers had proven three of the five mitigating circumstances. However, the jury also determined that the aggravating circumstances outweighed the mitigating circumstances and returned sentences of death as mandated by law.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
March 18, 2010 Virginia Stacey Lynn Reed, 16 Paul Powell executed
stacey reedIn January 1999, Robert Culver and his fiancĂ©e, Lorraine Reed, lived together in a small brick home on McLean Street in Manassas, Virginia, with Reed’s two daughters, Stacey Lynn Reed and Kristie Erin Reed. On January 29, 1999, Paul Warner Powell, then 20, went to visit the Reeds’ home. Powell was carrying two knives and a 9 mm handgun. Stacey, then 16 years old, left home to go to work, and Powell remained there alone with Kristie, who was 14. That afternoon, Kristie called her mother by telephone and informed her that Powell refused to leave the home. Kristie’s mother told Kristie to order Powell to leave. Kristie was concerned because Powell "kept walking back and forth down the hallway looking in the rooms." On the afternoon of January 29, 1999, Kristie arrived home from school and was startled to find Powell in her house. She asked Powell "where Stacey was." He replied, "she was in her room." Kristie walked to Stacey’s room, but Stacey was not there. Then, Kristie turned to enter her own room and saw Stacey’s body lying on the floor. Powell, who had followed Kristie to the bedroom, ordered Kristie to go downstairs to the basement. Kristie knew that Powell customarily armed himself with a knife. She had previously observed Powell with a butterfly knife and "another long knife that was in a brown pouch type thing." Powell forced Kristie to accompany him to the basement, where he ordered her to remove her clothes. She took her clothes off because she "didn’t want to die." Powell told Kristie to lay on the floor, and then he raped her. After Powell raped Kristie, he dressed himself, and he used shoelaces taken from Kristie’s shoes to tie her feet together. He also used shoelaces to tie her arms behind her back. Someone knocked on the door to the house, and Powell went upstairs, leaving Kristie naked and bound on the basement floor. While Powell was upstairs, Kristie was able to free her hands, and she tried to "scoot" across the floor and hide beneath the basement steps. Powell returned to the basement, removed Kristie’s eyeglasses, and strangled her until she was unconscious. Powell stabbed Kristie in the stomach, and the knife stopped within a centimeter of her aorta. He slashed her in her neck numerous times, and the repair of the knife wounds required 61 sutures. She had multiple stab wounds to her neck and abdomen. She also had wounds on her wrists. Robert Culver arrived at the home at 4:15 p.m. on January 29, 1999. He could not locate Kristie or Stacey. He went to the girls’ bedrooms and saw that Stacey’s room was in disarray. He entered Kristie’s room, turned on the lights, and found Stacey’s body on the floor. He observed blood on her body and saw that she was not breathing. When Culver went to the basement in search of a telephone, he discovered Kristie lying naked and bound on the floor, bleeding from her neck and stomach. He saw that she had been stabbed in the stomach and her "throat was slit pretty severely, many times." Culver found a telephone, dialed 911, and spoke to emergency response personnel. In a recent interview, Robert Culver said the worst part for him are the regrets of that day. He says he had a cold and that his boss told him he could leave early on that day. He almost took him up on the offer, but didn’t want the girls to think he came home early because he didn’t trust them to be alone. "Little things like that," he said. "I should have been home." Although Kristie was experiencing life-threatening injuries, she was able to tell police officers and paramedics that Paul Powell was her assailant. Stacey’s death was caused by a stab wound to her chest. The wound pattern indicated that the blade of the knife pierced her heart and was twisted upon withdrawal. The blade of Powell’s knife was consistent with the stab wounds. There were numerous bruises on Stacey’s head, neck, chest, abdomen, back, arms, and legs. She suffered stab wounds in her back and arm. She also had abrasions on her left hand and wrist that were characterized as defensive wounds. Stacey’s body contained bruises on her lower neck that were consistent with someone stepping or stomping on her face and neck. Police officers arrested Powell on January 30, 1999 at the home of a friend. The police officers also located a blue sports bag that belonged to Powell. A nine-millimeter semiautomatic pistol with a full magazine containing 10 Winchester nine- millimeter cartridges was in the bag. The bag also contained a survival knife with a five and one-half inch blade inside a black sheath and a butterfly knife with a five inch blade. The survival knife sheath contained a dark reddish-brown stain. The DNA profile obtained from the stain on the sheath was consistent with the DNA profile of Stacey Reed and different from the DNA profile of Kristie Reed and Paul Powell. The probability of selecting an unrelated individual with a matching DNA profile is approximately one in 1.1 billion in the Caucasian population. After his arrest, Powell consented to several interviews with police officers. During one interview, he stated that he had been at the Reeds’ home on January 29, 1999 and that Stacey was dead because "she was stupid." Powell told the police officers that he and Stacey had an argument because she had a black boyfriend, and Powell "didn’t agree with interracial dating." Powell claimed that during the argument, Stacey attacked him and scratched his face, and then he pushed her to the floor. He claimed that Stacey attacked him again, and that she "got stuck" on his knife. Powell also initially denied raping Kristie. In a second statement to police officers, Powell admitted that he raped Kristie. The detective who interviewed Powell testified that Powell stated that he had to kill Kristie because "she was the only witness and he would have to go to jail." Powell was sentenced to death in August, 2000. In 2001, the Virginia Supreme Court overturned his death sentence, saying that prosecutors had failed to prove that Powell had raped Stacey which was part of the reason for defining the case as a capital murder. A murder that is committed in conjunction with another felony is one of the requirements for a death sentence and the appeals court felt that the rape of Stacey’s sister Kristie was a separate act. Under the erroneous assumption that this meant he could no longer face the death penalty, Powell wrote two letters to the Commonwealth’s Attorney of Prince William County, Paul Ebert. Below is the content of a letter that Powell wrote, dated October 21, 2001. "Mr. Ebert, Since I have already been indicted on first degree murder and the Va. Supreme Court said that I can’t be charged with capital murder again, I figured I would tell you the rest of what happened on Jan. 29, 1999, to show you how stupid all of y’all mother f*ckers are. Y’all should have known that there is more to the story than what I told by what I said. You had it in writing that I planned to kill the whole family. Since I planned to kill the whole family, why would I have fought with Stacie before killing her? She had no idea I was planning to kill everybody and talked and carried on like usual, so I could’ve stabbed her up at any time because she was unsuspecting. I had other plans for her before she died. You know I came back to the house after Bobby’s lunch break was over and he had went back to work. When I got back, she was on the phone so I went inside and I laid down on the couch. When the cab came to bring me my pager, I ran out of the house and she jumped and got off the phone and came off the porch to see why I ran out of the house like I did. When the cab left we went in the house. I laid on the couch again and she went to her room and got her clothes and went downstairs to do her laundry. When she went downstairs, I got up and shut and locked the back door and went downstairs. We talked while she put her clothes in the wash. We continued talking when she had everything in the wash and I reached over and touched her ti+ and asked if she wanted to f*ck. She said no, because she had a boyfriend. I started arguing with her because she had never turned anybody down because of having a boyfriend. We started walking upstairs, arguing the whole time. When we got upstairs we went to her room and she turned the radio off. After she turned the radio off I pushed her onto her bed and grabbed her wrists and pinned her hands down by her head and sat on top of her. I told her that all I wanted to do was f*ck her and then I would leave and that we could do it the easy way or the hard way. She said she would f*ck me so I got up. After I got up, she got up and started fighting with me and clawed me face. We wrestled around a little and then I slammed her to the floor. When she hit the floor I sat on top of her and pinned her hands down again. She said she would f*ck me and I told her that if she tried fighting with me again, I would kill her. When I got up she stood up and kept asking me why I was doing this and all I kept saying is take your clothes off. Finally she undid her pants and pulled them down to her ankles. She was getting ready to take them the rest of the way off and the phone rang. When she heard the phone she pulled her pants back up and said she had to answer the phone. I pushed her back and said no. She said that she wouldn’t say anything about me being there and I told her no and to take her clothes off. She tried to get out of the room again and I pushed her back and pulled out my knife. I guess she thought I was just trying to scare her and that I wouldn’t really stab her because she tried to leave again. When she got to me and tried to squeeze between me and the door jam I stabbed her. When I stabbed her, she fell back against the door jam and just looked at me with a shocked look on her face. When I pulled the knife out she stumbled a couple steps and fell in her sister’s room. I walked over and looked at her. I saw that she was still breathing so I stepped over her body and into the bedroom. Then I put my foot on her throat and stepped up so she couldn’t breath. Then I stepped down and started stomping on her throat. Then I stepped back onto her throat and moved up and down putting more pressure to make it harder to breathe. When I didn’t see her breathing anymore, I left the room and got some iced tea and sat on the couch and smoked a cigarette. You know the rest of what happened after that point. I would like to thank you for saving my life. I know you’re probably wondering how you saved my life, so I’ll tell you. You saved my life by f*cking up. There were 2 main f*ck-ups you made that saved me. The first was the way you worded my capital murder indictment. The second was the comment you made in your closing argument when you said we won’t know because he won’t tell us. One more time, thank you! Now y’all know everything that happened in that house at 8023 McLean St. on Jan. 29, 1999. I guess I forgot to mention these events when I was being questioned. Ha Ha! Sike! I knew what y’all would be able to prove in court, so I told you what you already knew. Stacey was dead and no one else was in the house so I knew ya’ll would never know everything she went through unless she came back to life. Since the Supreme Court said I can’t be charged with capital murder again, I can tell you what I just told you because I no longer have to worry about the death penalty. And y’all are supposed to be so goddamn smart. I can’t believe that y’all thought I told you everything. Well, it’s too late now. Nothing you can do about it now so f*ck you you fat, c*cksucking, c*m guzzling, gutter slu+. I guess I’ll see your bi+ch a$$ on Dec. 18 at trial because I’m not pleading to shi+. Tell the family to be ready to testify and relive it all again because if I have to suffer for the next 50 or 60 years or however long then they can suffer the torment of reliving what happened for a couple of days. I’m gone. F*ck you and anyone like you or that associates with people like you. I almost forgot, f*ck your god, too. Jesus knows how to suck a d*ck real good. Did you teach him? Well, die a slow, painful, miserable death. See ya punk. Do you just hate yourself for being so stupid and for f*ckin’ up and saving me? Sincerely, Paul Powell." In a statement to a police officer on November 2, 2001, Powell gave the following description of Stacey’s murder: "She walked over to and uh I pushed her back. And then she walked over to me again I think and then I pulled my knife out and you know, and she looked at me you know. I guess she thought I wouldn’t stab her or whatever. So she tried to leave and go to answer the phone. That’s that….. After she got stabbed, she just looked at me for a minute you know and then you know, she…she was surprised and them um, I pulled the knife out, you know she stumbled a few steps, fell down in Christy’s doorway. I just walked over and looked at her. And I stepped over top of her and stepped on her throat and then stood on her throat and then stomped on her throat… then I stood on her throat until I didn’t see her breathing no more…..What I’m saying I was stepping on her. I’m saying I put all my weight on her. I’m saying that I put my foot there you know and then I lifted myself up to where I was standing on top of her. Started stomping on her throat. And then man, I just stood on her throat again until I didn’t see her breathe no more." Before he raped Kristie, Powell knew that he intended to kill her. In response to a police officer’s question: "Before you raped Kristie, you knew you were going to kill her; didn’t you?", Powell responded: "I really didn’t have a choice; did I?" While incarcerated in jail awaiting his capital murder trial, Powell sent a letter to Lorraine Reed, the mother of Stacey and Kristie. Powell enclosed a photograph of a partially nude woman. Powell wrote: "Lorraine, I was wondering if you might be able to help me think of something. I found this picture in a magazine and it kinda looks like someone I know or used to know, but I can’t think of the persons name. I think you know the person too, so I was wondering if you could tell me the name of the person this picture resembles so I can quit racking my brain trying to think of it? I would appreciate it. If you don’t know the person I’m talking about, ask Kristie or Kelly Welch because I know they know who I’m thinking of. If you talk to the person I’m talking about, please give her my address and tell her to write me." The partially nude woman shown in the photograph resembled Lorraine Reed’s daughter, Stacey. Powell wrote a letter to a friend while he was incarcerated. He stated: "About when you asked me why I wouldn’t do to you what I did to Stacie, I couldn’t ever hurt you because you mean to much to me. See Stacie didn’t mean anything to me. She was a ni**er lover and some of her wannabe skin head friends were supposed to kill me. That’s part of the reason why she died. Almost everything that happened in that house was planned. The only thing that wasn’t planned was trying to f*ck Kristie. What was supposed to happen was, Stacie was supposed to die, and did, Kristie was supposed to die and then I was going to wait for their mom and stepdad to get home and I was going to kill them and then I was going to take their moms truck and then I was gonna go to North Carolina and knock this dude off that stole all of my clothes and everything else I owned. I had been thinking about doing it for along time but I could never bring myself to do it. I don’t know what happened to make me finally do it. I feel bad for doing it. Stacie was a good kid." Powell wrote, in another letter: "Hey babe, what’s happening? Not too much here. I writing you to see if you could get one of your guy friends to do me a favor. You know that Kristie is telling the cops things and that she is going to testify against me in court. I was wondering if you could get somebody to go to a pay phone and call Kristie and tell her she better tell the cops that she lied to them and tell her she better not testify against me or she’s gonna die." Powell sent the following letter to the Commonwealth’s Attorney of Prince William County: "Fat Ebert, "What’s up you fat head f*cker? I’m just writing to tell you, since you want to kill me so Goddamn bad for killing your ni**er loving whore, set up a court date closer than Oct. 25 so I can go ahead and get this bullshi+ over with and plead guilty so you can kill me and get it over with, unless you want to let me out so I can kill the rest of the ni**er lovers and all the ni**ers, Jews, Sp*cs and everybody else in this f*cked up country that’s not white. That includes you because you are a ni**er loving Jewish f*cking fa**ot. I will see you in hell bi+ch. your buddy, Paul Powell – P.S. Watch your back!" The jury viewed writings and drawings taken from Powell’s jail cell that demonstrated his hatred of people who were not Caucasian. Additionally, the jury heard evidence that Powell told police officers that he was a racist and described his violent racial views. He stated, "everybody that ain’t white shouldn’t – he needs to die." Powell had told a police officer that he wanted to purchase a gun to "kill somebody. Kill a lot of somebodies… just for something to do." The jury was aware of Powell’s criminal record, including three convictions for contributing to the delinquency of a minor, two larceny convictions, and three felony convictions for abduction, rape, and attempted capital murder of Kristie. In supporting the jury’s finding that Powell’s conduct was "outrageously or wantonly vile, horrible or inhuman in that it involved… depravity of mind and… aggravated battery to the victim beyond the minimum necessary to accomplish the act of murder, the criminal appeals court in Virginia commented, "The day before Powell committed these gruesome crimes, he went to the victims’ home and surveyed the interior of the house. He returned the next day and tried to rape Stacey, who struggled with him. He stabbed her in the heart, twisted the knife, and reinserted the knife in her heart. He stomped upon her throat and he placed the entire weight of his body on her throat until she died. Next, he drank a glass of iced tea, smoked a cigarette, and waited for Stacey’s younger 14-year-old sister to return home. When Kristie arrived, Powell directed her to her sister’s body, forced her downstairs into the basement, and raped her on the floor. He then tied her hands and feet while she was naked, choked her until she was unconscious, stabbed her in the stomach, and slashed her neck numerous times in an attempt to kill her." After the vicious attacks, Powell had snuck out the back door, leaving Kristie for dead. He drove with a friend to Washington and bought some drugs, then returned to the friend’s girlfriend’s house where the drank beer and ordered a pizza. They were still waiting for it to be delivered when police knocked on the door. Powell did not know his younger victim had survived and identified her attacker.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
March 24, 2010 Texas Twila Busby
Randy Busby
Elwin Caler
Hank Skinner stayed

Henry Watkins Skinner lived with Twila Busby and her two adult sons, Randy Busby and Elwin Caler, both of whom had mental retardation. Between 10:15 and 10:30 p.m., on December 31, 1993, Howard Mitchell came to the residence to take Skinner and Twila to a New Year’s Eve party. Howard found Skinner asleep on the couch and was unable to wake him. Skinner had apparently been drinking. Leaving Skinner on the couch, Twila and Howard went to the party, but Twila soon asked to be taken home because her uncle, Robert Donnell, was drunk and was following her around, making rude sexual advances, and generally agitating her. Howard drove Twila home between 11:00 and 11:15 p.m., and left. At around midnight, Elwin showed up on a neighbor’s porch with stab wounds, from which he subsequently died. Twila was found dead on the living room floor of her home, and Randy’s dead body was found lying face down on the top bunk bed in the sons’ bedroom. Skinner was found by police at Andrea Reed’s house, located three-and-a-half to four blocks away, at around 3:00 a.m. When the police found him, Skinner was standing in a closet and wearing clothing that was heavily stained in blood on both the front and back. At trial, Andrea testified that Skinner arrived at her house at around midnight and that they conversed for three hours. She did not know how he entered her trailer, but when she saw him, he took his shirt off and laid it on a chair. Skinner had a bleeding cut in his right hand. He heated up sewing needles and attempted to bend them to sew up his hand, and then he asked her to sew it, and she agreed. At some point, he went to the bathroom by himself. During their conversation, Andrea attempted to leave the room and call the police, but Skinner stopped her and threatened to kill her. Skinner told Andrea multiple stories about what happened at his home. He claimed that a Mexican came to the door and pulled a knife, that Twila was in bed with her ex-husband with whom Skinner got into a fist-fight, that Skinner thought he had killed Twila by trying to kick her to death, that Ricky Palmer broke into the house, and that cocaine dealers were looking for Twila and wanted her really bad. The medical examiner found that Twila had been strangled into unconsciousness and subsequently beaten at least fourteen times about the face and head with a club. DNA testing matched the blood on Skinner’s clothing to Twila and Elwin. Three bloody handprints matching Skinner’s were found in the house: one in the sons’ bedroom and two on doorknobs leading out the back door. A toxicological test of Skinner’s blood, conducted at 5:48 a.m., showed that Skinner had 0.11 milligrams of codeine per liter of blood and a blood alcohol level of 0.11. Defense counsel presented three defenses at trial. First, defense counsel focused on the State’s failure to test some of the DNA evidence to show that the State engaged in a sloppy investigation. Second, defense counsel painted Robert Donnell as an alternate suspect who could have committed the murders. Finally, defense counsel presented evidence that Skinner was too incapacitated by his intoxication to have committed the murders. Dr. William Lowry, the defense toxicologist, testified that most people at Skinner’s level of intoxication would be comatose or asleep, and in any event, between 12:00 and 3:30 a.m., Skinner would have been in a stupor, with impaired consciousness, general apathy, and an inability to stand or walk. Dr. Lowry believed that Skinner was too incapacitated to travel to different rooms to kill the victims. However, Dr. Lowry was surprised that Skinner could locate Andrea’s house at midnight and that he asked her to sew up his hand. Skinner was convicted of capital murder and sentenced to death. UPDATE: The clemency request filed to the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles by Hank Skinner was denied by a vote of 7-0.

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
March 26, 2010 Florida Harold Steinberger
Rachel Steinberger
Jim Chandler died on death row
The victims, Harold and Rachel Steinberger, were found lying face down in a wooded area behind their residence. Each had also been stabbed numerous times in the back. Jim Eric Chandler reported to the authorities that he found the bodies. He said he had been in the couple’s neighborhood checking on his ex-girlfriend’s house when Harold Steinberger invited Chandler into his home and asked him to mow his lawn. The day after the crime, Chandler called an investigator and asked whether the police were going to arrest him. The investigator said no, but asked Chandler to accompany him to the victims’ house and point out any missing items. Chandler agreed. At the house, officers asked Chandler why anyone would go into the woods to be killed. He replied that the victims were ordered out of the house. Chandler mentioned that the victims had been stabbed, although the authorities had not yet released that information. When officers asked whether the victims might have resisted, Chandler speculated that the victims would not resist if the murderer placed a knife to the wife’s throat. He further stated that the victims probably were killed for the $150,000 they made on the sale of their former home, information he would have known from an examination of the victims’ bank account record. Finally, Chandler stated that if he were the officers, he would arrest him.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
March 30, 2010 Texas Eric Bridgeford
Gregorio Ramirez, 41
Selamawi Tewolde
Christopher Thomas, 34
Franklin Alix executed
Franklin Dewayne Alix engaged in a six-month-long violent crime spree in the late 90s. In the early morning hours of January 3, 1998, Alix shot and killed Eric Bridgeford while in the course of committing aggravated sexual assault, robbery and burglary against Eric’s sister, Karyl Bridgeford. Alix admitted to approaching Karyl, then robbing her and forcing her into the trunk of his car and forced her to take him to Eric’s room to steal items. There Alix culminated this episode by murdering Eric Bridgeford, taking items from his room and stealing a car that belonged to one of Eric’s friends. Alix claimed that the sexual intercourse was consensual, the items taken were gifts, and the homicide was in self-defense. Alix also claimed to have been coerced into robbing Karyl by Kevin Smith, a man who allegedly threatened to kill Alix if he did not pay a drug debt. During the sentencing phase of the trial, the State produced evidence of Alix’s lengthy and violent criminal history, including three other capital murders, two attempted capital murders, eight aggravated robberies, one robbery, and two aggravated sexual assaults accompanied by four aggravated kidnappings. The State also introduced testimony from the widow of one of Alix’s victims, Gregorio Ramirez, who identified Alix as the shooter in her husband’s homicide on August 8, 1997. Alix is also suspected in the shooting death of Selamawi Tewolde on Oct. 5, 1997. In the last crime of the spree, Christopher Thomas, 34, was killed in his driveway. Alix was convicted of capital murder on September 2, 1998 and sentenced to death. UPDATE: Prior to his execution, Alix spoke to his family and the victim’s family. "I am not the monster they made me out to be. I made lots of mistakes that took your son. I’ll take it to my grave. I will be at peace."

Page visited times since 2/10/10

Page last updated 10/09/12