January 2011 Executions

Three killers were executed in January 2011. They had murdered at least 3 people.
killers were given a stay in January 2011. They have murdered at least 6 people.
One killer had his death sentence commuted in January 2011. He has murdered at least one person.

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
January 6, 2011 Oklahoma Richard Yost Billy Alverson executed
Billy Don Alverson’s co-defendant, Michael Wilson, worked at the QuikTrip convenience store on N. Garnett Road in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Wilson, Alverson, and two of their friends, Richard Harjo and Darwin Brown, went to the QuikTrip during the early morning hours of February 26, 1995. They chatted with Richard Yost, the night clerk, until the most opportune time arose for them to accost him and force him into the back cooler. They handcuffed him and tied his legs with duct tape. Alverson and Harjo went outside and returned with Harjo carrying a baseball bat. Yost was found beaten to death in a pool of blood, beer and milk. Part of a broken set of handcuffs was found near his right hip. The medical examiner found a pin from these handcuffs embedded in Yost’s skull during the autopsy. Two safes containing over $30,000 were stolen, as well as all the money from the cash register and the store’s surveillance videotape. All four defendants were arrested later that same day wearing new tennis shoes and carrying wads of cash. The stolen drop safe and the store surveillance videotape, as well as other damaging evidence, was found in a search of Alverson’s home. The baseball bat, the victim’s bloody QuikTrip jacket, the other cuff from the set of broken handcuffs, and Wilson’s Nike jacket which matched the one he wore on the surveillance tape were taken from Wilson’s home. Darwin Brown was executed for this crime in January 2009 . UPDATE: Members of Yost’s family and the president and CEO of Yost’s former employer submitted letters to the board asking that it deny clemency. Angela Houser-Yost, the victim’s widow, wrote that her husband’s murder had a devastating impact on her and the couple’s two sons, who were 8 and 2 when their father was killed. “Anxiety plays a major role in my life now,” Houser-Yost said. “I can also sense when the anniversary of Richard’s death is without looking at a calendar. I start shutting down inside and avoid talking with family and friends.” Chester Cadieux III, president and CEO of QuickTrip Corporation, wrote that Yost’s brutal murder had a “devastating effect” on the company’s 5,000 employees, “who were all thinking, ‘it could have been me.’” Cadieux said more than 400 employees sought counseling. “These despicable criminals all agreed and planned to commit this crime for money,” Cadieux wrote. “They each bought new tennis shoes with the cash stolen from the register.. How sad that to Billy Don Alverson, a life is only worth a new pair of Nikes.”
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
January 11, 2011 Texas Rachel Urnosky, 22
Nyanuer “Mary” Pal, 28
Cleve Foster stayed
On February 13, 2002, Cleve Foster and Sheldon Ward met Nyanuer “Mary” Pal at Fat Albert’s, a Fort Worth bar where all three were regular customers. According to the bartender, Mary, a native of Sudan, interacted primarily with Ward until the bar closed at 2:00 a.m. She then walked to the parking lot with Ward where they talked for a few minutes. Afterwards, Mary left in her car, which was followed closely by Foster and Ward driving in Foster’s truck. Approximately eight hours later, Mary’s nude body was discovered by two workers laying pipe in a ditch far off a road in Tarrant County. She had been shot in the head. A wadded-up piece of bloody duct tape lay next to her body. Her unlocked car was later found in the parking lot of the apartment complex where she lived. The police investigation focused on Foster and Ward once police learned that they had been with Mary that night. On February 21, 2002, police searched the motel room shared by Foster and Ward. Only Foster was present. He directed the police to a dresser drawer that contained a gun Ward had purchased from a pawn shop in August 2001. Later that day, Foster voluntarily went to the police department to give a statement and to provide a DNA sample. In his statement, Foster first denied Mary had been inside his truck. However, he then admitted that she may have leaned inside. Finally, he admitted that “they” went cruising, but that “they” brought Mary back to her vehicle at Fat Albert’s. Police also obtained a DNA sample from Ward sometime on the night of February 21, 2002. In the early morning hours of February 22, 2002, Ward called a friend to ask if he could stay with him. Ward told the friend over the phone that he was in trouble because he killed someone. The friend arrived at the motel around 2:00 or 2:30 a.m. to pick up Ward. While in the truck, Ward told his friend that he followed a girl home from a bar, forced her into a truck at gunpoint, took her out to the country, raped her, and shot her. Ward did not mention Foster. The friend stopped the truck at a store and got the police to arrest Ward. Ward then told police that he had been drinking heavily and using cocaine the night of the offense. He claimed that he and Mary arranged to meet after Fat Albert’s closed. Ward also told the police that he drove alone to Mary’s apartment in Foster’s truck to pick up Mary, and that he and Mary had consensual vaginal and anal sex on the front seat of Foster’s truck before they drove back to the motel room where Foster was “pretty much passed out” on the bed. Ward claimed that he and Mary had consensual vaginal sex again in the motel room before they left to drive around. Ward recalled standing over Mary’s body lying on the ground with a gunshot wound to her head and a gun in his hand. Ward claimed not to remember firing the gun. He told police that he stripped her body and dumped her clothes in a dumpster. Ward explained that he left a note in the motel apologizing to Foster for involving him. Ward also stated that he told his friend a few hours earlier that he had sex with a girl and killed her. On March 22, 2002, Foster gave another written statement to police in which he claimed: (1) he and Ward followed Mary to her apartment after meeting her at Fat Albert’s; (2) Mary voluntarily went with them to their motel room in his truck; (3) after taking sleeping pills and drinking beer, Foster fell asleep watching television while Ward and Mary kissed; and (4) Foster awoke to Mary performing oral sex on him. In addition to Foster’s and Ward’s statements, physical evidence also linked the two to the offense. DNA tests established that semen found in Mary’s vagina contained Foster’s DNA, and semen found in Mary’s anus contained Ward’s DNA. Ward may also have been a minor contributor to the semen found in Mary’s vagina. DNA testing also revealed that Mary’s blood and tissue were on the gun recovered during the motel room search. In addition, a police detective and medical examiner testified that Mary was not shot where her body was found because there was no blood splatter in the area. Since the soles of her feet indicated that she had not walked to the location where her body was found, the detective testified that he was “very comfortable” with stating that two people carried Mary’s body to that location. In support of his testimony, the detective noted that the raised-arm position of Mary’s body suggested she may have been carried by her feet and hands. In addition, the detective noted that Mary was five-seven and 130 pounds and Ward is only five-six and 140 pounds, while Foster is six feet tall and around 225 pounds. In February 2004, Foster was convicted of the rape and capital murder of Mary Pal. Based on the necessary jury findings during the punishment phase, the trial court sentenced Foster to death. Ward was also sentenced to death for this murder. Evidence in the punishment phase of Ward’s trial showed that he and Foster also committed the murder of Texas Tech graduate Rachel Urnosky in Fort Worth. The same handgun was used in Rachel’s murder. Rachel Urnosky, 22, was found dead Dec. 18, 2001, in her Fort Worth apartment. She was raped and shot in the head. Rachel’s father, Terry Urnosky of Lubbock, said that reliving his daughter’s death in such detail was painful for him and his wife, Pam. "You put yourself in my daughter’s position and see how much torture they put her through," he said. Urnosky said he will attend Ward’s execution, which may not occur for years. He said he believes the death sentence is part of God’s plan to punish his daughter’s killer. Pal’s family was not in the courtroom for the sentencing, but the Urnoskys gave tearful statements in court about how Ward affected their family. Pam Urnosky testified that it was "the worst day of my life" when her husband called her at work with the news that their daughter had been killed. Terry Urnosky thanked the jury and turned to face Ward, who kept his head bowed during both statements. "Mr. Ward, you destroyed my family," Urnosky said. "Evil and wickedness caused you to perform this heinous act on my daughter. The verdict was justice." Outside the courtroom, Ward’s mother, Stephanie Slifer, sobbed in her daughter’s arms. "I apologize to the victims’ families. I know what it’s like to lose a child," Slifer said. "I just put one daughter in the grave last year, and now I’ll be putting another in the grave." Defense attorney Fred Cummings argued that the prosecution did not prove that Ward would be dangerous in the future, a requirement to obtain a death sentence. However, prosecutor Ben Leonard said Ward’s predatory violence escalated after he and Cleve Foster, a 39-year-old Army recruiter, killed Urnosky. Urnosky was a 1996 graduate of Frenship High School and graduated magna cum laude from Tech in 2000 with a merchandising degree. She moved to Fort Worth to manage a retail clothing store. UPDATE: Sheldon Ward, condemned for killing Sudanese immigrant Nyanuer "Mary" Pal early on Valentine’s Day 2002, learned that he had a brain tumor not long after he was sentenced to death by a Tarrant County jury in 2003. On May 13, 2010 he died in a Galveston, Texas hospital. Pam Urnosky, the sister of Rachel Urnosky, said she is not sure how she feels about Ward’s death. "We believe in the death penalty, but we’re not a vindictive family," Ms. Urnosky said. "You take someone’s life, you will be held accountable. There will always be those lingering questions I wanted answered. There were also hopes that he might say that he’s sorry. But for now, my last image of him is not being very remorseful." UPDATE: Forty-seven-year-old Cleve Foster’s lethal injection was stopped by the U.S. Supreme Court so it can further review an appeal. In the court’s brief order, Justices Antonin Scalia and Sam Alito indicated they would have allowed the punishment to proceed.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
January 11, 2011 Alabama Ruby White Leroy White executed
Ruby White, a schoolteacher, was the estranged wife of Leroy White. The couple had separated during the month of August or September, 1988, when Ruby White left their home in Huntsville, Alabama, and moved into a shelter for abused spouses. During a previous argument, White had shot Ruby in the leg. Following their separation, Ruby White hired an attorney and filed a petition for divorce. A hearing was scheduled at which time they both verbally agreed that White would move out of the home and would allow Ruby and her two children to return. The residence was owned solely by Ruby prior to her marriage to White. After her return to the house, Ruby changed the door locks and her sister, Stella Lanier, moved in with Ruby and her two children. The children were Brian Smith, age 16, son of Ruby White and a former husband, John Smith, and Latonia White, age 17 months, daughter of Ruby and Leroy White. On the afternoon of October 17, 1988, White purchased a shotgun from Blue Springs Pawn Shop. After purchasing the shotgun, he went to Larry’s Pawn Shop and purchased some double-aught shotgun shells. After making these purchases, White drove to Ruby’s home. The testimony indicated that White had been drinking alcohol during the day. On his first arrival at the home on Evans Drive, White pulled his car into the driveway and almost ran over his 17 month old daughter. Stella Lanier observed this and White and Stella got into an argument about his driving. White then placed his daughter in the car and drove off. At approximately 5:15 p.m. White returned to the Evans Drive residence of his wife and exited his vehicle armed with a 12 gauge shotgun and a.38 caliber pistol. Ruby and Stella observed White pull up and get out of his car with the shotgun and pistol. They went into the house and locked the doors. Brian Smith was sent to a rear bedroom by his mother and told to hide under the bed. Latonia White was still in White’s car. White then came up to the front door and, finding it locked, shot the glass out of the storm door and shot the lock off the wooden front door. He then kicked the door open, entered the house and began to scuffle with Ruby and her sister, Stella. As Stella tried to flee the house, White ran out on the front porch and shot four times. Stella fell in the yard, having been wounded in her right arm and right leg. White then went back in the house and confronted Ruby who was begging and pleading for her life. After a brief confrontation, Ruby ran out into the front yard at which time White told her to stop or he would blow her legs off. She stopped and White confronted her with the shotgun. Ruby grabbed the barrel of the shotgun and continued to plead for her life. Her daughter Latonia was in White’s car and her son Brian was in the house. Finally, White shoved Ruby away from the gun and fired at her at point blank range with the double-aught buckshot. The blast tore the flesh from her right arm as she tried to shield herself and the pellets penetrated her chest and abdomen. Ruby fell to the ground moaning but she was not dead. Testimony revealed that White then went back into the house and called for Brian to come out of his hiding place. When Brian came out, White told him to tell his daddy that "… when I get out of this, I’m going to kill him, too." White then went back outside, walked up to where Ruby lay on the ground moaning and said, "Bitch, you ain’t dead yet." He then went to his car, re-loaded the shotgun, picked up his 17 month old daughter and walked back over to where Ruby lay on the ground. As he placed the muzzle of the shotgun to her neck, he said, "Bitch, this is the last thing you will see." He then smiled and pulled the trigger. The blast tore a hole in Ruby’s neck where the gun shot entered and blew off the back side of her head where it exited. At this time, the police arrived and White surrendered without incident. Stella Lanier was the prime witness against White at his trial. The jury found White guilty after 20 minutes of deliberation. The same jury recommended life by a vote of 9 to 3, however, as allowed by Alabama law, the trial court judge sentenced White to death. Judge Daniel Banks said White’s actions were especially "heinous and atrocious compared to other capital offenses." UPDATE: Leroy White was executed after refusing the opportunity for a final meal or last words. When asked if had any statements to make before his death, White said, "No." He waved his fingers at the witnesses to his execution before being pronounced dead at 9:10 p.m. The families of both Leroy and Ruby White decided not to witness the execution. Family friends Jim and Shelley Douglass were the only two people who requested to view it.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
January 11, 2011 Tennessee John Dale Dotson
Jimmy Porter
Edmund Zagorski stayed
On April 5, 1983, Edmund Zagorski first appeared at the Lakeland Trout farm in Bucksnort in Hickman County, Tennessee. The Trout Farm was managed by Zagorski’s friend, Jimmy Blackwell. Zagorski, calling himself "Jesse Lee Hardin," claimed to have been working as a mercenary in Honduras and El Salvador. He was wearing camouflage clothing, and was carrying a survival knife, an HK 91.308 semi-automatic rifle and other weapons and survival gear. Although he claimed to have made as much as $100 a day as a mercenary, Zagorski did not seem to have any money. During his stay at the trout farm, Zagorski met John Dale Dotson and his wife Marsha. Dotson and Zagorski arranged a marijuana purchase involving them and a third man, Jimmy Porter, who lived in nearby Dickson, Tennessee. According to Marsha Dotson, Porter was to pay $23,000 for one hundred pounds of marijuana Zagorski would arrange to have dropped from an airplane into the woods. Dotson was to receive $10,000 from Porter for his part of the deal. (Zagorski in a statement to investigating officers stated that the sale was to be of 200 pounds of marijuana at $150 per pound). The date of the transaction was to be April 23, 1983. At about midnight, on April 21, 1983, an airplane flew very low over the Trout Farm. Zagorski, who was with Blackwell, commented "It’s here," and left. Zagorski later told Dotson the marijuana had arrived and was in the woods with a man called Dave; that Dotson and no more than two other men were to meet Zagorski, who would be on foot, at 6:00 p.m. at Spot, Tennessee, which was within walking distance of the Trout Farm. Zagorski also told Dotson to come armed. On the afternoon of April 23, 1983, Porter and Dotson were together at the Eastside Tavern in Dickson, Tennessee. There Porter showed the tavern operator a bank bag containing cash and a.357 Magnum pistol. Dotson and Porter left the tavern in Porter’s red Datsun pick-up at about 4:30 p.m. They were never seen alive again. Also on April 23, 1983, Zagorski left the trout farm, taking his gear. He had been heard to tell Dotson that he would meet him at 6:00 p.m. on the road "up behind Spot." At around 5:30 p.m., Blackwell and his girlfriend heard gunshots from the general area where Zagorski had walked into the woods. According to Blackwell, it was not unusual to hear gunshots on a daily basis in that part of Hickman County because of the frequency of deer hunting in the area. On May 6, 1983, the badly decomposed bodies of Porter and Dotson were discovered in a secluded, wooded area near I-65 in Robertson County. The men had been shot in the chest and abdomen and their throats had been cut. A search of the area turned up a military snake-bite kit, a knife scabbard (later identified as Zagorski’s), a case for "Red Specs" glasses (the type worn by Zagorski), six flares, three size "C" Duracel flashlight batteries and an ink pen. Officers also found a.308 cartridge on the ground between the bodies of the victims. Ballistic tests showed that the cartridge had been fired from Zagorski’s HK 91 semi-automatic rifle. An autopsy was performed on the bodies of the victims, but due to the advanced stage of decomposition, the time of death of the victims could not be fixed with any degree of certainty. The pathologist stated that the time of death could be any time from a week to a month prior to the time the autopsies were performed. The pathologist also testified that he could not determine whether the victims were shot or cut first, but that the actual cause of death of each of the victims was the gunshot wounds. According to the pathologist, neither Porter nor Dotson would have died immediately upon being shot, but they would have lived five to seven minutes. The record further shows that at the time of death, Porter had a blood alcohol level of.10 and Dotson had a blood alcohol level of.25. Johnny Baggett, who found the bodies, testified that a week to ten days before at around 7:00 or 8:00 p.m., he had heard gunshots in the area. When questioned closer about the gunshots, he fixed the time at around April 25 or 26, 1983. At about that time, Zagorski showed up at the home of Rodney Bruce in Ironton, Ohio, driving Porter’s Datson truck. He also had with him the deceased men’s coveralls and Porter’s.357 Magnum pistol. While in Ironton, Zagorski spent large sums of cash on survival gear, weapons, horses, a four-wheel drive pick-up, and a motorcycle. At one point he showed Bruce what he said was $25,000 in cash. He first claimed he had earned the money working off-shore and later said he had earned it working as a mercenary in South America. He also said he had made a "quick" $10,000 in Nashville. Zagorski also told Bruce and an army surplus dealer that he had lost his knife scabbard. On May 26, 1983, Zagorski, armed and wearing a bullet-proof vest, was apprehended by Ohio law enforcement officers after a shoot-out in which Zagorski rammed a police car and shot a special deputy five times. Over $9,000 in cash was found in Zagorski’s fatigue jacket and suit. Zagorski gave different versions of his role in the killings of Dotson and Porter. When he spoke with police on June 1, 1983, he told them that he and another mercenary in their own vehicle had met Dotson and Porter near Spot. Two other mercenaries in a third vehicle had joined them as they drove up I-40. When they stopped on I-65 in Robertson County, the other mercenaries took Zagorski’s rifle, silencer and gear and went into the woods with Dotson and Porter. Zagorski was instructed to drive Porter’s pick-up to a Welcome Center at the Kentucky border and watch for law enforcement officers. Thirty to forty-five minutes later the other mercenaries met him, gave him $5,000 and Porter’s.357 Magnum and returned his rifle and gear. Zagorski then left in Porter’s pick-up since, he said, it was not unusual to trade cars in a drug deal. In statements made on July 27 and August 1, 1983, Zagorski claimed he was hired to kill Porter but that Dotson’s death was a mistake. He also said that two other men had been hired to kill Porter, that the deaths occurred in Humphreys County and that the bodies were put in plastic bags and carried to Robertson County. Zagorski never admitted killing the men and refused to tell the identities of the other men he claimed were involved. Zagorski told some visitors at the jail that he had only been at the killings to "blow away" FBI agents. The defense proof was directed toward showing that the killings did not occur in Robertson County. One witness, Ruby Winters, testified that at about 4:00 p.m. on April 23, 1983, she had heard loud music and four shots coming in a wooded area near Spot. Another witness testified as to how the HK 91 rifle fired and how far cartridges were expelled from the gun. This was in contradiction to testimony of state witnesses on the issue. The jury found from the evidence that Zagorski was guilty of murder in the first degree in killing John Dotson and Jimmy Porter. Implicit in the verdicts was a finding by the jury that the killings occurred in Robertson County, Tennessee. In a separate proceeding, and based upon the testimony introduced during the guilt phase of the trial, the jury imposed the sentence of death on Zagorski for each killing on its finding (1) that the murders were committed by Zagorski while he was engaged in committing robbery of the victims, (2) that the murders were especially heinous, atrocious or cruel in that they involved torture or depravity of mind, and (3) that there was no mitigating circumstance sufficiently substantial to outweigh the statutory aggravating circumstances found by the jury.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
January 12, 2011 Missouri Randy Martindale Richard Clay commuted
Richard D. Clay’s close friend Charles Sanders had an affair with Stacy Martindale. In February 1994, Martindale asked Sanders to help her kill her husband. She was unhappy in her marriage and also was the primary beneficiary of her husband’s life insurance policy in the face amount of $100,000. During the spring of 1994, every time they met, Sanders and Martindale discussed various plans to kill her husband. Sanders confided in Clay, who told him that he would be "crazy" to help her with the plan. Sanders borrowed a gun from another friend and kept it in his car. He bought ammunition and he and Martindale practiced firing the weapon. At that time Clay was unemployed and did not own a car. He often borrowed Sanders’ car, twice took the gun out of the car without permission, and left the gun at a friend’s house. He testified that he removed the gun so that he would not be caught with it while driving Sanders’ car. Martindale separated from her husband about April 28, 1994. Martindale offered Sanders $10,000 to kill her husband, and in April gave him a check for $4996.36 as a "down payment." A few weeks later, Sanders returned the check to Martindale, telling her that he could not execute the act they had been discussing. A carbon copy of the check was later found. On May 19, 1994, Martindale met Sanders at Sanders’ place of employment. Clay waited inside to give them privacy. Outside, Martindale pressured Sanders to kill her husband. When Sanders refused, Martindale told him that she was going to ask Clay to do it. Then she immediately rode around alone with Clay. Leaving Martindale, Clay went to a bar, to a restaurant, and then to a trailer. Clay left the trailer carrying a black zippered bag. At 9:45 p.m., Martindale picked up Clay, who still had the black bag, and drove him to her home. In the meantime, her estranged husband had taken her two boys to a baseball game. He brought the boys back to her house after 10 p.m. Martindale invited him to spend the night. He went into her bedroom, sat down on a loveseat, and took off his shoes and socks. While he was sitting there, Clay came out of the bedroom closet where he was hiding and shot him four times. The victim bled to death. Martindale ran next door, awakening the neighbors with her screams. A neighbor came over to the house with her to find the two boys and discovered the victim bleeding from gunshot wounds, slumped over on the loveseat in the bedroom. Moments later, a police officer saw a red Camaro with sparks flying beneath it. Because the driver continued to drive despite the sparks, the officer believed the driver was drunk. He pursued the Camaro, and when it accelerated, the officer turned on his red lights. The officer caught up to the Camaro on a gravel road where it was stopped, both doors opened, with the engine running. The officer requested backup and turned off the ignition of the Camaro. A shoeprint, later found to match Clay’s, was found outside the passenger door. When the other officers arrived, they began a search, sweeping the area from the vehicle to a swamp. An officer found a dry, live.380 caliber Remington-and-Peters cartridge that matched those found at the crime scene in dew-covered grass. The search lasted through the night. The next day several officers were sitting on a levee when one saw Clay run into the woods. Clay was carrying a black bag. As the officers closed in on him, he emptied the bag and threw it behind him. Officers continued the search through the swamp until one saw Clay’s face as he surfaced to breathe. When the officers reached him, they arrested him. The police never found the murder weapon. On October 16, 1995, Stacy Martindale was convicted of the second-degree murder of her husband and sentenced to 15 years. Charles Sanders, who was convicted of tampering — a class D felony — received a five-year suspended sentence. UDATE: Missouri Governor Jay Nixon commuted Richard Clay’s death sentence to life without parole. Nixon gave no insight on his reasons for commuting the sentence handed down in the murder trial.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
January 25, 2011 Georgia Julie Love, 27 Emmanuel Hammond executed
Julie Love, murder victimJulie Love was last seen by her fiancÚ the morning of July 11, 1988. He called her that evening and she was not in. He left a message on her answering machine. He left another message the next day. When she did not return his calls, he thought at first that she was "sort of having her way" and "getting back at me a little bit." However, when she failed to return his call the next day he became concerned. He began calling her friends and family and discovered she had not been in touch with any of them either. He went to her apartment that evening with a policeman. She was not home, and they did not feel they had a right to enter her apartment at that time. However, after her car was discovered abandoned and out of gas half a mile from her fiancÚ’s house, a formal investigation was begun by the police. The investigation proved fruitless for over a year. In August of 1989, Janice Weldon, a 34-year-old stripper at an Atlanta lounge and intimate companion of 26-year-old Emmanuel Hammond, had him arrested on charges of aggravated assault after he tried to strangle her. While he was in jail on these charges, Weldon reported to police that Hammond and his cousin Maurice Porter were responsible for the disappearance of Julie Love. Police followed up her report by placing a "body bug" on her and monitoring conversations between her and Maurice Porter. Porter made several incriminating statements, and he and Hammond were arrested. Porter confessed and led police to skeletal remains which were identified by her childhood dentist and next-door neighbor as the mortal remains of Julie Love. Porter and Weldon testified at Hammond’s trial. According to them, Porter, Janice Weldon and Hammond were driving around the evening of July 11, 1988 in Hammond’s maroon Oldsmobile Cutlass sedan. They spotted Julie Love walking by the side of Howell Mill Road. At Hammond’s command, Porter, the driver, stopped so Hammond could ask her if she wanted a ride. Julie answered in the negative, and pointed to a nearby house, claiming she lived there. She walked up the driveway and they drove off. Before they got out of sight, however, Hammond saw her returning to the road. Porter was told to turn around and drive by in the opposite direction, this time with his lights on bright. They drove past Julie Love again and saw farther up the road a car which they correctly deduced was hers. Hammond told Janice Weldon to drive, and they returned to Julie Love. Janice Weldon stopped the car, and Hammond, armed with a sawed-off shotgun, jumped out, grabbed the victim and threw her into the back of the car. They drove to Grove Park Elementary School (which Hammond had attended). Julie’s purse was searched and Hammond instructed Janice Weldon and Porter to take her bank cards to an automated bank teller machine and get money, using an access number given them by Julie. Hammond remained at the school with his sawed-off shotgun and Julie Love. The other two returned later without money or the bank cards. The access number they had tried to use was incorrect and the machines had kept the cards. Hammond, angry at this result, struck Julie repeatedly with the shotgun. Porter then raped Julie Love. Julie, pleading not to be hurt, told Hammond she had more cards at home. They drove to Julie’s apartment complex but were deterred from entering by the presence of a security guard at the entrance to the complex. At this point, Janice Weldon demanded she herself be allowed to go home. She was dropped off at her apartment and the remaining three returned to the Grove Park school. Hammond got clothes hangers and a sheet from the trunk of the car. He tied Julie’s feet together, tied her hands behind her back and wrapped a sheet around her body. He then wrapped a coat hanger around her neck, and, telling Porter to pull one end while he pulled the other, tried to strangle Julie. She struggled and broke free. Hammond got her under control and retied her hands. He told Porter to drive to Grove Park, where they stopped by the side of the road. Leaving Porter with the car, Hammond took Julie Love into the woods. Porter heard a gunshot. A few minutes later Hammond returned alone, his face flecked with blood. Hammond returned home at 7:00 a.m. that morning. Janice Weldon asked him what had happened to Julie Love. He did not want to talk about it then, but later told her that after Julie "put her hands in front of her face," he "blew the side of her face off." He dumped her body in a trash pile and covered her up with a board. The sawed-off shotgun was recovered from Michael Dominick, to whom Hammond had sold the gun not long after killing Julie Love with it. The victim’s earrings were also recovered, after having been pawned for $140 by Janice Weldon. After his arrest, Hammond gave Janice Weldon’s photograph and address to an inmate due to be released soon, and offered him $20,000 to kill her. In addition to the foregoing, the state offered evidence establishing that on three previous occasions Emmanuel Hammond had kidnapped young women and robbed or attempted to rob them by obtaining their bank cards to use in automated teller machines. Moreover, he stabbed the third of these women numerous times and left her for dead on a trash pile in a wooded area. In jail awaiting his trial, Hammond bragged to others about raping Julie Love, according to the trial testimony of a guard.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
January 31, 2011 Montana Harvey Mad Man, Jr.
Thomas Running Rabbit, Jr.
Ronald Smith stayed
On August 3, 1982, Ronald Smith, then 24 years old, hitched a ride from the town of Red Deer in Alberta, Canada, toward the U.S.-Canadian border. He was accompanied by two other men, Rod Munro, a friend with whom Smith had spent time in jail, and Andre Fontaine, someone Smith had known only a few months. The three young men, lacking stable employment and having served time in Canadian jails, had decided they had no future in Canada and would set off for Mexico. Smith and Munro were heavy drug users; Smith apparently had begun using heroin and hallucinogens as a child, and had been consuming 10 to 20 tablets of LSD a day during the summer of 1982. Without a car or much money, the three walked across the U.S. border into Montana and hitchhiked south, coming to East Glacier, Montana on August 4. Munro had purchased a large quantity of LSD for the trip; he testified that he and Smith consumed at least 40 "hits" each during August 3 and August 4. In East Glacier the young men stopped in a bar at approximately one o’clock in the afternoon. There they drank beer and played pool with some others in the bar, including Harvey Mad Man, Jr., and Thomas Running Rabbit, Jr. After about an hour, Smith, Munro and Fontaine bought more beer to take with them and started walking west along Highway 2, hoping to hitch a ride. They were picked up by Mad Man and Running Rabbit. The five men, all drinking, drove until Mad Man and Running Rabbit decided to stop and urinate in some roadside bushes. When Mad Man and Running Rabbit returned to the car, Smith produced a gun, and Munro a knife, which they had carried with them from Canada. Intending to steal the car, Smith and Munro walked Mad Man and Running Rabbit back into the bushes. There Smith shot Mad Man. Smith then reloaded his gun and shot Running Rabbit. The two victims were killed instantly. Smith and Munro then returned to the car, and drove off. The car was recovered when Fontaine and Munro were later arrested for armed robbery in California. Fontaine linked Smith to the killings. Smith was arrested in Wyoming. Smith was charged with two counts of aggravated kidnapping and two counts of deliberate homicide. On November 1, 1982, Smith pled not guilty to the crimes. On February 23, 1983, Smith moved to change his plea to guilty, and asked for the death penalty. He stated that he wanted a death sentence because he had received threats against his life from Native American prisoners, and because, having spent nearly half his life in prison, he saw no reason to continue living in prison. Following acceptance of the guilty plea, a sentencing hearing was held March 21, 1983, to consider aggravating and mitigating circumstances. The state presented no witnesses at the hearing. Smith testified, reiterating his request to die. He asserted that there were no circumstances mitigating his crimes. At the conclusion of the hearing, the court ordered Smith’s execution. Subsequently, however, Smith filed a motion for reconsideration of the death sentence and for the assistance of a court-appointed psychiatrist. At hearings on the motion for reconsideration on May 3, 1983, and December 1, 1983, Smith testified that when he changed his plea to guilty and asked to die he had been deeply depressed, and had purposefully omitted reference to any mitigating factors. He explained that upon his arrest for the shootings he had been placed in solitary confinement without fresh air, sunlight, or exercise. He now sought reconsideration of the sentence because, having been transferred to better prison conditions, he was more optimistic about surviving in prison, and because he had been visited by his family, who urged him to live. At the hearings on reconsideration of the death sentence, Smith stated that for the previous five years he had been addicted to LSD, and that on the day of the shooting he had been in a dissociative state. Fontaine and Munro also testified and confirmed Smith’s drug and alcohol use. Munro, who had consumed LSD and alcohol with Smith, testified that he (Munro) was hallucinating on the day of the crime. Smith discussed his criminal background, indicating that none of his previous crimes had involved violence. He stated his interest in rehabilitation. He brought forward character evidence supporting his claim that violence was out of character, and that he was capable of rehabilitation. He continued to admit guilt for the shootings. In light of the contradictory testimony on possible mitigation, the trial court on June 10, 1983 ordered a psychiatrist to examine Smith and prepare a report for the court. Defense counsel objected to the psychiatrist’s reporting directly to the court rather than acting as an aid to the defense. Notwithstanding the objection, the psychiatric examination was held under direction of the court and reported directly to the court. The examination was limited to the specific question of mental capacity on the day of the killings. The psychiatrist testified at the December 1, 1983 reconsideration hearing. In the psychiatrist’s opinion, even assuming use of large quantities of LSD immediately before the crime, such usage did not substantially affect Smith’s mental capacity or actions. Following this testimony, Smith petitioned for the appointment of another psychiatrist. That motion was denied, and on February 15, 1984, the trial court filed its order sentencing Smith to die. The court found that aggravating circumstances justifying a death penalty existed and that there were no mitigating circumstances "sufficiently substantial to call for leniency".

Page visited times since 11/8/10

Page last updated 12/06/12