June 2011 Executions

Six killers were executed in June 2011. They had murdered at least 8 people.
killers were given a stay in June 2011. They have murdered at least 13 people.
One killer had his death sentence commuted in June 2011. He has murdered at least 2 people.

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
June 1, 2011 Texas Brian Williams, 29 Gayland Bradford executed
On the evening of December 28, 1988, Gayland Bradford told a girlfriend he was going to make some money. Bradford showed her a gun. Bradford left the girlfriend’s apartment with two other people. Having known Bradford for awhile, the girlfriend guessed Bradford was going to rob somebody. Later that evening, or in the early morning of December 29, 1988, Bradford entered a grocery store and shot store security guard Brian Williams in the back and took the guard’s gun while repeatedly shooting the guard as he lay on the floor. Bradford told an accomplice to take the fatally wounded guard’s money. The accomplice took seven dollars and some other personal items from the guard, including his hat and his pipe. Bradford and the accomplice left the store without taking anything else. The store’s security camera recorded these events. The guard died about an hour later. Bradford later confessed he went to the store “to get some money” and that he shot the guard. At punishment, the prosecution produced evidence that Bradford possessed a violent nature and posed a continuing threat to society. Dallas police officer W.C. Dean testified that he was assigned to the Youth and Family Violence Division, and was stationed at Pinkston High School, which was a block and a half away from where Bradford lived. He testified that he had come into contact with Bradford on several occasions between 1983 and 1986 and had also spoken with many individuals in the neighborhood. He testified that in his opinion, Bradford’s reputation in the community for being peaceful and law abiding was bad. Saint Paul police officer Jefferey Hutchinson testified that while he was a West Dallas police officer, he had contact with Bradford about twenty-five times. Officer Hutchinson testified that Bradford was usually uncooperative. Officer Hutchinson regularly saw Bradford on the streets in the middle of the night, and he was usually with other people and appeared to be the leader of the group. He finally testified that Bradford had a reputation in the community for being a non-law-abiding citizen. A Dallas police officer testified that, on March 16, 1986, she responded to a call in which Bradford participated in the burglary of a school building. Bradford and another individual were chased and eventually arrested by the officer and her partner. Robert Nogueira testified that he was the chief probation officer for the court where Bradford was placed on probation for burglary of a building. He enumerated for the jury numerous probation violations as well as Bradford’s prior arrest for evading arrest. He further testified that Bradford did nothing to improve his station in life even though the probation officer tried to work with him. Bradford’s probation was revoked for a new aggravated robbery which he committed on April 30, 1986, while using a knife. Bradford’s probation record shows he received four years in prison for the burglary of a building and two years in prison for his robbery conviction. A warden testified regarding Bradford’s numerous disciplinary problems in state prison. One incident involved Bradford being convicted of inciting a riot and fighting without a weapon. In this incident, Bradford and another inmate assaulted a third inmate. The warden further testified that on one occasion Bradford had to be restrained by a guard with handcuffs. On another occasion Bradford was found guilty of being involved in a riot at the Clemens Unit between black and Hispanic inmates in which several inmates were injured. Bradford’s parole officer testified that Bradford failed to report on some occasions and had not paid any of the restitution that he was supposed to pay. He further testified that he and another individual paid Bradford’s enrollment fee for trade school out of their own pocket as well as provided Bradford with transportation for appointments at the trade school. Nevertheless, Bradford did not enroll in the trade school until August 31, 1988, and in December 1988, Clark discovered that Bradford had quit attending. Clark stated that he had done everything he could do to help Bradford become a law-abiding citizen, but it did not work. A woman testified that a few days after the shooting of the security guard at a grocery store, she heard Bradford bragging about the shooting, telling a group of boys that he did not “give a damn” and that he had thrown the murder weapon in the lake. She also testified that on the night of Bradford’s arrest by Dallas police, she viewed the videotape of the murder and identified Bradford in the tape as the gunman. Based on a review of Bradford’s case, Dr. John Rennebohm, a psychiatrist, testified that that in his medical opinion there was very much a probability that Bradford would commit criminal acts of violence which would constitute a continuing threat to society. He further testified that Bradford’s behavior fit that of an antisocial personality and that Bradford’s striking of prison guards shows that he is aggressive without restraint.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
June 14, 2011 Ohio Diamond Marteen
Terrance Richard
Shawn Hawkins granted clemency
On June 11, 1989, Diamond Marteen and Jerome Thomas were interested in buying a pound of marijuana. Terrance Richard knew Shawn L. Hawkins to be a potential seller. Richard, Marteen, and Thomas drove to Hawkins’ residence on Newbrook Drive in Mt. Healthy, Ohio that evening in a silver-gray Hyundai sedan owned by Richard’s mother. Hawkins negotiated the terms of a drug deal with the men. Hawkins provided the men with a pager number so that they could contact him later for the delivery of the drugs. The three men showed Hawkins the approximately $1,400 in cash that they intended to use to purchase the marijuana. Thomas testified that Hawkins never entered the Hyundai sedan during the drug deal negotiations. Thereafter, Richard and Marteen drove Thomas to work at approximately 10:30 pm. Richard and Marteen then proceeded to the home of Melissa Edwards. They used her telephone to page someone and received a return phone call. Richard and Marteen left Edwards’ home after receiving the telephone call. Some time in the late hours of June 11, 1989, or the early morning hours of June 12, 1989, Richard and Marteen were killed. The bodies of Richard and Marteen were discovered mid-morning on June 12, 1989, in the Hyundai sedan owned by Richard’s mother on Elizabeth Street, a residential street in Mt. Healthy. Marteen’s body was found in the front passenger seat in a reclined position; Richard’s body was found in the rear seat. Each man had been shot twice at close range in the left side of the head. All four shots were fired from a.25 caliber weapon. The weapon was never recovered. Crime scene investigators determined that the crime had occurred in another location and that the vehicle had been moved shortly after the killings. Investigators found no money in the vehicle except for loose change. Jewelry that Marteen had been wearing the night before was missing from his body. His pants pockets were turned partially inside out. A morgue attendant later found a napkin on which a pager number was written in one of Richard’s pockets. The pager number was discovered to be one used by Hawkins. The police contacted Hawkins as a potential witness to the murders. He admitted to having discussed a drug deal with the victims on the evening of June 11, 1989. However, Hawkins testified at trial that the deal was not consummated because he was unable to get in touch with his suppliers. Hawkins told the police that he never saw the victims after 9:00 p.m. on June 11th. The police stated that Hawkins denied having entered the Hyundai sedan. Forensic experts identified two fingerprints matching Hawkins’ prints inside the Hyundai. One of the prints, a thumbprint, was set in human blood on a blood-spattered notebook recovered from the floor of the rear of the automobile. The thumbprint could have been made only by a bloody thumb touching the notebook or by a thumb touching a bloodstain on the notebook. The blood on the notebook was Type A which matched the blood type of both victims. The second fingerprint was found on the right rear door of the Hyundai. Henry Brown, Jr., a seventeen year-old juvenile, eventually came forward to identify Hawkins as the killer. Brown told the authorities that on June 12, 1989 at 12:30 a.m. he saw Hawkins kill Richard in the rear seat of a Hyundai sedan on a cul-de-sac on Newbrook Drive. Brown stated that Marteen already was dead in the front seat. Brown stated further that Hawkins rummaged through the vehicle and drove it from the murder scene. He described the murder weapon as a.25 caliber handgun. He stated that Hawkins was wearing a black muscle shirt at the time of the murders. Other witnesses described hearing four gun shots on June 12, 1989, between approximately 12:30 a.m. and 1:00 a.m., originating in the cul-de-sac area of Newbrook Drive. Several minutes after the shots, Kenneth Boehmler saw a silver-gray sedan driving in a suspicious manner on Hudepohl Lane, one block south of the Newbrook Drive cul-de-sac. When the driver of the sedan exited the vehicle for a few moments, Boehlmer identified him as wearing a dark muscle shirt and described his height, weight, and build in a manner consistent with Hawkins’ height, weight, and build. Boehmler also saw someone reclining in the front passenger seat as if asleep. In September 1989, Hawkins was indicted for the aggravated murders of Richard and Marteen. For each of the two murders, Hawkins was indicted on two counts: one charging that the offense was committed with prior calculation and design and one charging felony murder premised upon aggravated robbery. Each of the four counts of aggravated murder carried two death penalty specifications. Hawkins also was indicted on two counts of aggravated robbery with a firearm. Hawkins was tried in December 1989 before a jury in the Hamilton County, Ohio Common Pleas Court. He testified on his own behalf and denied the murders and robberies. He also presented the testimony of other witnesses. Nonetheless, the jury convicted Hawkins of all charges and all specifications. The jury recommended a death sentence for each aggravated murder count. The trial court sentenced Hawkins to death. UPDATE: Ohio Governor John Kasich commuted the death sentence of Shawn Hawkins after the parole board recommended that he do so saying, "The board is not confident in the death sentence in this case, but is also not convinced that Shawn Hawkins is innocent."
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
June 14, 2011 Nebraska Reuel Eugene Van Ness, Jr.
Maynard Helgeland
Carey Moore stayed
In August 1979, Carey Dean Moore purchased a handgun and set out to rob and kill Omaha cab drivers. Moore carefully planned to select older targets because he thought it would be easier for him to shoot an older man rather than a man nearer his own age. In carrying out this scheme, Moore called several cabs over a period of time and hid while watching them arrive, and depart, if the driver was young. Moore confessed to the police that he felt an older victim would be an easier mark. Using this approach, Moore selectively abducted and murdered cab driver Reuel Eugene Van Ness, Jr. on August 22, 1979, and Maynard Helgeland on August 27, 1979.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
June 15, 2011 Texas Edward Mark Caylor, 17
Kai Brooke Geyer, 15
Steven Brady Watson, 15
John Balentine stayed
In the early morning hours of January 21, 1998, John Lezell Balentine, armed with a.32 automatic pistol, crawled through a window to enter a home which he used to share with Misty Caylor. Once inside, Balentine shot and killed three teens, Mark Caylor, Jr., 17 who was Misty’s brother; Kai Geyer, 15; and Steven Brady Watson, 15, as they slept. Each victim was shot in the head. Balentine fled to New Mexico but was later arrested in Houston where he confessed to the crimes. Officer Timothy Hardin of the Amarillo Police Department testified that he was dispatched on a shots-fired call at 2:26 a.m. on Wednesday, January 21, 1998. When Hardin arrived, the complainant stated that he thought he had heard.22 caliber shots to the east of his residence. Hardin looked around and found nothing in the complainant’s backyard or the alleyway behind the house. Two other officers then arrived and offered to assist Hardin by searching the area in their vehicle. After the officers left, Hardin noticed a man, later identified as John Balentine, walking down the street two houses away from the complainant’s residence. Hardin testified that when he first saw Balentine, he had his hands in his pockets, appeared to be nervous, and was constantly looking over his shoulder in Hardin’s direction. In addition, Balentine was walking away from Hardin at a brisk pace. Hardin ordered Balentine to stop and raise his hands in the air. Hardin then approached Balentine, and conducted a pat-down “Terry frisk” because he “didn’t know if Balentine might be the person who had fired shots” and that he “wanted to make sure that there was no weapon on Balentine while I was speaking to him.” Hardin did not feel any weapons. Nevertheless, Hardin suspected that Balentine may have been involved in the reported gunfire and he escorted Balentine to the back seat of his patrol car for questioning. When Hardin asked Balentine why he was in the area, Balentine stated that he was walking from a Wal-Mart, which was approximately five miles away, to his sister’s house, which was located several miles across town. Balentine identified himself as “John Lezell Smith” and told Hardin that he was staying with his sister. Balentine initially stated that he did not know his social security number but later told Hardin five of the digits. He then stated that he had planned to visit a friend in the area and agreed to let Hardin ask this friend to identify Balentine because Balentine did not have a driver’s license or an identification card. Hardin drove Balentine to his friend’s residence. Balentine’s friend identified him as “John” and stated that he lived a block away, which contradicted Balentine’s story that he was staying with his sister several miles across town. Balentine explained that his friend was unaware he had moved. When Hardin asked Balentine to show him where he used to live, Balentine gave Hardin an address that turned out to be an empty lot. Hardin asked Balentine if he had ever been arrested in Amarillo and Balentine replied that he had not. Hardin contacted the police dispatcher to run a records check. According to the police dispatcher, “John Lezell Smith” had been arrested for traffic warrants. Hardin again became concerned for his safety because he felt that a subject who would lie to him during questioning might “commit some type of unsafe act or conceal a weapon.” Hardin placed Balentine in handcuffs, had him exit the vehicle, and conducted a second, more thorough pat-down search. When he patted down the outside of Balentine’s front pants pocket, he felt what he thought was a small pocket knife. Hardin put his hand in Balentine’s pocket and felt that the object was actually a lighter. While Hardin was feeling the lighter, his hand touched an object that he immediately recognized as a bullet. He removed the object from the pocket and saw that it was a.32 caliber bullet. Balentine told Hardin that he had recently been on a hunting trip and forgotten the bullet in his pocket. Hardin again placed Balentine in the patrol car and called a supervisor who told Hardin to complete a field interview card and then release Balentine because possession of a bullet was not against the law. Hardin returned the bullet to Balentine and offered him a ride to his sister’s house, which Balentine accepted. The trip took five to ten minutes and Hardin dropped Balentine off at the residence at 3:36 a.m. Hardin returned to the area where he had detained Balentine to have another look around but found nothing. Later that day, officers for the Amarillo Police Department were called to the scene of a triple homicide that had occurred at a residence fifty yards from where Officer Hardin encountered Balentine. The police identified Balentine as a suspect the day the victims were discovered. Balentine was eventually arrested in July of 1998 in Houston. At a pre-trial suppression hearing, Balentine moved to suppress the physical evidence obtained as a result of Officer Hardin’s search. The trial court denied the motion and Hardin testified at trial about the bullet he found in Balentine’s pocket. In addition, the State introduced evidence that the three victims were killed by.32 caliber bullets and that three spent cartridge shells found at the scene of the murders were marked identically to the bullet found on Balentine.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
June 16, 2011 Texas John Hampton, 79
Donta Green
Lee Taylor executed
While serving a life sentence for aggravated robbery, Lee Andrew Taylor, a member of the white supremacist Aryan Brotherhood gang, stabbed another inmate to death in a racial fight. On November 17, 1995, at the age of 16, Taylor robbed and brutally beat an elderly couple in their home in Channelview, Texas, near Houston. John and Mildred Hampton, both 79 years old, were savagely beaten during the robbery. Taylor used the money he got from robbing the couple to rent a motel room and throw a party. John Hampton was in a coma for most of the two months after the beating before finally succumbing to his injuries on January 13, 1996. Mildred had to have massive reconstructive surgeries to repair her broken jaw and other damage to her face. At the February 20, 1996 hearing held to determine whether to certify Taylor as an adult in this crime, John K. Hampton, the grandson of John and Mildred Hampton, testified. He said that he had traveled from Plano with his wife, half-brother and two young children to visit his grandparents in Houston on the day of the crime. The next morning around 10:00 am they went to the home where his grandparents had lived for 10 years and knocked on the door. After not receiving an answer, he checked the garage to see if the couple’s car was there. Mildred frequently left the garage door slightly elevated so their cats could enter and exit. After around ten minutes, Mildred made it to the door and opened it, revealing her battered face to her family. "Her head was about twice the size and her eyes were swollen shut. There was blood on her hands and all over her blouse." John K. Hampton sent his family back to their car and asked a neighbor to call 911, then went inside. His grandfather was lying on his side in a pool of blood and Mildred was in a state of shock, but was lucid enough to warn her grandson not to touch the phone because the attacker had touched it and there might be fingerprints. In any case, the phones were not working because the cords had been ripped from the wall. Jewelry boxes were emptied and John Hampton’s wallet containing about $40 was stolen. After police questioned neighbors, they learned that someone named Lee had stayed at a nearby motel and had gone to a hospital after being involved in a fight during his party. Police obtained Taylor’s full name at the hospital and matched it to the motel records. After they questioned Taylor, he confessed and showed them where he had thrown away John Hampton’s wallet. Taylor was charged with capital murder and was to be tried as an adult. He subsequently accepted a plea bargain and was convicted of aggravated robbery and sentenced to a term of life imprisonment. While he was serving that sentence, Taylor came into possession of a “shank” — a prison-made stabbing implement — which he used against Donta Green during the morning of March 31, 1999. Taylor stabbed Green 13 times and inflicted numerous other scratch wounds; Green later died as a result. Taylor was indicted for capital murder for intentionally or knowingly causing the death of an individual while serving a sentence of life imprisonment for aggravated robbery. Following a jury trial, Taylor was convicted and sentenced to death. David Richbourg, a second prisoner who was convicted of the attack on Green received a 48-year sentence. Evidence showed that Richbourg used a sharpened piece of plastic glass to stab Green and then brandished his weapon to keep other inmates at bay while Taylor was making his attack. Medical evidence showed that Taylor’s weapon was responsible for the fatal wounds.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
June 16, 2011 Alabama Mattie Wesson, 70 Eddie Powell, III executed

In the early morning hours before sunrise on March 25, 1995, the victim, 70-year-old Mattie Wesson, was brutally attacked, raped, sodomized and shot to death. Mattie was an elderly widow and was attacked in her home in Holt, Alabama, as she apparently attempted to escape her attacker. After the shooting and assault took place in the bedroom of her home, Mattie was able to walk across the street to the front yard of her neighbor, Cora Jennings, before she collapsed. Ruth Kizziah, a neighbor, ran to Mattie’s aid and Mattie told her than a black man had raped and shot her. Shortly after making this statement, Mattie Wesson died. Eddie Duvall Powell III and a friend, Bobby Johnson, lived in the home of Cora Jennings across the street from Mattie Wesson. Jennings was the mother of Bobby Johnson. Powell and Johnson both worked at O’Charley’s restaurant. Powell borrowed Johnson’s leather jacket and left the Johnson home in the early hours of March 25, 1995. The evidence plainly showed that Powell had been at Mattie Wesson’s home, contrary to Powell’s statement. Powell’s semen was found in the victim’s mouth, rectum, and vagina. Mattie Wesson’s blood was found on Powell’s pants and on Bobby Johnson’s leather jacket, which was worn by Powell on this date. Powell’s handprint was found on the window on the front of the victim’s home, where a screen had been cut. A matchbook from O’Charley’s restaurant was found in the unfinished basement under Mattie Wesson’s home immediately after the murder. The matchbook appeared to have been there only a short time since it had no dust on it, unlike most other things in the basement. Mattie was shot about 5:25 am on March 25, 1995, and Powell was first seen on videotape at the Shell Oil Station in Alberta City about an hour later at 6:27 am. This station was a walking distance of about forty-two minutes from the victim’s home, considering a stop Powell made along the way that was in evidence. The Shell Oil Station employee testified that Powell paid for wine mostly in nickels and had a lot of change in small coins. This was significant because Mattie kept a container of small change in her purse for use in nickel and dime card games. The container of small change was missing, and Mattie’s handgun was missing also. Powell appeared at the Shell Oil Station wearing a leather jacket with a wet stain on it. Mattie’s blood was on the leather jacket worn by Powell on March 25, 1995. Powell wore this bloodstained jacket, which belonged to Bobby Johnson, to the residence of his friend, Jason Long, on the morning Mattie Wesson was killed. Testimony showed that the contents of the leather jacket pockets included an O’Charley’s matchbook, small change, and jewelry similar to jewelry owned by Mattie Wesson. None of these items belonged to Bobby Johnson, who owned the jacket and stated that no bloodstain was on the jacket when Powell took it. The evidence showed that Powell had a handgun after he arrived at the residence of Jason Long, which was about daybreak or between 6:30 and 7:00 am on March 25, 1995. Powell asked Jason Long, who lived near the Shell Oil Station, to get rid of the handgun. Jason Long complied with this request, and the handgun was never found. On the morning of March 25, 1995, Powell had fresh scratches on the back of his neck. Lawrence Bunkley, an acquaintance of Powell and a friend of Jason Long, testified that Powell told him on the day Mattie Wesson was killed something to the effect that he did the bitch, she ran up on him and he shot her." Powell had previously been arrested numerous times for robbery, burglary and assault.

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
June 16, 2011 Virginia Kathryn Harvey, 39
Bryan Harvey, 49
Stella Harvey, 9
Ruby Harvey, 4
Mary Tucker
Purcell Tucker
Ashley Tucker
Ricky Gray stayed
On the morning of January 1, 2006, Kathryn and Bryan Harvey and their two daughters, Stella and Ruby, were killed in the Harveys’ home in the City of Richmond. Firefighters, responding to a call that the Harveys’ home was burning, discovered the bodies of Kathryn and Ruby in the basement as they attempted to fight the fire. The house was filled with "black smoke" and the basement was burning and had "zero visibility and a lot of heat." Soon after the firefighters removed the bodies of Kathryn and Ruby from the basement, they determined that the bodies showed evidence of "battle signs" and that the victims’ legs had been bound. At that point the firefighters stopped their rescue efforts and summoned the police. Detective Dwyer of the Richmond Police Department then discovered Stella in the basement under a futon "with her hands behind her back, tape around her mouth." Bryan was discovered on the floor of the basement with orange electrical cord wrapped around his wrists and feet, with "melted tape around his face [and a] large wound to his neck area." Detective Dwyer also found two claw hammers, two broken wine bottles, a knife handle and a separate knife blade in the basement. Those items, as well as several photographs of the scene, were admitted into evidence at trial. An autopsy revealed that Bryan had been cut eight times in his neck and underneath his chin, and those wounds, although "very painful," were not immediately fatal. His mouth had been gagged and taped. Six lacerations were made to the left side and back of Bryan’s skull, each caused by blows from a hammer. He experienced severe third degree burns to his skin. Bryan died from the wounds to his skull. Kathryn had been cut three times in her neck and chest, once in her back, and those wounds caused bleeding and pain but were not fatal. Multiple lacerations were made to Kathryn’s skull as a result of blows from a hammer. The hammer blows caused a fracture to the plate above Kathryn’s eyes, resulting in bleeding behind her eyes. Kathryn died from the blunt force injuries to her head. Ruby’s throat had been sliced through to her trachea, a wound that was not fatal but obstructed her breathing. Her head was also fractured and cut, causing brain tissue to exude from her skull. She had also been stabbed in the back with enough force that the knife had passed through her ribs and into her lungs. Ruby died from the blunt force injuries to her head and the stab injury to her lungs. Stella’s neck had been cut six times, with the stab wounds having penetrated her trachea and esophagus. Stella’s head was also bludgeoned by a hammer, causing brain tissue to exude from her skull. She died from a combination of smoke inhalation, carbon monoxide poisoning and blunt force injury to her head. Forensic evidence showed that the knife blade recovered from the Harveys’ home had traces of blood from Kathryn, Stella, Ruby and Bryan. Bryan and Stella’s DNA was discovered on the shaft of one of the recovered hammers. Kathryn’s DNA was identified on the handle of the other hammer. Evidence at trial established that Gray, Ray Dandridge and Ashley Baskerville were driving the streets of Richmond in Gray’s van during the mid-morning of January 1, 2006 "looking for a house to rob." Gray and Dandridge "spotted a door open" at the Harveys’ home, entered the house, and forced Kathryn, Bryan and Ruby into the basement. Stella was not home when Gray and Dandridge entered. In the basement, Gray assured the three family members that he and Dandridge would leave after they took what they wanted from the home. Gray then used electrical cords to tie Bryan’s wrists behind his back and bind his ankles together. Before Gray and Dandridge could plunder the house, they heard a noise upstairs on the home’s main level. Kiersten Perkinson, a family friend, had arrived at the Harveys’ home to deliver the Harveys’ daughter, Stella, along with Perkinson’s own daughter, Grace Lynn, from a slumber party the previous evening. Hearing the commotion, Kathryn explained to Gray that her daughter had returned from a slumber party, so Gray permitted Kathryn to go upstairs to bring her daughter downstairs to the basement. Perkinson heard Kathryn "running up the stairs" from the basement, and upon reaching the top of the basement stairs, she appeared "pale and ashen." Stella ran past her mother and down the stairs into the basement, but Kathryn blocked Grace Lynn’s path so she could not follow Stella downstairs. Kathryn told Perkinson that she did not feel well, so Perkinson and Grace Lynn left the house. Downstairs, Gray bound the hands and feet of all the Harveys and placed clear packing tape over their mouths, but he assured them that everything would be okay. Gray and Dandridge then began collecting the items from the home they intended to steal. Kathryn attempted to comfort her distraught daughters, and she told Gray that he should take what he wanted and just leave. Suddenly, Gray took a razor knife and cut Kathryn’s throat and then cut the throats of the young girls and Bryan. When Gray saw that his victims were still moving, he took a nearby claw hammer and began repeatedly beating each of the Harveys in the head. When they stopped moving, Gray poured two bottles of wine on an easel in the basement and lit a match, starting the fire. Gray and Dandridge then left the burning home with the items they had stolen. John Hott, a family friend of the Harveys, arrived at the Harveys’ home for a New Year’s Day party at about 1:45 p.m. and noticed smoke coming from the house. He immediately ran to a neighbor’s home and called "911". Less than a week later, Richmond police received a tip that Gray was a suspect in the murders, and a member of the Richmond Police Department contacted the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Police Department requesting they investigate a location where Gray may be staying and to be on the lookout for a particular vehicle believed related to the Harvey murders. In the early morning hours of January 7, 2006, Philadelphia police obtained a search warrant, and a SWAT team entered the location where Gray was suspected to be staying and found him in the basement. Gray was arrested and advised of his Miranda rights. After learning that Dandridge was also being questioned, he asked the Philadelphia police: "Can I tell you my side of the story?" As part of a signed confession, Gray described in detail how he and Dandridge entered the Harveys’ home and attacked the Harveys, in which he stated: It was a real nasty scene. How am I supposed to explain something like what happened? I started cutting their throats and they kept getting up and they were scaring me. I remember seeing the hammer and picking it up, and then… I was just hitting them all with the hammer. All I know is nobody was moving when I left out there. Gray admitted that Dandridge spent most of this time searching the home for items to steal, and that only Gray used the hammers to attack the Harveys. Gray stipulated at trial that Bryan’s wedding ring, as well as a cookie plate and a basket from the Harveys’ home, were discovered in a location Gray provided to police, who also recovered from Gray a computer stolen from the Harveys’ home. Gray also stipulated that the boots found at the residence in Philadelphia belonged to him. Bryan and Stella’s blood stains were discovered on Gray’s boots. The Commonwealth also introduced photographs of the dead bodies as exhibits during the trial, and the jury was permitted to view these exhibits. At the time of the murders, Gray was twenty-eight years old. Ruby was four years old at the time of her death, and Stella was nine years old at the time of her death. The jurors returned a verdict of guilty as to all five capital murder counts as charged in the indictments. In the sentencing phase, the Commonwealth introduced evidence of Gray’s criminal record, including convictions for robbery in 1996, distribution of crack cocaine in 2000, and possession of cocaine in 2002. Extensive evidence was also presented to show a history of violent acts perpetrated by Gray. Lieutenant Daniel Stanek of the City of Washington, Pennsylvania, Police Department testified about the discovery of the dead body of Gray’s wife, Treva, on November 5, 2005. Gray was questioned at the time but was not arrested for her murder. After his arrest for the murders of the Harveys in January 2006, Gray also confessed to killing his wife with the help of Dandridge by bludgeoning her to death with a lead pipe. Detective William Brerton of the Richmond Police Department described how, also on January 1, 2006, he learned of another set of murders committed in Richmond. Executing a search warrant, police discovered the dead bodies of Percyell Tucker, his wife, Mary, and Mary’s daughter, Ashley Baskerville, all in their home. Dr. Darin Trelka, a medical examiner, testified that the autopsy revealed Percyell’s head had been "covered with Saran Wrap," with a sock stuffed into his mouth and duct-taped shut. Percyell probably struggled for several minutes before he died from suffocation. Mary’s mouth had been gagged, with duct tape over her eyes. Her neck and chest had been cut four times. Mary struggled several minutes before she died from suffocation. Ashley was found with a plastic shopping bag over her head and taped to her neck with duct tape. Her face was wrapped in duct tape and a sock stuffed into her mouth. Ashley also struggled for several minutes before she died from suffocation. Gray’s vehicle was discovered three blocks from the Tucker’s home, and the Tucker’s stolen vehicle was located in Philadelphia where Gray was arrested. Gray confessed to murdering the Tucker family. Police also learned that Gray assaulted a man in Arlington, Virginia on New Year’s Eve, 2005. At the sentencing phase of Gray’s trial, Ryan Carey testified that as he arrived at his parent’s home after work on December 31, he was attacked by two men. He was forced to the ground and stabbed multiple times. Carey escaped the assault and rushed to his father’s home covered in blood. Carey’s father contacted emergency personnel, who took Carey to a hospital where his condition was stabilized. After two months of hospitalization, Carey was able to return home, although he lost the use of his right arm. Gray confessed to assaulting Carey with Dandridge’s assistance and stipulated that Carey’s blood was found on Gray’s boots. Also testifying at the penalty phase of the trial were Mark Harvey, Bryan’s older brother, and Steven Culp, Kathryn’s older brother. Each described a loving relationship with their sibling and the devastating grief and emotional impact of the murders upon the extended families. Gray offered evidence in mitigation including his mother’s testimony describing his childhood and home life. Gray’s mother, Barbara Moten, described how she established a connection between Gray and his natural father, Ellsworth, when Gray was a baby. Moten later married Ellsworth and moved with him to Maryland, along with their two children and two of Ellsworth’s children from another relationship. In school, Gray struggled to learn to read, was hyper and disruptive in the classroom, and he received spankings with a "horse strap" from Ellsworth when the school reported Gray was disruptive in class. Moten also told of how Gray "wet himself" most nights until he was thirteen years old, resulting in beatings from Ellsworth. Moten also described instances of sexual abuse of two of the children by a friend of Ellsworth, although she maintained that Gray was not a victim of these encounters. Gray was routinely blamed by his siblings for things that happened in the house, resulting in beatings from Ellsworth. Moten told of how she joined the Army and worked in Arlington, Virginia as a chaplain’s assistant. The Army transferred Moten for a year to the State of Washington, but Gray remained in Maryland with his father and stepbrother. During that time, Ellsworth became a cocaine addict. Upon her return from Washington, Moten also learned that Ellsworth’s son, Fitzgerald, had been sexually abusing Gray, although Gray had refused to talk about the abuse with his mother. Later, Ellsworth was arrested and jailed on drug charges. Moten then moved the family to Pennsylvania for a new start. Gray left the home when he was seventeen years old. Gray’s sister, Ava, also testified about repeated instances of sexual abuse upon her and Gray by Fitzgerald. She also described Gray being victimized by Fitzgerald when he was only four years old, and that such experiences were "a regular thing" over the course of seven years. She also testified that Gray started to use drugs when he was thirteen years old and was a user of marijuana, cocaine and PCP. Also presented as mitigation evidence was the videotaped deposition of Dr. David Lisak, a psychologist and expert on the impact of child abuse and the relationship between earlier trauma and the perpetration of violence. Dr. Lisak offered his opinion on the general effects of early childhood abuse. Gray also presented the opinion of Dr. Mark D. Cunningham, a clinical and forensic psychologist, who opined that Gray was "likely to make a positive adjustment to prison or an adjustment that is free of serious violence." Dr. Cunningham’s conclusions were based, in part, on the fact that Gray was nearly thirty years old and that "his likelihood of getting in trouble in prison is only about half as much as when he was 18 or 20 years old, and continues to fall steadily across the life span." Dr. Cunningham noted Gray’s history of incarceration and how Gray had avoided violent encounters in prison, how Gray had used his prison time to earn a GED, and how Gray had earned additional education, including courses on sheet metal, business and electrical work. Dr. Cunningham also concluded that "the seriousness of the offense does not predict violence in prison" and that "capital inmates who get sentenced to life or in the general prison population have low rates of violence." In response to Gray’s mitigation evidence, the Commonwealth produced the testimony of Officer James Jonas of the Philadelphia Police Department, who testified about the search and arrest of Gray on January 7, 2006. Officer Jonas explained that during the execution of the warrant to arrest Gray, he discovered Gray hiding in an unlit basement, crouched behind a water heater. Officer Jones described how Gray had smirked at him when asked to show his hands, and that Gray had refused to show one of his hands, which Officer Jones identified as a potentially threatening gesture. Officer Jones explained how in the attempt to secure Gray, Gray punched him and resisted arrest. Gray also assaulted Officer Jones’ partner and attempted to grab the officer’s gun. After multiple punches were exchanged, the officers were eventually able to secure and handcuff Gray. UDPATE: In September of 2010, a footbridge in a local park was dedicated to the memory of the Harvey family.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
June 21, 2011 Texas Travis Brown
Daniel Hibbard
Milton Mathis executed
On December 15, 1998, at approximately 8:00 or 8:30 a.m., Esmerelda Lester and her 15-year old daughter Melanie Almaguer went to Chris Lentsch’s home. Lentsch rented rooms to Travis Brown and Daniel Hibbard. Brown and Milton Wuzael Mathis were in Brown’s room. While Lester, Almaguer and Hibbard sat in Lentsch’s room, Lentsch went into the kitchen. Shortly thereafter, Lentsch heard gunshots from Brown’s room and turned to see Mathis exiting the room with a gun in his hand. Mathis claimed that Brown had just shot himself. Lentsch told Mathis to put the gun down, but Mathis ordered Lentsch and the other three back into Lentsch’s room where he calmly walked up to Almaguer and shot her in the head, leaving her alive, but permanently paralyzed from the neck down. The bullet passed through Melanie’s forehead and mouth and lodged in her shoulder, where it remains. Mathis then shot Hibbard in the head, causing his death. Mathis finally pointed the gun at Esmerelda Lester, whereupon he discovered that he was out of bullets. Mathis thereafter rummaged through the house, set fire to Brown’s room, threatened Esmerelda and Lentsch, and finally left in Brown’s car. The police identified Mathis as the killer and went to arrest him. Upon being arrested, Mathis became violent. Officers discovered that Mathis had told his father to lie for him and had persuaded his girlfriend to give him an alibi, which she maintained until confronted by the police. A fellow inmate testified that Mathis showed no remorse for the shootings and stated that he wished he had killed them all. Mathis took the stand and at first testified that although he had been to the house earlier, he was not there on the morning of the shootings. After defense counsel requested a recess, Mathis took the stand and stated that he had lied in his previous testimony. He then testified that he was at the house at the time of shootings, and admitted that he had shot all three people and taken Brown’s car. Mathis claimed he shot Brown in self-defense after Brown had threatened to shoot him. He claimed that he shot the others because he panicked after shooting Brown. During the punishment phase, the State put on evidence of Mathis’s prior criminal history, including an aggravated robbery, various assaults and thefts, and a charge for resisting arrest. The State presented additional evidence that Mathis had been repetitively belligerent and disruptive at school and that he had gotten into a fight with jailers while incarcerated.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
June 22, 2011 Arkansas Clyde Spence Frank Williams, Jr. stayed
In Bradley, Arkansas, Frank Williams, Jr. shot and killed Clyde Spence with a.25-caliber handgun shortly before midnight on October 7, 1992. Spence was a farmer who employed Williams on a prison work-release program and was extremely generous to him over the years. Spence had helped Williams get out of prison and into the work release program, gave him a job, and had allowed him to move into an old trailer on his farm. Earlier on the day of the shooting, Spence fired Williams for breaking a tractor. Williams went to trial on February 9, 1993. Williams was convicted of capital murder, and an Arkansas jury sentenced him to death on February 12, 1993.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
June 23, 2011 Georgia Sara Mims Bowen, 78 Roy Blankenship executed
In the early morning hours of March 2, 1978, Roy Blankenship left a bar at which he had been drinking and began to walk home. As he walked past the victim’s upstairs apartment, he decided that he wanted to break in. The victim, Sarah Mims Bowen, was a seventy-eight-year-old female for whom Blankenship had done repair work. He climbed up a railing to a porch of her apartment where he kicked out the lower pane of a window. After waiting and watching briefly, he entered the apartment. Sarah, who suffered from a respiratory illness, was sitting in a chair because she had trouble breathing when she slept. Blankenship came up behind Sarah and grabbed her by placing his hand over her mouth and nose to keep her from screaming. She struggled and fell from the chair, and he fell on top of her. Sarah became unconscious, and Blankenship picked her up and took her back to her bed, where he raped her. He then dressed and left Sarah Bowen’s apartment the same way that he entered it. Neighbors concerned about Sarah due to her poor health eventually discovered her body. She had been severely beaten, scratched, bitten and forcibly raped. Footprints left by an unusually patterned sole were found at the scene and led toward Blankenship’s house. His fingerprints were also found at the scene, and shoes identical to the type that made the prints were recovered from his possession. After he was arrested by police, Blankenship made a confession; however, he denied that he beat Sarah Bowen severely, and at trial he recanted part of his confession and stated that he was unable to consummate the rape. Forensic evidence established that Sarah Bowen died from heart failure brought on by the trauma. Scrapings taken from the fingernails of the victim established that her attacker had international type 0 blood, the same as Blankenship. At around 4:15 p.m. on March 2, 1978, officers from the Savannah Police Department responded to a call at 404 West 44th Street. They were directed to the second-floor apartment of Sarah Mims Bowen. Several members of Bowen’s family already had arrived, having been contacted by her downstairs neighbor. Inside the apartment, police found a blood-stained paper towel in the living room. In the bedroom, the body of 78-year-old Bowen lay dead and naked on her bed. She had bruises on her arms and hands, and her face was beaten and bloodied. A plastic bottle of hand lotion had been forced into her vagina. There were footprints found on the porch outside Bowen’s apartment. Police found similar prints inside the apartment. Outside the house, they traced the prints from the bannister supporting the porch southwest along the ground towards the street, in the general direction of the apartment of Roy Willard Blankenship. Dr. Rodrick Guerry performed an autopsy. He determined Bowen had been severely beaten, suffering repeated blows to her face. Bowen had preexisting chronic pericarditis and arterioscleorosis, and the autopsist attributed Bowen’s death to heart failure precipitated by a severe assault. The autopsy also revealed she had been vaginally raped. Semen was found in her vagina, which tests demonstrated came from a blood type-O individual. Both Blankenship and Bowen were type-O. In addition, Dr. Guerry stated the inside of Bowen’s mouth and throat were red and bloodied, injuries consistent with oral rape. However, tests did not reveal the presence of semen. Scrapings beneath the nails on Bowen’s right hand also tested positive for type-O. Based on the condition of the body, the coroner concluded Bowen had been raped while alive, was beaten, and suffered heart failure as a result. A fingerprint lifted from glass broken in from the balcony and found inside the apartment matched Blankenship. On March 11, an arrest warrant for Blankenship was prepared, as well as search warrants for his apartment. Inside the apartment, police found shoes belonging to Blankenship whose tracks matched those found in and around Bowen’s apartment. Police arrested Blankenship and he waived his right to remain silent. Blankenship spoke with police and described his presence in Bowen’s apartment in the early morning of March 2, 1978. His oral statement was transcribed, and he signed the transcription. In it, he confessed to the following: I went up on the iron rail on the side of the porch and climbed over the banister. I stood up there for a few minutes thinking, what the hell, I really didn’t know what to think. I had to be drunk. Stoned. And I kicked the window in and I waited. When I kicked the window in to see if anybody heard it, I could’ve got shot or something. I guess I should have. It would have been better. I went in through the window, I think. I scraped my arm on the window. I don’t think it cut it. I went into the next room, I saw no one. Just the bedroom. I looked around there and the door was opened into the next room. I went up to the door and started to go through when I saw a mirror straight ahead in the next room where the lady was. I seen her reflection through the mirror sitting in a chair so I stood beside the door for awhile watching her pray or something. Moaning. I don’t know. Then I grabbed her. I think her mouth so she did not scream. I covered her mouth and her nose and then she slid down in the chair. She fell on the floor and I fell on top of her. After I fell over on top of her I didn’t have to hold her mouth or anything. She was not screaming or kicking or anything. So this blood was coming out of her head, I think, on the right side. I think. I pushed this little stool back and I picked her up and I carried her and laid her on the bed. All right. I put her on the bed. She had some pajamas on, I think. I took them off. It’s crazy. When I put her on the bed and took her clothes off, I was drunk, I guess. I said I may as well go ahead and get some pleasure. That’s when I had the relationship with her. As far as I know, I thought I was in the right hole. After that I got up and was afraid that I might have hurt her. I thought I’d better get out of there. I left as soon as I did that shit. I left. I went the same way I came. I was wearing the same shoes that the police confiscated from my house today. I watched her about 10 minutes. After I grabbed her she fell to the floor and I put her on the bed. Right after that I shot off or got my pleasure or whatever you want to call it. I put back on my clothes and left. It probably was not long. I was in the house maybe 45 minutes or an hour all together. I don’t know why I did it. I was drunk. I know I had to be drunk. That time in the morning I had to be just coming back from the Oriental Lounge. I came by myself. I had been at the bar with Joe and Alex. They left the bar about 1:30 or 2:00. I know I stayed until closing, 3:00. I walked from the bar to the house. The Oriental Lounge on Abercorn Street. I shoot pool all the time. It takes me about five to seven minutes to get to my house walking. I never did make it home. I stopped at her house and went upstairs before I went home. I know the witnesses in the bar—waitresses, sorry. I know the waitresses in the bar. I don’t dance. I just shoot pool and get high and get drunk. I was drinking that night. I was drinking bourbon and coke. I don’t remember anything about the plastic bottle." Based on the confession and physical evidence, Blankenship was charged with burglary, rape, and felony murder.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
June 30, 2011 Arizona Jennifer WIlson, 9 Richard Bible executed
In late May 1987, Richard Lynn Bible was released from prison after serving a sentence imposed in 1981 for kidnapping and sexual assault. At all times relevant to this case, Bible lived in Flagstaff, Arizona. In April 1988, the Coconino County Sheriff seized a dark green and white GMC "Jimmy" (or "Blazer-type") vehicle in Sedona, Arizona. The GMC had been used to deliver newspapers. A deputy who drove it to Flagstaff noticed rubber bands in the GMC, as well as damage to the left rear quarter panel. Another officer noticed the damaged quarter panel and saw bags of rubber bands in the vehicle. The Sheriff stored the vehicle in a fenced impound lot near Flagstaff, close to Sheep Hill. On June 5, 1988, Bible stole the GMC from the impound lot. A police officer saw the vehicle parked in Flagstaff later that day. The next day, June 6, 1988, shortly after 10:30 a.m., nine year-old Jennifer Wilson, began bicycling from where her family was staying in Flagstaff to a ranch a mile away. Jennifer’s family passed her while driving to the ranch. When the child did not arrive at the ranch, her family began to search and found her bicycle by the side of the road. Unable to locate the girl, Jennifer’s mother called the police at 11:21 a.m. The Flagstaff police arrived within minutes; they called in a helicopter, set up roadblocks, and alerted the Federal Bureau of Investigation ("FBI"). Jennifer’s mother told the police that she saw two vehicles on her way to the ranch. One was a royal blue Blazer-type vehicle. While at the ranch, she saw this same vehicle going the opposite direction at a high rate of speed. She described the driver as a dark haired, dark-complected Caucasian male, mid-to-late twenties, possibly wearing a white T-shirt. He had looked at her intently. That same day, Bible’s brother was at his home near Sheep Hill. Bible arrived there shortly before 1:00 p.m., driving a dark green or dark silver, white-top Blazer-type vehicle with a dented left bumper — the vehicle Bible had stolen. Bible was wearing Levi pants, a plaid shirt, a camouflage baseball-type cap, and boots. He told his brother that the Blazer belonged to a friend. After Bible left, his brother — who thought that Bible had been stealing from him — called the police and described the vehicle. Shortly thereafter, a detective realized that Jennifer’s mother’s description of the Blazer-type vehicle and its driver approximated Bible and the GMC Jimmy. At about 5:00 pm, the GMC was discovered missing from the impound lot. At 6:20 pm, police officers saw Bible driving the GMC — although it had been painted a different color. The officers attempted to stop Bible, and a high-speed chase began. When finally cornered, Bible ran from the vehicle and hid. Using a tracking dog, officers found Bible hiding under a ledge, camouflaged with twigs, leaves, and branches. When arrested, Bible was wearing a "levi-type" jacket, jeans, a plaid shirt, boots, but no underwear. Bible also had wool gloves, and police found a baseball-type cap nearby. Police also found a large folding knife where Bible was hiding and another knife in one of his pockets. Within hours after his arrest, Bible confessed to stealing the GMC the previous day and painting the vehicle two hours before his arrest, but denied being in the area of the abduction. Bible had planned to drive the GMC to Phoenix, but a helicopter had him "pinned down." When Bible was booked, the police confiscated his clothing. Bible was incarcerated for the rest of the relevant time period. In the GMC, police found a green blanket and numerous rubber bands but no rubber band bags. The steering column had been cut open and one piece of metal had fallen to the floorboard. The GMC contained a case of twenty 50-milliliter bottles of "Suntory" vodka with two bottles missing. In the console was a wrapped cigar broken in two places, a "Dutchmaster" cigar wrapper and band were in the ashtray, and Carnation "Rich" hot chocolate packets were in the vehicle. Investigators found blood smeared inside and under the GMC, although testing did not reveal whether the blood was human. Following a large and unsuccessful police search, hikers accidentally found Jennifer’s body near Sheep Hill nearly three weeks after her disappearance. Police secured the area and later videotaped the scene and processed evidence. Jennifer’s naked body was hidden under a tree, mostly covered with branches, with her hands tied behind her back with a shoelace. Police found one of Jennifer’s sneakers, without a shoelace, near the body. Jennifer’s panties were in a tree nearby. An unwrapped, unsmoked cigar with two distinctive breaks in the middle was on the ground near the body. The cigars near the body and in the GMC looked very similar, had consistent breaks, and had identical seals. Microscopic analysis showed that the cigars had similar thresh cuts and tobacco mixtures. The cigars also had similar sieve test results and pH values. Although the nicotine values and ash content were slightly different, the cigars were from the same lot and were similar to, and consistent with, tobacco residue found in Bible’s shirt pockets. An empty ten-pack box of Carnation "Rich" hot chocolate — matching the packets in the GMC — was near the body. Also nearby were two empty 50-milliliter "Suntory" vodka bottles — one approximately fifty feet from the body. Testing, which revealed no fingerprints, washed away the lot numbers on these empty bottles. In all other respects, these bottles were identical to the full bottles found in the GMC. Rubber bands were everywhere: on a path near the body; over, on, and under the body; in the tree where the panties were hanging; near Jennifer’s other clothing; in the brush covering the body; in a tree above the body; and under a tree where one of Jennifer’s shoes was found. Visual observation as well as testing revealed that the rubber bands in the GMC were round rather than oblong and were identical to those found near the body. A rubber band bag containing a few rubber bands was found five feet from the body. A patch of blood-matted grass was near the body. Testing revealed that this blood was human and was phosphoglucomutase ("PGM") subtype 2+, the same subtype as Jennifer’s blood. Luminol spraying revealed a faint blood trail leading from the blood-matted grass to the body. Testing showed blood on the top of the branches covering the body. Near the body, police found a piece of metal that fit the GMC’s steering column. In Flagstaff, at the location where the GMC was seen parked the day before Jennifer disappeared, police found another piece of metal from the vehicle’s steering column. The three metal pieces (found inside the GMC, near the body, and where the GMC had been parked) fit together like jigsaw puzzle pieces. An investigator concluded that the three metal pieces were part of the GMC’s steering column. An autopsy revealed that portions of the body (including the head and genital area) were severely decomposed, consistent with having been on Sheep Hill for approximately three weeks. Multiple skull fractures and a broken jawbone indicated that blows to the head caused Jennifer’s death. The blood-matted grass near the body was consistent with the blows being inflicted there. Although the body was naked with the hands tied, suggesting sexual molestation, no sperm or semen was found. The physician performing the autopsy took pubic hair and muscle samples. Near the body were several clusters of golden brown hair approximately six to ten inches long. Although the hair found at the scene appeared to be lighter in color, it was microscopically similar to Jennifer’s hair and could have come from her. In one of the locks of hair, an examiner found a pubic-type hair. This pubic-type hair was similar to Bible’s pubic hair samples. Long brown hair found on Bible’s jacket, shirt, and in his wallet were similar to Jennifer’s hair and could have come from her. Investigators found hair similar to Bible’s on a sheet used to wrap the body, and hair found on Jennifer’s T-shirt was similar to Bible’s. Hair on a blanket in the GMC was similar to Jennifer’s, with a total of fifty-seven hairs in the GMC being similar to Jennifer’s hair. Some of the hair found near the body, as well as the hair on Bible’s shirt and in his wallet, was cut on one side and torn on the other. The investigator had never before seen such a cut/tear pattern but was able to duplicate the pattern by using the knives Bible possessed when arrested as well as other sharp knives. Twenty-one of the twenty-two hairs on Bible’s jacket had similar cut/tears. Fibers found at Sheep Hill were identical to the GMC’s seat covers, and similar to fibers from Bible’s jacket lining and the green blanket in the GMC. Fibers in the lock of hair containing the pubic-type hair were similar to fibers from Bible’s jacket. Fibers similar to those from the green blanket in the GMC were located in the branches covering the body. Microscopically, a green fiber on the sheet used to wrap the body was similar to fibers from the green blanket. A blue or purple fiber on the shoelace tying Jennifer’s hands was similar to the lining in Bible’s jacket. Investigators found blood on Bible’s shirt, pants, and boots. The spatter pattern on the shirt was consistent with beating force. Testing could not determine whether the blood on his boots was human but revealed that the blood on Bible’s shirt was human and PGM 2+ subtype, the same subtype as Jennifer’s blood. Less than three percent of the population has PGM 2+ subtype. Because Bible is PGM 1+ subtype, the blood could not have been his. Testing performed by Cellmark Diagnostic Laboratories, Inc., showed that the deoxyribonucleic acid ("DNA") in the blood on Bible’s shirt and Jennifer’s DNA were a "match." Cellmark concluded that the chances were one in fourteen billion or, more conservatively, one in sixty million that the blood on Bible’s shirt was not Jennifer’s. While still in jail for stealing the GMC, Bible was charged with first degree murder, kidnapping, and molestation of a child under the age of fifteen. In April 1990, a jury convicted Bible on all charges and Bible was sentenced to death on the murder conviction.

Page visited times since 11/8/10

Page last updated 12/06/12