April 2012 Executions

Five killers were executed in April 2012. They had murdered at least 10 people.
Three killers were given a stay in April 2012. They have murdered at least 3 people.
One killer was granted clemency in April 2012. He has murdered at least 1 person.

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
April 5, 2012 Utah Gordon Ray Church Michael Archuleta stayed
On November 21, 1988, Michael Anthony Archuleta was living in an apartment in Cedar City, Utah, with co-defendant Lance Conway Wood and their girl-friends, Paula Jones and Brenda Stapley. Archuleta, who was on parole at the time, had returned to Cedar City from Arizona, where he was living pursuant to his parole agreement. He left Arizona without permission from his parole officer in Utah County, precipitating issuance of a parole warrant for his arrest. While in Cedar City, Archuleta contacted his parole officer, who gave him permission to stay there for one week to look for a job. However, a parole officer from Cedar City discovered that Archuleta was living with Wood, also a parolee, and was therefore again in violation of parole guidelines. The two parole officers spoke, and the Cedar City officer decided to execute a "parole hold" for Archuleta. On November 22, 1988, Cedar City authorities went to the apartment where Archuleta was living, but failed to locate him. On the evening of November 21, Archuleta and Wood went to the 7-Eleven store in Cedar City, where they first met Gordon Church. The three men decided to "cruise" the town’s main street in Gordon’s car. While thus engaged, they met two young women whom they stopped and spoke with for a short time. The women both testified at Archuleta’s trial, placing Archuleta and Wood with Gordon before the murder. Later in the evening, the three men drove to a secluded area in nearby Cedar Canyon. Gordon informed Archuleta that he was a homosexual. After returning to Cedar City, Gordon left Wood and Archuleta at their apartment complex. Wood and Archuleta walked to the apartment of Anthony Sich, who lived above the apartment rented to Stapely and Jones. Wood told Sich that he was going into the mountains and asked if he could borrow a pair of gloves. Sich sent Wood to retrieve the gloves from his car, and while Wood was outside, Gordon returned and invited him and Archuleta to go for another drive. Church drove Wood and Archuleta back to Cedar Canyon and pulled off the road. Wood and Archuleta exited the car first and began to walk down a path. Archuleta told Wood that he wanted to rob Gordon, and Wood acquiesced. Gordon caught up with the two men, and the three continued walking up the trail. As the men started back down the trail toward the car, Archuleta grabbed Gordon and put a knife to his neck. Archuleta made a surface cut on Gordon’s neck. Gprdpm broke free and ran, but Archuleta chased after and tackled him, again putting the knife to his neck and threatening to kill him. Archuleta cut Gordon’s throat again so that the two cuts formed an "X" on the front of Church’s neck. Archuleta bent Church forward over the hood of the car and, with the knife still at Gordon’s throat, had anal intercourse with him. At Gordon’s request, Archuleta placed a condom on his penis and began to have anal sex with Gordon. Archuleta then turned to Wood, who was standing by the trunk of the car, and asked if he "wanted any." Wood declined. Archuleta then changed his mind and stopped. Shortly thereafter, Wood began to attack Gordon. He chased Gordon and tackled him to the ground, breaking his arm in the process. Archuleta and Wood bound Gordon Church with tire chains and a bungee cord. They placed him in the trunk of the car, drove through Cedar City, and headed north on Interstate 15 toward Salt Lake City. After driving approximately 76 miles with Gordon in the trunk of the car, Archuleta and Wood pulled off the highway in a secluded area known as "Dog Valley." After removing Gordon from the trunk, they attached battery cables to Gordon’s testicles and to the car battery. They beat Gordon severely on the head with a tire jack and tire iron. Then they inserted the tire iron into Gordon’s rectum, forcing it eighteen inches into his body and puncturing his liver. At trial, the medical examiner testified that Gordon’s face was completely distorted due to multiple blows to the jaw, cheek, and eye areas with a blunt instrument. The entire left side of his head was concave, and at least eight large lacerations were apparent on his skull. Skull fractures were beneath the lacerations. Gordon also had multiple bruises and lacerations on his body, including puncture wounds in his back consistent with being poked with pliers. According to the medical examiner, the cause of death was severe injury to the brain due to multiple blows to the head. A contributing cause of death was the penetrating injury to the liver and abdomen caused by insertion of the tire iron into his rectum. Gordon was found naked from the waist down, with a gag around his mouth and the tire chains wrapped tightly around his neck. When Gordon was apparently dead, Archuleta and Wood dragged his body up a hillside and attempted to cover the body with tree branches and dirt. The two men drove Gordon’s car to Salt Lake City in the early morning hours of November 22 and abandoned it there. While in Salt Lake City, they visited several people. Archuleta had a good deal of blood on his pants, and he and Wood told the people they met that they had been hunting and skinning rabbits. The two men hitchhiked back to Cedar City that same day. Wood immediately went upstairs to Sich’s apartment and told him about the murder. When Sich advised him to contact the police, Wood responded, "Maybe I could get some kind of federal protection." Sich and Wood walked to a local convenience store, where Wood called Brenda Stapely, who was in Phoenix, and told her that Archuleta had killed someone. Stapely contacted John Graff, Wood’s parole officer, and told him to call Wood at the store. Graff called Wood and arranged to meet him at the convenience store. Just before Graff’s arrival with the police, Wood discarded Gordon Church’s wallet. Wood and Sich accompanied Graff and a police officer to the corrections department office, where Wood recounted the events of the previous night. The police arrested Archuleta for the murder and, after several interviews with Wood, also charged Wood with murder in the first degree, aggravated sexual assault, object rape, forcible sexual abuse, aggravated kidnapping, aggravated assault, and possession of a stolen vehicle. Wood was tried by a jury for first degree murder, aggravated sexual assault, and aggravated kidnapping. The jury found him guilty on all three counts. Because the jury could not reach a unanimous verdict as to the death penalty, the court imposed a life sentence for first degree murder and two consecutive mandatory minimum sentences of ten years to life for aggravated sexual assault and aggravated kidnapping. At Archuleta’s trial, the jury found that the following aggravated circumstances existed to support a verdict of guilty of first degree murder: (1) kidnapping; (2) aggravated kidnapping; (3) object rape; and (4) "the homicide was committed in an especially heinous, atrocious, cruel, or exceptionally depraved manner, any of which must be demonstrated by physical torture, serious physical abuse, or serious bodily injury of the victim before death." There are still appeals pending in this case and the execution is not expected to take place on this date.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
April 12, 2012 Alabama Vickie Deblieux, 37 Carey Grayson stayed
On the night of February 21, 1994, Vickie Deblieux, age 37, was dropped off by a friend on 1-59 near Chattanooga, Tennessee, to hitchhike to her mother’s home in Louisiana. Four teenagers, Carey Dale Grayson, Kenny Loggins, Trace Duncan, and Louis Mangione, all who had been drinking alcohol and using drugs, saw Vickie hitchhiking on 1-59 at the Trussville exit in Jefferson County, Alabama. They offered to take her to Louisiana; instead they took her to a wooded area, on the pretense of picking up another vehicle. After arriving in this area, they all got out of the vehicle, and began to drink. Grayson, along with the others threw bottles at Vickie, who began to run from them. They tackled her to the ground and began to kick her repeatedly all over her body. When they noticed that she was still alive, one of them stood on her throat, supported by Grayson, until she gurgled blood and said `Okay, I’ll party,’ then died. They then put her body in the back of a pickup truck and took her and her luggage to Bald Rock Mountain, after removing her clothing and a ring, and they played with her body and then threw her off a cliff. They then went to a car wash in Pell City to wash the blood out of the truck. After rummaging through her luggage, they hid the luggage in the woods. On their return to Birmingham, they took Mangione home and then returned to Bald Rock Mountain, where they began to mutilate the body by stabbing and cutting her 180 times, removing part of a lung, and removing her fingers and thumbs. The next morning Grayson’s girlfriend found the three of them in Birmingham asleep in the truck all covered in mud and blood. Grayson told her they got blood on them from a dog. On February 26, 1994, three rock climbers found Vickie Deblieux’s body and called the police. Her body was taken to the medical examiner’s office. The medical examiner found the following injuries; almost every bone in her skull was fractured, every bone in her face was fractured at least once, lacerations on the face over these fractures, a missing tooth, left eye was collapsed, right eye was hemorrhaged, tongue discolored, 180 stab wounds that were inflicted after her death, two large incisions in her chest, her left lung had been removed and all her fingers and both thumbs were cut off. The medical examiner opined that the cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head and that she was alive during the beating. All defendants were later arrested after Mangione began showing one of Vickie’s fingers to friends. Although the investigation originally involved suspects in Chattanooga because the victim was from that area, the investigation eventually led the police to the Jefferson County jail, where Grayson was incarcerated. He was interviewed by the police at the jail where he agreed to give a statement, indicating that "they were not hanging this case on him and he wanted to tell his side of the story." Grayson then gave the following statement which was admitted at trial: "Kenny, T.R., Louis and myself were all drinking very heavily when T.R. and Louis suggested that we get into a fight. We left and went riding around and found a hitchhiker at 1-59 exit in Trussville, Alabama. We picked her up and took her to the pipeline…. Medical Center East. We were all talking when she made a remark about killing us all when I threw a beer bottle at her, then Kenny hit her with his bottle, Louis hit her with his and T.R. with his. After that she began to run when Kenny got her in the back of the head with another bottle, causing her to fall. We all ran over and began to kick her and hit her. When she stopped moving, Kenny saw she was still alive and stood on her throat until she died. Then we took her to Pell City and left the body. We then went to the car wash and washed out the bed of Kenny’s truck and we took Louis home. When we got back to my car, T.R. and Kenny asked me to show them the way to the body and I did. When we got there, T.R. and Kenny began to mutilate the body by cutting off the fingers and cutting open the stomach. T.R. had found a bottle and shoved it into the [vagina] while Kenny took out her eyes. After this we dumped the body and left for T.R.’s house. Kenny and I returned to my car and we went… to Hardee’s in Chalkville and all three of us fell asleep in the truck, where Kenny’s girlfriend woke us up later that morning." Upon further questioning by the authorities, Grayson made other statements concerning the details of the offense. Grayson stated that while T.R. was standing on the victim’s throat, he placed his hands on Grayson for balance. He further indicated that, when they dumped Vickie Deblieux’s clothes over the cliff, T.R. took some of the clothing and Kenny took a ring from the victim. Grayson indicated that he took nothing from her. Grayson then asked why he and his accomplices had killed Vickie; Grayson responded that he did not know why they had killed her, "but it was not his problem." The officer who took Grayson’s statement noted that he was very cooperative and that his attitude was "almost one of humor. He had a smile during the entire time we were speaking with him." There are still appeals pending in this case and the execution is not expected to take place on this date.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
April 12, 2012 Oklahoma Gail Titsworth Garry Allen stayed
Garry Thomas Allen shot and killed his girlfriend, Lawanna Gail Titsworth on November 21, 1986, three days after she moved out with their sons, six-year-old Anthony and two-year-old Adrian. Angry confrontations punctuated those three days, as Allen tried repeatedly to persuade Gail to come back to him. Their last argument occurred when Gail came to pick up their sons at Beulah’s Day Care Center in Oklahoma City. Allen confronted Gail inside the center, and the two moved to an empty room to argue. Allen left just ahead of Gail and the boys. When Gail opened the door of her truck, Allen came up behind her and shut it. She opened it again; again he shut it. This argument ended when Allen reached into his sock, pulled out a.38 caliber snub-nosed revolver, and shot Gail Titsworth twice in the chest. After she was shot, Gail began begging Allen not to shoot her again and then fell to the ground. Allen asked Gail if she was alright. He then lifted up her blouse, apparently attempting to figure out the extent of her injuries. She fell, and he looked under her blouse before walking away. At the time of the shooting, some of the daycare employees were in the parking lot and several of the children were in a van parked a few feet from Gail’s truck. A day care employee ran to Gail to help her into the day care center. Just as she and Gail Titsworth reached the front door, Allen shoved the other woman inside and pushed Gail down on the outside steps. Allen then shot her two more times in the back at close range and walked away. He was captured in an alley less than a block away by the police officer who responded to the 911 call. Officer Mike Taylor of the Oklahoma City Police Department was on patrol in the area and responded to the 911 call within minutes of the shooting. As Officer Taylor was nearing the daycare center, a witness to the shooting directed him to an alley where Allen was apparently hiding. Officer Taylor spotted Allen as he drove into the alley. Officer Taylor drew his service revolver and ordered Allen to stop and remain still. Allen initially complied with Officer Taylor’s order but then began walking away. Officer Taylor followed Allen and reached out to place his hand on him. Allen quickly turned around and grabbed Officer Taylor’s gun. A struggle ensued, during which Allen obtained partial control of Officer Taylor’s gun. Allen attempted to make Officer Taylor shoot himself by applying pressure to Taylor’s finger which was still on the trigger. Ultimately, Officer Taylor regained control of the gun and shot Allen in the face. Allen was rushed to the hospital where a CT scan revealed an air pocket in the front part of his brain and cerebral spinal fluid leaking from his nose and ear. Allen remained in the hospital approximately two months for treatment for injuries to his face, left eye, and brain. As a result of the gunshot wound, Allen lost his left eye and suffered permanent brain damage. UPDATE: For the third time in three consecutive months, Allen’s execution was stayed, this time by a federal judge in order to allow his lawyers to argue that he is incompetent.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
April 12, 2012 Florida Hisang Huang Ling, 48
Ying Hua Ling, 17
Judith Kaye Daley, 35
Angelica Lavallee, 14
Barbara Ann Byer, 14
Lynn Carol Elliott, 17
David Gore executed
Lynn Elliott, murder victimCousins David Allan Gore and Fred Waterfield began abducting and raping women in the 70s. Soon they graduated to murdering their victims. In February 1981, Gore flashed a badge he had from his job as an auxiliary sheriff’s deputy and tricked 17-year-old Ying Hua Ling into getting into his car. After driving her to her home, Gore pretended to arrest her mother, Hisang Huang Ling, 48, and handcuffed her to her daughter. He phone Waterfield and then drove the women to a citrus orchard. Gore raped both of them while waiting for his cousin, and when Waterfield arrived, he tied up Hisang in such a way that when she struggled, her bindings choked her to death. Waterfield raped and murdered Ying Hua Ling and told Gore to get rid of the bodies in another orchard nearby. Five months later, on July 15, 1981, Gore abducted Judith Kaye Daley after disabling her vehicle and pretending to be a Good Samaritan. She accepted a ride to a telephone, but once inside, Gore pulled a gun on Judy and handcuffed her before calling Waterfield. They again met at the orchard where they raped and murdered Judy Daley. Gore said he fed the body to the alligators in a nearby swamp. Gore spent a short time in prison after being convicted of armed trespass when police found him crouched in the back seat of a woman’s car with a pistol, handcuffs and a police scanner. Two months after being paroled, the cousins picked up two hitchhikers, Angelica Lavallee and Barbara Buer. The first were raped and then shot to death. Barbara’s body was dismembered and buried in a shallow grave and Angelica was dumped in a canal. On May 20, 1983, Gore kidnapped and murdered Angelica Lavallee and Barbara Byer. On July 26, 1983, Gore and his cousin Freddy Waterfield picked up teenagers Lynn Elliott and Regan Martin, who were hitchhiking to the beach. Soon after, Gore took a gun out of the glove compartment and handcuffed the two girls while Waterfield drove to Gore’s parents’ house. Once there, Gore bound each of the girls and placed them in separate bedrooms. Regan Martin testified that Gore cut off her clothes and forced her to perform oral sex on him while he threatened to kill her, and that Gore kept going back and forth between the two rooms. Regan heard Gore tell Lynn that he would kill her if she did not shut up. At one point when Gore was out of the room, Regan heard gunshots from outside. Michael Rock, a teenager riding his bike by Gore’s house on the day in question, testified that he saw Gore and a naked woman (Lynn Elliott) running up the driveway toward the road. Rock watched as the also naked Gore caught up with Lynn and dragged her back toward the house. He then saw Gore throw the girl down and shoot her. When Gore returned he placed Regan in a closet and then tied her to the rafters in the attic and threatened to kill her if she tried anything. Michael Rock sped home told his mother, who called 911 and police arrived in time to save Regan from a similar fate. Soon after, police arrived and found blood dripping from the trunk of the car. The house was surrounded and Gore surrendered to the police and directed them to Regan in the attic. Lynn’s nude body was found in the trunk of Gore’s car. Lynn Elliott had been shot twice, once in the back of the head and once in the jaw. After Lynn’s autopsy, her father Carl Elliott insisted on seeing his daughter’s body. Carl told the police that he wanted "to see every mark on her, where he drug her in the driveway and all the skinned-up parts on her knees and elbows, and every damn bullet hole. I want to see every scrape and every bruise. I want to remember in case I ever get soft on this thing. ‘I want to remember, by God, that’s what this bastard did to my daughter.’ It was awful, but I have never regretted doing it.’" Almost three decades later, Carl is now 81 years old and says that the signing of the death warrant by Governor Rick Scott was a huge relief, "like a big burden that slid off the shoulders." Lynn planned to become a hairdresser after she graduated from high school. Through interviews with Gore and Waterfield, police discovered that five other women had been killed since February 1981. Gore was sentenced to five consecutive life terms for the other murders. Waterfield, for his involvement in the murder of Lynn Elliott, was sentenced to fifteen years imprisonment on one count of manslaughter. Waterfield is also serving two consecutive life sentences for the murders of Barbara Ann Byer and Angelica LaVallee.

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
April 18, 2012 Ohio Mark Klima, 15 Mark Wiles executed
In 1985, Mark Wayne Wiles burglarized the Klima family home and killed Mark Klima. In 1982, Wiles went to work as a part-time laborer for Charles and Carol Klima on their horse farm in Rootstown, where they lived with their son Mark. One day in early 1983, the family learned that $200 in cash was missing and the home had been ransacked. That same day, Wiles had reported for work and was the only other person on the farm that day, but he could not be found after the Klimas learned of the missing cash, and he did not return to collect his paycheck or for that matter return to work any longer on the farm. In the spring of that year, Wiles began serving a 4-to-25 year sentence in an Ohio prison for an unrelated burglary he had committed the previous year. On August 7, 1985, after serving eighteen months of this sentence, Wiles returned to the Klima farm, entered the unlocked house while the family was gone and began to search the house for valuables. While he was still in the house, 15-year-old Mark Klima returned and confronted him. Wiles stabbed the boy 24 times with a 12-inch kitchen knife, stole approximately $260 and fled. Carol Klima returned home to find her unconscious son lying on the floor with a knife buried in his back. Later that day, Mark Klima died in a hospital emergency room. Wiles initially fled from the authorities. Five days after the murder, however, he turned himself in to the police in Savannah, Georgia, telling them that he was wanted for murder in Ohio. After being informed of his rights, he told the police what he had done and signed a confession admitting that he had killed Mark. A state grand jury indicted Wiles for aggravated murder and two counts of aggravated burglary—one for the 1985 home invasion, one for the 1983 $200 theft. He waived his right to a jury, and a three-judge panel heard his case. After the guilt phase of the proceedings, the court determined that there was insufficient evidence that he had committed the 1983 burglary but convicted him on the aggravated-murder and the other aggravated-burglary count. After a mitigation hearing, the court determined that neither Wiles’ youth (he was 22-years old at the time of the murder) nor his confession outweighed the aggravating circumstances of his crime. The court imposed a death sentence, and the Ohio Court of Appeals and the Ohio Supreme Court affirmed his conviction and sentence. Mark Klima was a straight A student who was about to enter his sophomore year of high school. UPDATE: The Ohio Parole Board has unanimously rejected a clemency request from Mark Wiles. In a statement, members of te board wrote, “While Wiles does express remorse and admits to committing the offense, that remorse and acceptance of responsibility does not mitigate nor outweigh the brutal attack on a defenseless young man who was beaten and stabbed repeatedly in his own home. Wiles’ remorse, acceptance of responsibility and good institutional conduct do not equate to a substantial enough reason to recommend clemency.” Wiles was uncooperative during an interview with the state parole board earlier this month, telling members that he didn’t deserve clemency and refusing to answer questions. According to documents, “Wiles was noticeably nervous, emotional and seemed overwhelmed by the process. Wiles left the interview room. The board remained several minutes to see if he would change his mind, but prison staff informed the board that Wiles had chosen to leave the building.” Wiles’s attorneys had a taped apology from Wiles sent to the family of the murder victim — a move parole board members criticized as insensitive. Mark Klima’s parents turned the recording over to prosecutors without watching it.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
April 19, 2012 Georgia Allen Bernard Walker, 19 Daniel Greene commuted
On the evening of September 27, 1991, Daniel Greene made a series of trips to the Suwanee Swifty, a convenience store and gasoline station in Reynolds, Taylor County, Georgia. During his final visit, Greene grabbed the store clerk, Virginia Weiss, held a knife to her throat, and told her to give him the money from the cash register. After obtaining the money, $142.55, Greene continued to hold the knife to Virginia’s throat. He pulled her to the back room, then cut her across three fingers and stabbed her through the lung and liver. Upon hearing the automatic doorbell ring as Bernard Walker entered the store, Greene placed Virginia against the bathroom wall, telling her that if she left the room he would have to kill her. Greene reentered the public area of the store and encountered Bernard waiting at the counter to make a purchase. He stabbed Bernard in the heart, threw down the knife, left the store and drove away. After attempting to get help, Bernard Walker fell dead in the parking lot. Later that evening, Greene went to the home of Willie and Donice Montgomery, an elderly couple in rural Macon County for whom Greene had worked as a farm laborer for about two months. Greene burst through the Montgomerys’ kitchen door wielding a knife and asked for their car keys. Mr. Montgomery gave Greene the keys, and Greene proceeded to stab each victim multiple times in the head. After leaving the Montgomerys’ home, Greene drove their car to a convenience store in Warner Robins, Houston County, Georgia. Once there, he held a butcher knife to the cashier, Bonnie Roberts, and forced her to give him the money from the cash register. He then walked toward her and attempted to stab her in the chest. She bent down, and Greene drove the knife into the back of her shoulder. Greene then drove the Montgomerys’ car to the home of an acquaintance in Warner Robins, where he was apprehended. Greene was tried separately and convicted of the Macon and Houston County crimes. The trial from which this appeal is taken concerned only Greene’s indictment for the crimes committed in Taylor County. Before trial, Greene confessed to the crimes, explaining in a videotaped interview that he had committed them to obtain money for crack cocaine. At trial, Greene testified that he could not remember committing the crimes or confessing, and that he could only recall experiencing a severe headache inside the Suwanee Swifty after having smoked a cigarette given to him earlier by an acquaintance. He theorized that his criminal behavior might have been induced by the cigarette, which must have been laced with a powerful, mind-altering drug. Bernard was a 1990 graduate of Taylor County HIgh School and was voted "most favorite" in his class. At the time of the murder, former Taylor County Sheriff Nick Giles said, "It’s like a piece of Reynolds, Georgia is gone." When Greene’s execution date was set, Giles said the murder was a sad time for locals who lost a beloved son. “It’s just a very tragic thing for everybody. For Bernard’s family, he was a real good boy and was well-liked all over the community. So was Daniel Greene,” Giles said. “Until that particular turn of events that night, I don’t know of anybody that disliked Daniel…. I’m sure that he wished he could turn the clock back and retrace that night and do it a little differently.” UPDATE: The Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles commuted Greene’s sentence to life without parole.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
April 20, 2012 Delaware Cameron Hamelin Shannon Johnson executed
On the morning of September 24, 2006, Cameron Hamelin was shot intentionally and killed while seated in his vehicle at the intersection of Jessup and Vandever Streets in Wilmington. Lakeisha Truitt, who was in the passenger seat of Hamelin’s vehicle, was not struck. Lakeisha called 911 and identified Shannon Johnson, the father of her child, as the shooter. Johnson was not apprehended immediately. Weeks later, on November 10, 2006, Lakeisha Truitt was driving her vehicle in Wilmington, near her home on 35th Street, when she was shot intentionally. She survived and identified Johnson as the person who shot her. On November 15, 2006, Johnson was arrested in Wilmington at the home of a female friend, Rima Stewart. In sentencing Johnson to death, the judge noted his long criminal history, including the 2002 rape of a teenager who was seven months pregnant.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
April 25, 2012 Arizona Hector Juarez, 25 Thomas Kemp executed
On July 11, 1992, at approximately 11:15 p.m., Hector Juarez awoke when his fiancĂ©e, Jamie, returned home from work to their shared unit at the Promontory Apartments in Tucson. A short time later, Hector left to get something to eat. Jamie assumed he went to a nearby Jack-in-the-Box at the corner of Oracle and River Roads. He never returned. At around midnight, Jamie became concerned that Hector had not come home and began to look for him. She found both her car and his car in the parking lot. Her car, the one Hector was driving, was unlocked, smelled of fast food, and had insurance papers on the roof. After checking with Hector’s brother and a friend, Jamie called the police. Two or three days before Hector was abducted, Jeffery Logan, an escapee from a California honor farm, arrived in Tucson and met with Thomas Arnold Kemp, Jr. On Friday, July 10, Logan went with Kemp to a pawn shop and helped him buy a.380 semi-automatic handgun. Kemp and Logan spent the next night driving around Tucson. At some time between 11:15 p.m. and midnight, Kemp and Logan abducted Hector Juarez from the parking area of his complex. At midnight, Kemp used Hector’s ATM card and successfully withdrew approximately $200. He then drove Hector out to the Siverbell Mine area near Marana. Kemp walked Hector 50 to 70 feet from the truck, forced him to disrobe, and shot him in the head twice. Kemp then made two unsuccessful attempts to use Hector Juarez’s ATM card in Tucson. The ATM machine kept the card after the second time. Kemp and Logan painted Kemp’s truck, drove to Flagstaff, and sold it. They bought another.380 semi-automatic handgun with the proceeds. While in Flagstaff, Kemp and Logan met a couple travelling from California to Kansas. At some point they kidnapped the couple and forced them to drive to Durango, Colorado, where Kemp forced the man to disrobe. He then sexually assaulted him. The victim testified that while alone with Kemp in a hotel room, Kemp forced him to undress and then touched his genitals. Later, Kemp, Logan, and the couple drove to Denver. Two weeks after Hector Juarez was abducted, the couple escaped. For unknown reasons, Logan left Kemp, contacted the Tucson police about the murder of Hector Juarez, and was arrested in Denver. With Logan’s help, the police discovered Hector Juarez’s body. Later that day, the police arrested Kemp at a homeless shelter in Tucson. He was carrying the handgun purchased in Flagstaff and a pair of handcuffs. After having been read his Miranda rights, Kemp answered some questions before he asked for a lawyer. Kemp admitted that he purchased a handgun with Logan on July 10. He said that on the day of the abduction and homicide he was "cruising" though apartment complexes, and that there was a very good possibility he was at the Promontory Apartments. When the police confronted him with the ATM photographs, he initially denied being the man in the picture. After having been told Logan was in custody, and having again been shown the photographs, Kemp said "I guess my life is over now." While awaiting trial, Kemp on two separate occasions made admissions to corrections officials. Kemp admitted guilt to two jail officials. He made one comment to Officer Compton after having been asked why he was in administrative segregation or protective custody. Kemp said, "the guy I killed was Hispanic" and the Hispanic guys in the pod where he had previously been felt it was racially motivated. Compton testified, "He says white guys can’t help me so I have to be put in protective custody status so they couldn’t get at him." Officer Jackson testified that Kemp, in the course of a routine conversation, made a similar statement. Kemp said: "the guy I killed was a Mexican, the Mexicans in the pod I was in are after me. That is why I requested to be moved back here, for my own protection." Logan’s and Kemp’s trials were severed. Logan was tried first, convicted, and sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder. A jury found Kemp guilty on all counts. The court found three statutory aggravating factors: a prior conviction of a felony involving the use or threat of violence against a person, the murder was committed with the expectation of pecuniary gain, and the murder was committed in an especially heinous, cruel or depraved manner. After the State presented its case to establish three aggravating factors, and the defense presented its case for mitigation, Kemp addressed the court. He said in part: "The prosecutor, in his alleged wisdom, has portrayed me as being a killer without remorse or regret. This is a wholly inaccurate assessment. I feel a deep and abiding sense of remorse at having permitted friendship to stay my hand in the face of wiser counsel; thus electing not to kill Jeff Logan at a time when both instinct and circumstances demanded his death. You can rest assured that is a lapse of judgment I will never repeat and one which I will bend all my energies towards correcting in the not too distant future. Beyond that, I regret nothing… The so-called victim was not an American citizen and, therefore, was beneath my contempt. We+backs are hardly an endangered species in this state. If more of them wound up dead, the rest of them would soon learn to stay in Mexico, where they belong. I don’t show any mercy and I am certainly not here to plead for mercy. I spit on the law and all those who serve it…" The court did not find any mitigating circumstances and sentenced Kemp to death.

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
April 26, 2012 Texas Kenneth Wayne Vandever, 37 Beunka Adams executed
On September 2, 2002, Candace Driver and Nikki Dement were working at BDJ’s convenience store in Rusk, Texas. Kenneth Vandever, a customer described as mentally challenged who often "hung around" at BDJ’s and helped take out the trash, was in the store with Candace and Nikki when two masked men entered the store. One of the men was armed with a shotgun and demanded money. The two men were later identified as Beunka Adams and his co-defendant, Richard Cobb. After taking the money from the cash register, Adams demanded the keys to a Cadillac parked outside. After Candace produced her car keys, Adams forced her, along with Nikki and Kenneth, into the car. As Adams drove Candace’s car, Nikki said, "I know you, don’t I?" Adams said "Yes," and took his mask off. When they arrived at a remote pea patch near Alto, Cobb pointed the shotgun at Candace and Kenneth and Adams ordered them to get into the trunk of the Cadillac. Adams then took Nikki to a more secluded spot, away from the car, and sexually assaulted her. Later, Adams led Nikki back to the Cadillac and let Candace and Kenneth out of the trunk, but he tied the two women’s arms behind their backs and made them kneel on the ground while the two robbers made their escape. Adams and Cobb seemingly developed a plan to leave Kenneth untied so that he could free the women once Adams and Cobb were far enough away from the scene. Adams, however, believed that Kenneth was attempting to untie the women too soon, so he returned and ordered Kenneth to kneel behind the women. Candace heard Kenneth say that "it was time for him to take his medicine and that he was ready to go home." The women then heard a single gunshot. Adams asked, "did we get anybody?" And Candace said, "No." Shortly thereafter, a second shot was fired, and Kenneth cried out, "They shot me." Kenneth Vandever died from the gunshot wound. Seconds later, Candace heard another shot, and Nikki fell forward. Candace fell forward as well, pretending to be hit. Adams approached Candace and asked her if she was bleeding. He was carrying the shotgun. Candace did not immediately answer in the hope that Adams would believe she had been killed. Adams then said, "Are you bleeding?" You better answer me. I’ll shoot you in the face if you don’t answer me." When Candace said, "No, no, I’m not bleeding," Adams shot her in the face, hitting her lip. Adams and Cobb then turned to Nikki, asking her the same questions. Adams kicked Nikki for about a minute, joined by Cobb. Then they picked her up by her hair and held a lighter to her face to see if she was still alive. Candace feigned death for fear of being shot again. She heard Cobb say about Nikki, "She’s dead. Let’s go." That was the only time that Candace ever heard Cobb speak. After Adams and Cobb left, Candace got up and ran barefooted down the deserted country road and banged on the door of the first house she saw. After Candace had left, Nikki got up, and after walking in a different direction, found help at another house. Shortly after the women spoke with authorities, Cobb and Adams were located and arrested. From a family history: Kenneth Vandever, for a change, had everything going for him. Kenneth was born in Dallas, a "normal, everyday, run-of-the-mill kid," to hear his dad Don talk. Don and his first wife divorced when Kenneth and his brother, Jerry, were in elementary school. When Kenneth graduated from Caddo Mills High in 1983, he had already managed the local Dairy Queen for two years, and he was mapping out a career as an architect. Less than a week after graduation, he began summer school at Eastfield Junior College in Dallas, making an A- and a B+ in the hardest of his core subjects. But on Labor Day, Kenneth fell asleep at the wheel of his car, and the ensuing accident resulted in massive head injuries. He lay in a coma for 10 days. With his memory and much of his intellect nearly gone, it was impossible for Kenneth to hold a job. The Vandevers moved to Rusk in 1986, specifically to open the auto parts business, something Don figured could support Kenneth when he was gone. Don said Kenneth began spending evenings at BDJ’s store after he learned that one of the store’s female employees was working while pregnant. "He didn’t like to see her mopping and sweeping, so he would do it," he said. "It gave him a feeling of being useful, and he liked that. "And he was upset when Sister Pate (the Rev. Jan Pate’s mother) worked. He wanted to be there to help her." In reality, said Bri’Ann Driver, the store’s office manager, Kenneth committed himself to being at the store any night when a lady was working. Kenneth Vandever was more than just a customer to Pate – he was kind of like one of the family. He spent many days sipping coffee right outside their doors. In fact, he even told them he was their guardian angel. They never knew how true those words would be. Had Candice Driver and Nikki Ansley not played dead after being shot, they too may not have survived. Driver was able to recount those frightening moments to her boss and pastor. "She said while she was in the trunk of the vehicle," says Pate. "The only thing she could remember was brother Pate preaching last Sunday keep the name of Jesus on the end of your tongue and she said they could hear me all the way to Alto." It seems Vandever had felt threatened by his murderers before. His parents told police Adams and a white male had been to their house for some unknown reason, now no one will ever no why. Richard Cobb also received a death sentence.

Page visited times since 3/3/12

Page last updated 12/06/12