Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
September 10, 2014 Texas Barbara Canada
Titus Canada
Willie Trottie executed
Trottie and Barbara Canada met and began dating in about 1989. Shortly thereafter, the two moved in together and had a child. In September 1992, the couple separated and Barbara moved in with her family. Trottie’s behavior towards Barbara became increasingly violent following their 1992 separation. According to state witnesses that testified at Trottie’s trial, Trottie warned Barbara that he would kill her if she did not return to him and repeated the threat several times in the months after she moved out. Barbara’s close friend testified that Trottie called Barbara “constantly” at home and at work, begging her to come back to him. Trottie hit Barbara, bumped Barbara’s car with his own while it was traveling at sixty to sixty-five miles per hour, and once kidnapped her, releasing her only after she promised to reunite with him. Barbara obtained a protective order against Trottie in March 1993. Nevertheless, state witnesses testified that Trottie telephoned Barbara in April and told her that she had until May 1, 1993 to return to him, or else he would kill her. On May 3, 1993, Trottie called Barbara again and told her that “he wasn’t going to wait around anymore” and again threatened to kill her. One witness testified that Trottie also threatened Barbara’s brother Titus Canada because, according to Trottie, he had gotten “in the way.” Trottie arrived at the Canada residence at approximately 11:00 p.m. on the night of May 3, 1993, armed with a semiautomatic 9mm pistol. At the time, Trottie had visited Barbara’s house earlier that day, armed with a shotgun. Barbara’s brother Titus confronted Trottie with a.380 pistol, at which point Trottie departed. Before he returned at 11:00 p.m., Trottie called Barbara’s home and said that he “wanted” Barbara and her brother. There were five children under the age of seven in the house, along with numerous other family members. According to state witnesses, Trottie opened fire immediately, wounding Barbara’s mother, sister, and brother. Barbara’s brother returned fire with a.380 caliber pistol and shot Trottie numerous times. Though wounded, Trottie cornered Barbara in a bedroom and, while she lay on the ground, shot her eleven times, saying “Bitch, I told you I was going to kill you.” Trottie then returned to the area where Barbara’s brother was lying wounded and, in the view of at least two small children, fired two shots into the back of Barbara’s brother’s head, killing him. Trottie left the Canada home and was arrested a short time later in the emergency room of a nearby hospital after driving himself there in Barbara Canada’s car. In the penalty phase of the trial, the state presented evidence that in 1988, Trottie pled guilty in Louisiana to theft of property valued at less than $100. In July 1990, he was arrested in Texas for unlawfully carrying a weapon. He pled guilty to that crime, as well. In September 1990, Trottie was convicted of theft in Texas and placed on probation. In October 1992, Trottie shot out the tires on Barbara Canada’s car. He violated a condition of the probation in February 1993 and committed this horrible crime in May of 1993. UPDATE: After Trottie’s execution, relatives of his victims released a statement saying they were relieved justice was “finally served all these years later.” “It’s time for our family to end this chapter and be able to move on,” the statement read.

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
September 10, 2014 Missouri Robert Leroy Newton , 53 Leon Taylor stayed
On April 14, 1994, Willie and Tina Owens, who were brother and sister, were drinking and smoking marijuana at the apartment where they lived. Sometime between 6:00 and 7:00 p.m., Leon Taylor, who was their half-brother, joined the party. At some point, Taylor, Willie and Tina went out riding in Tina’s car, discussing the possibility of robbing a drug dealer. Taylor, however, suggested a gas station in Independence where he knew there would only be one person working. They drove to that gas station. While at the gas station, Taylor and Willie used the restroom. When Willie returned, Taylor was standing outside and Tina was coming out of the gas station after paying for some gas. The trio left, but only a few blocks away from the gas station, the oil light came on and they turned around and went back. Willie woke up Tina, who had already dozed off, and asked for money to pay for the oil. She gave him a one dollar bill and four quarters, and Willie went inside to get the oil. The only people in the store were Robert Newton, who was fifty-three years old, and his eight-year-old stepdaughter, Sarah Yates. Willie, Mr. Newton and Sarah went to the back room to get the oil, and while they were there, Taylor came inside and stated that they needed a different weight of oil. Taylor was standing with one arm behind his back, and after asking for the oil, he pulled his arm around and was holding a 9 millimeter semi-automatic pistol. Mr. Newton asked Taylor not to shoot because he had his little girl there and he did not want her to have to see him dead. Taylor told Mr. Newton to get the money or he would shoot. Mr. Newton complied and placed the money in the bag. Willie stated that he did not want anything to do with this and placed the money Tina had given him on the counter. However, Willie took the money from Mr. Newton and returned to the car, leaving Taylor inside the gas station. Taylor asked Mr. Newton if there was a back room and the three of them went there. Taylor stood in the door frame facing Mr. Newton, and asked if there was a lock on the door. Sarah turned away to look for another way out of the room, and while she was looking away, she heard a loud boom. When Sarah turned back, her father was on the floor. Taylor then turned to Sarah and pointed the gun at her. Sarah raised her hands and pleaded for Taylor not to shoot her, offering to do anything he wanted. She did not hear Taylor’s response because she still could not hear anything after the noise of the gun. However, Taylor pulled the trigger of the pistol while it was pointed at Sarah, but it did not fire. Taylor looked at the gun in a “funny” way and then left, locking the door. Taylor came out of the store, pulling on the gun’s slide and stating, “the motherfucker jammed”. Taylor reported that he had shot the man in the head, and then said he had to go get the little girl. Taylor asked if there was another gun in the car, but the others wanted to get away, so they drove off. As they were driving away, Taylor said that the little girl had been standing there “watching her daddy bleed,” and then put her hands in the air offering to do anything he wanted. Taylor said that Sarah’s pleading for her life aggravated him, and stated that he should have choked her. Meanwhile, Sarah prayed by her father’s body, and then left the room a few minutes later. Sarah called 911 and then hid under a table. Officer Halsey, of the Independence Police Department, arrived at approximately 9:58 p.m., and found Sarah on the telephone. Officer Halsey found Mr. Newton lying on his back on the floor with massive head trauma. The victim died from his head wound. Several days after the murder, Officer Kenneth Cavanah, of the Independence Police Department, received a TIPS hot line implicating Taylor. Taylor was arrested the next day at his home in Kansas City and, after informing Taylor of his Miranda rights, Officer Cavanah drove Taylor to Independence. Officer Cavanah advised Taylor of the murder he was suspected of committing. Taylor indicated that he had heard about it and knew where it happened, but there was nothing he could do about it, and that he had “no emotion” about the murder. Taylor stated that he had been at the gas station once, but that he had never been inside. The next day, April 22, 1994, while at the Kansas City Police Department, Taylor was again advised of his rights and agreed to talk to Officers Cavanah and Johann after they allowed him to speak to Willie. Taylor asked to view Willie’s videotaped statement, and after a few minutes of watching it, stated that “he had seen enough”. Taylor then agreed to give a statement on videotape. In his statement, Taylor admitted that he had shot and killed Mr. Newton, but claimed that it was an accident. Taylor stated that he, Willie and Tina were driving around talking about robbing a drug dealer, and that he suggested the gas station where he knew there was only one attendant. Taylor stated that they got some gas, left the station, but went back when the oil light came on. When asked if they left the first time because the little girl was there, Taylor responded, “yeah, I guess”. Taylor stated that on their return, Willie went inside first and he followed, demanding the money. Willie took the money and went back to the car while Taylor stayed behind and ordered Mr. Newton and his stepdaughter into the back room. Taylor stated that he told them he was not going to hurt them, but claimed that when he was closing the door the gun fired accidentally. Taylor asserted that he was not sure how this happened, saying, “I don’t know if I hit the wall, hit the door, or something,” and noted he was just “nervous and drinking”. Afterwards, he said they all went home and split the money. After the videotaped statement was completed, Officer Johann asked Taylor how they were standing when Mr. Newton was shot. Taylor stated that they were facing each other, with the victim only a few feet away. Taylor denied trying to shoot Sarah, stating that he may have pointed the gun at her when he was looking at the gun in amazement. Forensic examination of the evidence revealed that Mr. Newton was shot in the forehead with a 9 millimeter full-metal-jacketed bullet from approximately six inches away, and that the bullet exited at the base of the neck with a downward trajectory, indicating that the victim was “ducking” down. In addition, it was shown that a normal 9 millimeter semi-automatic pistol would not go off accidentally unless it is “slammed” down on a surface or dropped from a distance. The cause of Mr. Newton’s death was a single gunshot would to his head with penetrating brain injuries. The jury also heard evidence of Taylor’s prior convictions for murder in the second degree, robbery in the first degree, and attempted robbery in the first degree, and his convictions that arose out of the facts of this case. The jury unanimously recommended that Taylor be sentenced to death.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
September 10, 2014 Missouri JoAnna Marie Baysinger , 22
Dennis L. Poyser , 45
Earl Ringo, Jr. executed
On July 3, 1998, Earl Ringo, Jr. and a friend, Quentin Jones, were traveling to Columbia, Missouri, in a rented U-Haul truck. Ringo rented the truck to move his belongings from Columbia to Jeffersonville, Indiana. During the trip, Ringo concocted a plan to commit an early morning robbery of the Ruby Tuesday restaurant in Columbia where he had formerly been employed. From that employment, Ringo recalled the early morning routine. He explained the two men could wear Ruby Tuesday T-shirts, go to the back door at an early hour, and trick the manager into letting them inside. At that time of day, the manager would be the only person in the building. Ringo believed that the cash proceeds from the previous day’s operation would be left in a safe and that their take could amount to several thousand dollars. On arrival in Columbia, the two went to Ringo’s former residence and began packing his possessions in the truck. During the process, Ringo opened a backpack inside the truck, revealing a bulletproof vest and some gloves. He also displayed two ski masks, two Ruby Tuesday T-shirts, and some jeans that Jones could wear to look more like an employee. After loading the truck, Jones went to sleep. However, Ringo did not sleep. He remained awake, cleaning a 9 millimeter pistol. At about 4:30 a.m. on July 4, Ringo woke Jones. They then drove to a Radio Shack store within walking distance of the restaurant. At that point, Jones expressed reluctance to go inside the restaurant. Ringo responded by chastising Jones, telling him to “Stop being a bitch and come on.” The two then walked toward the restaurant, Ringo carrying the backpack. Once there, the men, already wearing the T-shirts supplied by Ringo, approached the restaurant from the rear and walked through an unlocked gateway guarding the back of the restaurant. Ringo closed the gates behind him. Since they had seen no vehicles in the parking lot, they remained within the gated area, waiting for a manager or another employee to arrive. Ringo indicated to Jones that when another employee arrived, they would knock on the back door in the hope of being let inside. At 5:55 a.m., a delivery truck driven by Dennis Poyser arrived. Jones panicked and attempted to flee by climbing the wall, but Ringo instructed him to hide. Jones complied and located a hiding place between a trash dumpster and a “grease pit.” The two put on the ski masks. Next, Joanna Baysinger, a manager in training, opened the rear door of the building, and Poyser opened the outer gates. Baysinger came out to the gateway and spoke with Poyser. Then, Baysinger returned to the building along with Poyser. Carrying his pistol, Ringo ran in after them. Once inside, Ringo shot Poyser in the face from a distance of about six inches. Poyser fell to the floor. Hearing the gunshot, Jones entered the building and found Poyser on the floor and Baysinger screaming. She had blood on her hand and ankle. Then Ringo grabbed Baysinger, forced her into the restaurant office, and demanded that she open the safe. While in the office with Baysinger, Ringo directed Jones to go to the front of the restaurant and make sure no one else had arrived. Jones did so and, seeing no one else, returned to the office. When Jones returned, he found Ringo and Baysinger next to the safe. Ringo filled the backpack with cash from the petty cash and cash drawers located in the top part of the safe as Baysinger tried to open the bottom part containing the cash proceeds from the previous day’s business. Ringo told Jones to make certain the back door was closed. Jones closed the door and returned to see Baysinger struggling with the bottom part of the safe while Ringo became increasingly frustrated with her. He demanded that Baysinger “hurry up” as Jones knocked the telephone to the floor in order to scare her. Suddenly, another employee arrived and knocked on the back door. Ringo responded by handing Jones the gun and his right glove. Ringo said, “If she moves, shoot her.” He left Jones in charge of controlling Baysinger, and despite the employee knocking on the door, dragged Poyser’s body into the walk-in cooler by the legs. Meanwhile, the employee became discouraged and left the restaurant in order to try calling from a nearby McDonald’s restaurant. Baysinger continued having difficulty in opening the lower part of the safe, and finally asked Jones if he would try. Jones refused. Then he became uncomfortable holding the gun used to kill Poyser, so he set it on the floor. Ringo returned to the office, no longer wearing the ski mask, and asked Jones why the gun was on the floor. Jones picked up the gun and handed it back to Ringo, who promptly fired a shot at the floor beside Baysinger to hasten her. Baysinger stood, covered her ears with her hands and screamed. After collecting herself, she again tried unsuccessfully to open the lower portion of the safe. At one point, Ringo also tried. As before, this final attempt to open the lower part failed, and Ringo gave up. Frustrated, Ringo asked Baysinger how much money she had, seized her purse, and emptied it onto a table. Then, he instructed her to find a piece of paper and write a note saying “I’m sorry.” As she wrote, Ringo took Jones aside and asked him if he wanted to kill Baysinger. Jones shrugged his shoulders and shook his head but took the gun from Ringo nevertheless. Baysinger announced she had finished writing the note. Jones pointed the gun at her head and looked at Ringo, who encouraged him to quit stalling and shoot her. Finally, Jones squeezed the trigger, shooting her in the head. Baysinger fell to the floor. Jones picked up the backpack and placed the gun inside. The two men then left Ruby Tuesday through the front door and walked back to the truck. They fled the scene in the truck, heading east on Interstate Highway 70. Along the way, they disassembled the gun and discarded the parts and the T-shirts at various points. Once in Indiana, they split the $1,400 obtained from the robbery. Following a police investigation, Ringo was arrested nine days later. Jones turned himself in the same day. Jones pleaded guilty to first-degree murder, second-degree murder, first-degree robbery and armed criminal action. In order to avoid the death penalty, Jones agreed to testify for the state against Ringo. The jury found Ringo guilty of two counts of first-degree murder and recommended that he be sentenced to death for each.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
September 17, 2014 Texas Davontae Williams, 9 Lisa Coleman executed
On July 26, 2004, Marcella Williams, Lisa Coleman’s lover, found her nine-year-old son Davontae unconscious and called 911. While en route to Williams’s apartment, firefighter and paramedic Troy Brooks stated that the dispatcher changed the call from “breathing difficulty” to “full arrest.” When he arrived, Davontae was lying on the bathroom floor clad in a disposable diaper. Brooks testified that Davontae appeared “emaciated” and looked as if he was only three to five years old. Brooks immediately realized that Davontae was dead; his body was already in full rigor mortis, which usually occurs several hours after death. This “shocked” Brooks because Williams had told him that Davontae had just eaten and thrown up and that Williams and Coleman had been washing him. Brooks also noticed that Davontae had a few “dirty bandages” on his arms. Vanessa Sheriff, a paramedic, testified that Williams told her that she tried to feed Davontae Pediasure. Williams also said that Davontae was breathing when she called 911. Sheriff believed this statement “did not match with what she saw on the bathroom floor.” Both Brooks and Sheriff noticed that Davontae had traces of yellow vomit or bile around his mouth and nose. Sheriff believed that the appearance of vomit was consistent with the liquid Pediasure. Dr. Daniel Konzelmann conducted the autopsy. Dr. Konzelmann determined that Davontae’s death was a homicide and that the direct cause of death was malnutrition coupled with slight pneumonia. Davontae weighed less than forty pounds at the time of his death. Dr. Konzelmann determined that Davontae was malnourished because Davontae’s body lacked subcutaneous fat cells. He also cited the lack of fat cells surrounding Davontae’s heart as very unusual. Dr. Konzelmann also explained how the external injuries to Davontae’s body contributed to his death: I believe that some of these injuries were infected and that it’s possible that this did relate to the pneumonia that he had. Also some of these were evidence to me that he had been bound and that this would have prevented him from either seeking care on his own or getting food on his own. Dr. Konzelmann noted evidence indicating that Davontae had been continuously bound. Davontae had numerous linear marks on his wrists. Some of the marks were scarred, indicating wounds that had healed, and some of the marks were “giant soress,” indicating that they were not healing. This demonstrated a pattern of restraint. Davontae’s ankles had similar markings. Davontae’s ear had a significant wound that was beginning to heal. His lower lip had an ulceration and a tear that would make it hard for Davontae to eat and drink. It appeared that Davontae had chicken-noodle soup before he died but, according to Dr. Konzelmann, “it was inadequate, too late, and possibly too much.” Dr. Nancy Kellogg, a board-certified pediatrician and specialist in child abuse, identified at least 250 distinct injuries to Davontae, including cigarette or cigar burn wounds and numerous ligature marks on his arms and legs. Kellogg described the starvation of a child as “very rare” and “unusual.” However, based on the ligature marks, she concluded that Davontae was intentionally starved to death. Davontae had been restrained from accessing food. Based on a review of Davontae’s medical records from December 2002, Dr. Kellogg opined that Davontae had a “normal growth velocity” for a child his age. This indicated that he did not suffer from a disease that would stunt his growth. In the months before his death, however, Davontae’s weight spiked downward and he stopped growing. The physical stress caused Davontae’s hair growth to be abnormal; he had hair growing in places where hair does not normally grow. Such growth is typically seen in people who are anorexic. Detective Jim Ford questioned Coleman while investigating Davontae’s death. Coleman told Detective Ford that she lived with Williams about half of the time and with her son and mother the other half. She used to beat Davontae with a belt but stopped in February or March of 2004 because the beatings left welts. She stated that she and Williams tied up Davontae on several occasions. Recalling the night that Davontae died, Coleman stated that Williams woke her up screaming. Williams attempted to administer CPR to Davontae, and Coleman said that she put Davontae in a warm bath to revive him. Coleman did not know how Davontae injured his arms and legs. Davontae’s sister, Destinee, who was eight at the time, testified that Coleman would tie Davontae up with an extension cord in the bathroom. When Davontae was tied up, he “couldn’t move around much” and did “nothing.” Child Protective Service (CPS) Investigators testified that Davontae was removed from Williams’s home and placed in foster care in 1999 because Coleman physically abused him. Davontae was returned to Williams’s custody about a year later. After her arrest in this case, Coleman told CPS that she bruised Davontae by beating him with a belt in 2004. She spoke to her mother about the incident, and her mother told her to not to touch Davontae. She admitted that she tied up Davontae on two occasions with clothing to keep him from hurting himself or others. According to Campbell, Coleman said that Williams did not want to take Davontae to the doctor because she was afraid that the bruises and marks would prompt a doctor to call CPS. Coleman admitted to Campbell that she had hit and pushed Davontae, causing him to split his lip. She also told Campbell that Williams did not want Davontae to go to school because Williams was afraid that he would report the abuse and that school officials would call CPS. Coleman stated that Davontae had been tied up regularly since June and that the sore on his arm was caused by him fighting to be released. The pantry door had a lock on the top of the door frame, and investigators discovered a dry urine stain on the floor. But Coleman denied locking Davontae in the pantry. Coleman also said that Davontae had been sick for about a month before his death. He did not eat very much when fed, and he would throw up. Coleman stated that, in an attempt to help Davontae, she and Williams gave him a variety of over-the-counter medicines. Dr. Lesther Winkler, a pathologist, testified for the defense. He stated that Davontae died from aspiration pneumonia, which “is the result of sucking food or particles of material which don’t go into the stomach properly through the esophagus and are sucked instead into the trachea,” which leads to the lungs. Dr. Winkler noted aspirated material in Davontae’s lung and that his right lung was twice the size of his left because of the aspirated material. Dr. Winkler disagreed with Dr. Konzelmann’s determination that the absence of fat around Davontae’s heart was significant. In his opinion, children rarely have fat around the heart. As for the malnutrition, Dr. Winkler agreed that Davontae was malnourished; there was no evidence that Davontae was unable to metabolize food. Dr. Nizam Peerwani, the Chief Medical Examiner with Tarrant County, also examined Davontae’s body during the autopsy. The State called him to testify to rebut Dr. Winkler’s testimony. He stated that a normal person does not aspirate and die and that there was no reason to suggest that Davontae aspirated given his medical history. Viewing the “entire picture,” Dr. Peerwani stated, “even if he had aspirated, the pneumonia is not a very significant component in this child’s death. Perhaps the most dramatic component is malnourishment. He died because of malnutrition.”
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
September 18, 2014 Ohio Sheila Marie Evans, 3 Ronald Phillips stayed
On January 18, 1993, Sheila Marie Evans, age three, died as a result of cardiovascular collapse due to severe blunt force trauma to her abdomen. At the time, Sheila’s mother, Fae Evans, was dating and occasionally cohabiting with Ronald Phillips. In addition to Sheila, Evans had two other children, Sara, twenty-nine months old, and Ronald, Jr., Phillips’s infant son. Shortly after 10:00 a.m. on the morning of January 18, 1993, Fae Evans took Ronald, Jr. to see the family physician for a routine physical examination. Phillips remained at Evans’s apartment to care for Sheila and Sara. Evans returned to the apartment at approximately 11:25 a.m. and found Phillips sitting in the kitchen. Soon thereafter, Evans called out to her daughters, but they failed either to respond or to appear. Phillips walked into the girls’ bedroom and found Sheila lying on her bed motionless, pale and cold. He then lifted Sheila and carried her downstairs to his grandmother’s apartment. Hazel Phillips, Phillips’s grandmother, telephoned the 911 emergency operator, reported that Sheila was not breathing, and relayed instructions on performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation to Phillips. Phillips in turn attempted to revive Sheila until medical assistance arrived. Paramedics from the city of Akron responded to the 911 call within four minutes of being dispatched and immediately transported Sheila to Children’s Hospital in Akron. Upon her arrival at the emergency room, Sheila was not breathing and had no pulse. The first physician to examine Sheila, Dr. Eugene Izsak, noted that she had multiple bruises on her torso, a distended stomach, apparent internal abdominal injuries, and a stretched anus with some acute, recent changes. Dr. Izsak’s medical team continued cardiopulmonary resuscitation and was eventually able to obtain a pulse. Sheila was transported to the operating room after spending approximately one hour in the emergency room. Dr. Robert Klein performed emergency abdominal surgery, which revealed that Sheila’s abdominal cavity was filled with a significant amount of free air and blood, and that a portion of her intestine, the duodenum, was perforated and gangrenous. Dr. Klein removed the dead portion of the intestine, and attempted to control the internal bleeding. Based upon his observations, Dr. Klein determined that the injury to the duodenum had been inflicted at least two days prior to Sheila’s admission into the hospital. Despite the significant medical efforts performed at Children’s Hospital, Sheila died later that day. On January 19, 1993, Dr. William Cox, the Summit County Coroner, conducted an autopsy on Sheila. During his external examination of Sheila, Dr. Cox documented more than one hundred twenty-five bruises, many of which he identified as acute injuries that had been inflicted within a few hours of death. The bruising indicated that Sheila had been severely beaten about her head, face, upper and lower torso, arms, legs, and genitalia. He also detailed that the blows to Sheila’s abdomen had resulted in severe internal trauma, including hemorrhaging in her stomach, intestine and other internal organs. Dr. Cox examined the section of Sheila’s bowel that had been surgically removed, and determined that the injury to the duodenum had occurred approximately forty-eight hours prior to her death. During that forty-eight-hour period, Dr. Cox opined, Sheila would have suffered from intense abdominal pain, an inability to eat, vomiting, a high temperature, and listlessness. The beating Sheila suffered on the morning of January 18, 1993 caused the already necrotic and gangrenous duodenum to rupture. Dr. Cox concluded that Sheila died as a result of cardiovascular collapse stemming from the severe, blunt force trauma to her abdomen, and the numerous related complications. Dr. Cox also discovered during the autopsy evidence of acute anal penetration. Based upon the presence of contusions and lacerations, Dr. Cox determined that Sheila had sustained repetitive anal penetrations over a period of time, and that the most recent trauma had occurred sometime during the morning of January 18, 1993. Given the absence of abrasions within the rectum, Dr. Cox further concluded that Sheila had been anally penetrated by a penis rather than by a finger or some other foreign object. At approximately 3:00 p.m. on the day Sheila died, Detective Jan Falcone, an officer with the Juvenile Bureau of the Akron Police Department, interviewed Phillips at the police station. Although Phillips was not placed under arrest, Falcone read Phillips his Miranda rights, which he waived. During the interview, Phillips admitted that on Friday, January 15, 1993, or Saturday, January 16, 1993, he had spanked Sheila three times with an open hand. After the spanking, Phillips noticed bruises on the girl’s bottom, which surprised him. He said, “I really didn’t think I spanked her that hard but I told Fae I would not do it any more.” Phillips indicated that Sheila had not felt well during the weekend, and that she had vomited several times. Phillips also told Falcone that Sheila had been injured on several previous occasions. He recalled one incident in which Sheila fell on a railroad spike which penetrated either her vagina or anus. On another occasion, Phillips claimed that Sheila hurt her “vagina and stomach area” when she jumped from a dresser to a bed and struck the corner of the bed. Sheila bruised her eye and cut her lip when she fell down a flight of stairs. Phillips denied having ever touched Sheila or Sara in their “private areas.” At some point during the interview, Phillips was informed that Sheila had died. Falcone then asked Phillips again what had happened to Sheila. Phillips responded that the night before Sheila’s death, he had observed Evans in the girls’ bedroom standing over Sheila with both fists clenched after hearing Sheila scream, “Don’t beat me.” The interview ceased after that exchange, and Phillips left the police station. In total, the interview lasted approximately seven hours, during which time Phillips was provided with food, beverages, and several breaks. On Wednesday, January 19, 1993, Phillips telephoned the Akron police station in order to speak with the detectives who were investigating Sheila’s death. Detective Ronald Perella, a detective assigned to the case, was attending Sheila’s autopsy at the time Phillips’s call was received and thus was unable to immediately speak with him. The next morning, Perella and his supervisor, Sergeant Dye, drove to South Alternative School, where Phillips was enrolled as a student. The officers met with Phillips and asked him to return to the police department for further questioning. Phillips complied, was driven to the Juvenile Bureau of the police department, and taken to an interviewing room. Perella read Phillips his Miranda rights, which he again waived, and asked Phillips to share whatever additional information he wished to convey. Phillips then repeated the same information he had given to Detective Falcone on the previous day. The detectives questioned Phillips as to why he had telephoned them if he simply wanted to reiterate his earlier statement. They also informed Phillips that the coroner had performed an autopsy on Sheila, and therefore knew everything that had happened to her. At that point, Phillips asked Sergeant Dye to leave the room so that he could speak with Detective Perella alone. Dye agreed. Once they were alone, Phillips told Perella, “I don’t want to go to jail, I don’t want to get pumped in the butt.” Perella responded that “not everybody who gets arrested goes to jail, that there could be counseling but without knowing what Phillips wanted to talk about, that Perella couldn’t promise him anything except to tell the prosecutor and the judge that he cooperated.” Phillips then confessed that on the morning of January 18, 1993, he “lost it” and repeatedly hit Sheila. Phillips explained that he had called Sheila three times for breakfast and she had failed to respond. As a result, Phillips went to the girls’ bedroom, pulled the covers off Sheila, and began hitting her, throwing her against the walls, and dragging her by her hair. During the beating, Phillips noticed that Sheila was not wearing underwear, which caused him to become sexually aroused. After beating Sheila, Phillips stated he put Vaseline on her anus and inserted his fingers. While Phillips admitted that he thought about anally raping the three-year-old girl on that morning, he denied doing so. Phillips did confess to anally raping Sheila on two prior occasions, but claimed that Evans had paid him to perform those acts. Toward the end of the approximately three-hour interview, Phillips prepared a handwritten statement detailing the events to which he had verbally confessed. Shortly after he completed the written statement, Phillips was arrested. On August 18, 1993, an Ohio jury convicted Phillips on one count of aggravated murder, one count of felonious sexual penetration, and three counts of rape. On September 14, 1993, the trial court adopted the jury’s recommendation and sentenced Phillips to death on the aggravated murder conviction and to life imprisonment on each of his remaining convictions.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
September 22, 2014 Pennsylvania Trista Eng , 16 Hubert Michael stayed

On July 12, 1993, Michael offered to drive sixteen-year-old Trista Eng to her job at Hardee’s Restaurant. After she was in his car, he threatened her with a.44 magnum, then drove her to a remote wooded area, shot her three times with the high-powered handgun, and hid her body in the undergrowth. While appellant was incarcerated on an unrelated charge, his brother, Boyd Michael, visited him in prison. Appellant described the details of the kidnapping and murder to his brother who, based on the information in appellant’s confession, located the as yet undiscovered body of the victim, and reported it to the Pennsylvania state police.

Following appellant’s arrest, Bruce Blocher, a criminal law attorney with fifteen years of experience as a public defender, was appointed to represent appellant.

Hubert Michael was sentenced to death following his guilty-plea conviction of kidnapping and murdering the young woman in cold blood.

– See more at:

On July 12, 1993, Michael offered to drive sixteen-year-old Trista Eng to her job at Hardee’s Restaurant. After she was in his car, he threatened her with a.44 magnum, then drove her to a remote wooded area, shot her three times with the high-powered handgun, and hid her body in the undergrowth. While appellant was incarcerated on an unrelated charge, his brother, Boyd Michael, visited him in prison. Michael described the details of the kidnapping and murder to his brother who, based on the information in Michael’s confession, located the as yet undiscovered body of the victim, and reported it to the Pennsylvania state police. Following Michael’s arrest, Bruce Blocher, a criminal law attorney with fifteen years of experience as a public defender, was appointed to represent Hubert. Hubert Michael was sentenced to death following his guilty-plea conviction of kidnapping and murdering the young woman in cold blood.