March 1999 Executions

Eight killers were executed in the month of March, 1999. They had killed at least 10 people.
Seventeen killers were given a stay in February 1999. They have murdered at least 28 people.

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/1/99 Ohio Carol Lutz Daniel Wilson stayed
On May 8, 1992, Daniel Wilson kidnapped and murdered Carol Lutz, after meeting her at a bar, by setting fire to her car after locking her in the car’s trunk. In 1984, at age 14, Wilson was of delinquency by reason of involuntary manslaughter and aggravated burglary, in the death of an 81-year-old man.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/3/99 Arizona Ken Hartsock Walter LaGrand executed
As youths, Walter LaGrand and his brother Karl set fire to a golf course, which did $20,000 damage, while the family lived at a military post in Texas. Karl and Walter were convicted of the armed robbery of 3 Tucson supermarkets in a 6-day period in 1981. They both were imprisoned at that point. After their release, the brothers wanted a quick fix for their money woes. On the morning of January 7, 1982, Walter and Karl LaGrand drove from Tucson, where they lived, to Marana intending to rob the bank. They brought a briefcase with a steak knife, bandanas, electrical tape, police radio scanner and toy gun inside. They arrived in Marana sometime before 8:00 a.m. Because the bank was closed and empty the LaGrands drove around Marana to pass time. They eventually drove to the El Taco restaurant adjacent to the bank. Ronald Schunk, manager of El Taco, testified that he arrived at work at 7:50 a.m. The moment he arrived, a car with two men inside drove up to the El Taco. Schunk described the car as white with a chocolate-colored top. The car’s driver, identified by Schunk as Walter LaGrand, asked Schunk when the El Taco opened. Schunk replied, "Nine o’clock." The LaGrands then left. Hartsock, the bank manager, showed up a few minutes later and brought the U.S. and Arizona flags outside to be raised for the day. Karl pulled the toy gun and ordered him inside the building. A 20-year-old female teller pulled up a few minutes later. Dawn Lopez arrived for work at the bank at approximately 8:00 a.m. When she arrived at the bank she noticed three vehicles parked in the parking lot: a motor home; a truck belonging to the bank manager, Ken Hartsock; and a car which she did not recognize but which she described as white or off-white with a brown top. Because Lopez believed that Hartsock might be conducting business and desire some privacy she left the parking lot and drove around Marana for several minutes. She returned to the bank and noticed Hartsock standing by the bank door with another man whom she did not recognize. Lopez parked her car and walked toward the bank entrance where Hartsock was standing. As she passed the LaGrands’ car, Walter emerged from the car and asked her what time the bank opened. Lopez replied, "Ten o’clock." Lopez continued walking and went into the bank. When she entered the bank she saw Hartsock standing by the vault with Karl LaGrand. Karl was wearing a coat and tie and carrying a briefcase. Karl told her to sit down and opened his jacket to reveal a gun, which was later found by the police to be a toy pistol. Walter then came through the bank entrance and stood by the vault. Lopez testified that Walter then said, "If you can’t open it this time, let’s just waste them and leave." Hartsock was unable to open the vault because he had only one-half of the vault combination. The bank employees told the LaGrand brothers that they only knew half of the combination to the safe and that they would have to wait for a 3rd bank employee to report to work before it could be opened. The LaGrands then moved Lopez and Hartsock into Hartsock’s office where they bound their victims’ hands together with black electrical tape. The LaGrands became increasingly anxious as the other employee failed to show up. Walter accused Hartsock of lying and put a letter opener to his throat, threatening to kill him if he was not telling the truth. Lopez and Hartsock then were gagged with bandanas. Wilma Rogers, another bank employee, had arrived at the bank at approximately 8:10 a.m. Upon arriving, Rogers noticed two strange vehicles in the parking lot and, fearing that something might be amiss, wrote down the license plate numbers of the two unknown vehicles. She then went to a nearby grocery store and telephoned the bank. Lopez answered the phone after her gag was removed; her hands remained tied. Karl held the receiver to Lopez’ ear and listened to the conversation. Lopez answered the phone. Rogers asked for Hartsock but Lopez denied that he was there, which struck Rogers as odd because she had seen his truck in the bank parking lot. Rogers then told Lopez that her car headlights were still on, as indeed they were. Rogers told Lopez that if she did not go out to turn her head-lights off, then she would call the sheriff. A few minutes later Rogers asked someone else to call the bank and they also were told that Hartsock was not there. Rogers then called the town marshal’s office. After the first telephone call the LaGrands decided to have Lopez turn off her headlights. Her hands were freed and she was told to go turn off the lights but was warned that "If you try to go–if you try to leave, we’ll just shoot him and leave. We’re just going to kill him and leave." Lopez went to her car and turned off the lights. Upon her return to the bank her hands were retied. Hartsock was still bound and gagged in the same chair. Lopez was seated in a chair, and turned toward a corner of the room. Hartsock, believing that Karl LaGrand was about to attack the woman, kicked him in the shins. A savage response ensued. Lopez testified that soon thereafter she heard sounds of a struggle. Fearing that Hartsock was being hurt, Lopez stood up, broke the tape around her hands and turned to help him. Lopez testified that for a few seconds she saw Hartsock struggling with two men. Karl was behind Hartsock holding him by the shoulders while Walter was in front. According to Lopez, Walter then came toward her and began stabbing her. Lopez fell to the floor, where she could see only the scuffling of feet and Hartsock lying face down on the floor. She then heard someone twice say, "Just make sure he’s dead." Hartsock’s throat was slashed and he suffered 23 other knife wounds, at least 6 of which could have been fatal, investigators said. The woman also was stabbed 7 times in the head, side and shoulder but survived. The LaGrands left the bank and returned to Tucson. Lopez was able to call for help. When law enforcement and medical personnel arrived at the bank Hartsock was dead. Lopez was taken to University Hospital in Tucson. Law enforcement personnel quickly identified the LaGrands as suspects. By 3:15 p.m., police had traced the license plate number to a white and brown vehicle owned by the father of Walter’s girl friend, Karen. The apartment where the LaGrands were staying with Karen was placed under surveillance. Shortly thereafter Walter, Karl and Karen left the apartment and began driving. They were followed and soon pulled over. Walter and Karl were then arrested and the car was searched. Karen’s apartment was also searched and a steak knife similar to one found at the bank was seized. Karl’s fingerprint was found at the bank. A briefcase containing a toy gun, black electrical tape, a red bandanna, and other objects was found beneath a desert bush and turned over to the police. When questioned after their apprehension, Walter made no statements, but Karl confessed to the crimes in two different statements. He stated that he had stabbed Hartsock and Lopez, but that Walter had not stabbed anyone and that Walter had been out of the room at the time. Following a jury trial, both were convicted on all charges. After considering mitigating and aggravating circumstances, the judge sentenced both defendants to death.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/5/99 North Carolina ? Harvey Lee Green, Jr. stayed
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/8/99 – 3/15/99 Georgia ? Larry Jenkins stayed
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/9/99 Texas Adeline Dannenberg Robert Lookingbill stayed
When Robert Lookingbill was 24 years old, he beat his grandparents with an iron bar as they slept in San Juan, Texas. Adeline Dannenberg was beaten to death on 12/5/89 but her husband, Lookingbill’s grandfather, survived.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/9/99 Virginia Thomas Haynes, 63 George Quesinberry executed
In the late night/early morning hours of September 24, 1989, George Quisenberry visited a friend at a trailer court in Prince George County. Eric Hinkle also was present. The 3 got drunk drinking rum and Quesinberry suggested breaking into the office and warehouse of the Tri-City Electric Supply Co. in Chesterfield County. Quesinberry bought electrical supplies there and was familiar with its premises. Hinkle and Quesinberry drove to Quesinberry’s stepmother’s home and picked up a handgun, a.45-cal. Remington semi-automatic. They arrived at the business at approximately 6 a.m. Quesinberry pried open a rear door with a screwdriver, and the two entered and began rummaging through offices. They found a desk with a locked drawer and Quesinberry fired a shot, breaking the lock. They found a box of money in a cabinet. Haynes, 63, arrived at the office, turned on the lights and discovered Hinkle and Quesinberry. Haynes, who was unarmed, fled and Quesinberry chased him, firing as he ran. One gunshot wound severed Hayne’s spinal cord. The other shot was fired with the muzzle pressed against Hayne’s back. Later, when Haynes tried to push himself up, Quesinberry struck him a hard blow in the head with the handgun. The blow fractured his skull. Hinkle turned himself in to police at 7:00 that night and implicated Quesinberry. When police confronted him, Quesinberry told them where they could find the murder weapon and his share of the $200 in coins that had been taken from the business. Tom Haynes’ relatives described him as a kind, community-oriented man who was always willing to help people who he felt hadn’t been given a chance. "He was a fantastic person," said his widow, June Haynes-Garrett. "He would have given those jerks (who killed him) probably a job or some money, you know, if they really needed it." Ms. Haynes-Garrett said her husband was killed three days before their 40th wedding anniversary. "We had planned a trip," she said. "We were going to Cancun."
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/10/99 Missouri Tom Jackson, 62 Roy Roberts executed
62-year-old Tom Jackson was a guard at the state prison in Marion Co. Missouri when he was attacked by Roy Roberts, Rodney Carr and Robert Driscoll on 7/3/83. Roberts was convicted of helping to kill prison guard Tom Jackson during a riot at the medium-security state prison in Moberly in July 1983. Four witnesses testified at his trial that he held Jackson while two other inmates plunged makeshift knives into his eyes and repeatedly into his chest and stomach. Denver Halley, a captain at the prison at the time and the main person who indentified Roberts, said Roberts was the inmate who held Jackson while 2 others stabbed him. "I have no doubt in my mind," Halley said Tuesday. "I knew Roberts and I was close enough to blow in his ear. I was no more than 2 feet from him while they were stabbing Tom and I was trying to get to him to pull them off." He said he didn’t know the inmate with the knife. But Roberts, who weighed more than 300 pounds, had grabbed Jackson from behind, slipped his arms under Jackson’s armpits and pulled his shoulders back to expose his torso. "Roberts stands out like a red rose in the Sahara Desert," Halley said. "There is no way I would forget something like that." He said Roberts avoided getting blood on his clothing because he was behind Jackson during the attack. Halley, now 76 and retired in Macon, Mo., said he had no reason to implicate Roberts unfairly. "I know they are saying that I picked him out from a whole wing of prisoners to say he did it," Halley said. "That’s a crock." The attack occurred July 3, 1983, when Halley led a group of 6 guards into a common area to remove an unruly prisoner, one of several who had become drunk on homemade alcohol. As the guards approached, about 3 dozen prisoners mobbed them, Halley recalled. Several guards, including Halley, were injured. Roberts, who was in prison on an armed robbery conviction, admitted to punching a guard during the melee. But he denied any role in Jackson’s death. The inmates who stabbed Jackson were later identified as Rodney Carr and Robert Driscoll. But Roberts was the only one who stayed on death row. Driscoll was convicted and sentenced to death. But the conviction was reversed in 1995 by a federal appeals court because of a prosecutor’s error. He will be retried in November. The jury that convicted Carr of murder deadlocked on punishment, so the judge’s only option at the time was to sentence him to life in prison.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/12/99 Texas Inez Phillips, 75 Stan Faulder stayed
Stan Faulder was sentenced to death in 1977 for the murder of Inez Phillips, age 75, which took place during the burglary of her home in Gladewater, Texas in 1975. Mrs. Phillips was the matriarch of a prominent Texas oil family. The conviction was reversed on appeal. At the second trial, pivotal testimony came from an accomplice in the crime. Stan Faulder was again sentenced to death. He and a girlfriend robbed Phillips’ home in the mistaken belief that there was a large sum of money in her safe. He signed a confession after his arrest. Her 1975 torture – in a failed attempt to find rumored jewels and cash – and murder were so savage that few residents can remember anything so horrible before or since in Gladewater. Phillips, a favorite schoolteacher and matriarch of a wealthy oil family, was covered in bruises from being beaten; her skull was crushed while she was still breathing. The generous patron of local charities who was often called "saintly" died only after being stabbed about 20 times with a knife plucked from her kitchen. It was left embedded in her chest, cracking through bone to spear her body to her bed.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/16/99 Pennsylvania James Scanlon, 61 Ronald Rompilla stayed
Ronald Rompilla was convicted in the 1988 robbery and killing of an Allentown tavern owner. Rompilla was convicted of killing James Scanlon in the former Cozy Corner Tavern. Scanlon, 61, who had been set on fire after being repeatedly stabbed, was found dead by his son behind the bar Jan. 14, 1988. Rompilla was convicted of the crime later that year. His death sentence was upheld by the state Supreme Court in January 1995.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/17/99 Illinois Linda Sutton, 28
Molly, 19
Unnamed woman, 35
Lorraine Borowski, 21
Shui Mack
Sandra Delaware
Rose Beck Davis
Carole Pappas, 31
Andrew Kokoraleis executed
Andrew Kokoraleis was convicted of a ritualistic mutilation and murder in DuPage County. Kokoraleis, of Villa Park, Illinois, was one of the "Ripper" killers who police say kidnapped, raped, tortured, murdered and mutilated as many as 18 Chicago-area women in 1981 and 1982. Kokoraleis, his brother and two friends are believed responsible for up to 18 cult-like mutilation deaths in DuPage and Cook Counties. In some cases the gang — Kokoraleis, his brother Tommy, Edward Spreitzer and ringleader Robin Gecht — cannibalized their victims. In some cases they cut off a breast with piano wire. They would masturbate on the body part and then eat it. "I’ve done many homicide cases and I’d never heard of anything so horrendous in my life," said Elmhurst Police Chief John Millner, who was a detective and polygraph expert who took the November 1982 confession of Tommy Kokoraleis. "He talked about raping the women, stabbing the women, having sex with the knife wounds, cutting their breasts off to leave what he called ‘Robin’s mark.’" On May 23, 1981, Linda Sutton, 28, was kidnapped and ten days later her mutilated body was found in a field near a motel. Her left breast had been cut off and was missing. In June of 1981, a young woman named Molly was reported missing by her parents when she failed to return home. Molly’s body was found near a canal in a remote area and her left breast had been amputated. She had been raped and sodomized and was murdered by being repeatedly stabbed and slashed. Lori Borowski was beaten, mutilated and stabbed after she was abducted on May 15, 1982, as she was entering the real estate office where she worked. Co-workers found Lori’s shoes and the contents of her purse scattered outside the office door. Her body was found 5 months later, in October, on the property of a cemetery near Darien. Two weeks after the disappearance of Lori, a prostitute was picked up by a customer. She was handcuffed and her breast was slashed, then she was dumped on the side of the road, injured but alive. On August 28, the body of teenager Sandra Delaware was found on the banks of the Chicago River. Sandra had been stabbed and strangled and her left breast had been removed. On September 8, Rose Beck Davis was found stabbed and strangled in a Chicago alley. Her left breast was amputated. On September 11, Carole Pappas, the 31-year-old wife of a major league baseball pitcher, disappeared from a shopping trip. On October 6, a 20-year-old prostitute was found near a railroad track, with deep cuts to her right breast and an amputated left breast, however she was still alive and recovered from her injuries. On October 20, police arrested Robin Gecht for the brutal attacks on the two prostitutes who survived. Soon authorities connected the other three men to Gecht, and began putting together their case. After failing a polygraph, Tommy Kokoraleis, 23, described for investigators the "Satanic Chapel" in Gecht’s bedroom and told them about holding women captive to be tortured with knives and gang-raped before being sacrificed to Satan. He said that the cult consisted of himself and his brother Andrew, Gecht and Edward Spreitzer, 23. He detailed how the group would sever one or both of the victim’s breasts with a thin wire wrapped around the flesh. He said that each of them would "take communion" by eating a piece of the breast before placing it in Gecht’s "trophy box." After being sentenced to death for Lori’s murder, Kokoraleis filed numerous appeals of his death sentence, but all were rejected, including a request to the U.S. Supreme Court to hear his case. Gecht is serving 120 years for attempted murder, rape, kidnapping and deviate sexual assault. Spreitzer, 38, was sentenced to death for murder. Tommy Kokoraleis got 70 years for murder.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/18/99 Illinois Dana Rinaldi Ron Kliner stayed
Ronald Kliner was given a death sentence for the contract murder of Dana Rinaldi in Palatine in 1988. Dana Rinaldi’s husband, Joseph, who promised Kliner, his boyhood friend, and another man a share of a life insurance policy payment, earlier was sentenced to 60 years in prison. Another man, Michael Permanian, was convicted of murder and conspiracy to commit murder in the crime. Rinaldi, who pleaded guilty to 1st-degree murder for hiring the killers, was sentenced to 60 years in prison. Permanian received 75 years.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/18/99 Texas Robert Read Steven Staley stayed
In Fort Worth, Tracey Duke, Steve Staley and Duke’s girlfriend Brenda Rayburn tried to rob a Steak and Ale restaurant on Oct. 15, 1989. Robert Read, the restaurant manager, offered himself as a hostage in place of the employees and customers who had been corralled into the back of the restaurant. Read was fatally shot as he sat in the getaway car, and the trio then began shooting at police, according to court records. The trio was arrested after a short chase. At the time of the murder Staley, who killed Read, was an escapee from a Denver halfway house. Rayburn, the driver, received a 30-year sentence in a plea agreement with prosecutors. In his 1991 plea agreement, Duke pleaded guilty to 1 count of murder for Read’s death and 2 counts of attempted capital murder for shooting at police. He took the plea to avoid the death penalty and knew that prosecutors would seek the death penalty if he successfully appealed his sentence. In 1996, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals voided his sentences. The appellate court ruled that Duke should have had 3 hearings because he accepted plea bargains for 3 consecutive life sentences. Instead all his pleas were heard during the same session. Duke, who has asked for a retrial by jury, said he met Staley in Colorado, and the 2 soon began committing crimes. They killed a man in Colorado and committed a host of robberies in Kansas and Oklahoma before heading to Texas, Duke said. "When I met him, I got deeper and deeper," Duke said. Duke said his addiction to heroin and his admiration of Staley led him to commit crimes. Now he is free from drugs, he said, and could be a productive member of society. Duke said he realizes he might get the death penalty now that the case is going to trial. That’s OK, he said. "Then I got appeals."
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/18/99 Pennsylvania Leonard Miller
William Nicholls, 34
John Lesko stayed
For a week during the Christmas holidays in 1980, John Lesko and Michael Travaglia went on a crime binge near Pittsburgh that came to be called the "kill for thrills" spree. Between Dec. 29, 1979, and Jan. 3, 1980, they took the lives of a church organist, an unemployed security guard, a seamstress and a rookie police officer. John Lesko was sentenced to death in the 1980 killing of Leonard Miller, a rookie police officer from Apollo, Armstrong County. Lesko pled guilty in the drowning of William Nicholls, 34, of Mount Lebanon.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/22/99 Illinois John Rajca, 19
Christopher Rajca, 17
John Szabo stayed
John Szabo was sentenced to death after he fatally shot and stabbed brothers John and Christopher Rajca, 19 and 17, on January 27, 1979, during a drug deal south of Naperville, Illinois. Szabo, then 21, met John and Christopher Rajca in a gravel pit to buy drugs. During the deal, the boys were shot and stabbed.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/23/99 Ohio Terrence Walker, 23
Antonio Hunter, 19
Kareem Jackson stayed
In Clinton Township Ohio, 23-year-old Terrence Walker and his cousin, 19-year-old Antonio Hunter were robbed of about $45 and a small amount of marijuana and shot, execution-style, in their apartment by 23-year-old Kareem Jackson and several accomplices. The murders occurred on 3/25/97. In October of 1997, Jackson attempted to escape from jail before trial, breaking both legs in a jump from a second story.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/23/99 Pennsylvania Otis Reynolds, 22
Kevin Anderson, 19
Gavin Anderson
William Graham, 63
Christopher Williams stayed
Christopher Williams was convicted in the 1989 murders of 3 men in Germantown, Pennsylvania. Otis Reynolds, 22, Kevin Anderson, 19, and Gavin Anderson, were drug dealers from New York. They had come to the Philadelphia area with $26,400 in drug money to buy guns. The three men were shot and their bodies were dumped in different various locations. The jury recommended three death sentences. On 2/18/89, Williams had killed William Graham, 63, a cab driver who was shot in the back of the head. Williams received a life sentence in this case. Testimony showed that he killed William Graham to prove that he could kill an innocent person.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/25/99 Texas unnamed victim
Carolyn Kay "
Katy" Davis
Charles Rector executed

On October 17, 1981, Katy Davis was beaten and raped by Charles Rector and several accomplices. The men followed Katy to her home in Austin, Texas but when she saw three strangers outside her apartment, she turned and walked the other way. She returned later, only to be attacked by two men, who forced her to open the door. They ransacked her apartment before taking her to the Town Lake area where she was gang-raped, shot in the head and dumped in Town Lake where they repeatedly forced her head underwater until she drowned. When arrested a couple of hours later, Rector was wearing some of her clothing, had her jewelry in his pockets, was driving her car and his knife was later found in her apartment, yet he still claimed innocence. Rector had a criminal record dating back to age 12 and was on parole for a previous murder at the time of Katy’s brutal killing.

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/25/99 Virginia David Wilkey, 18 David Fisher executed

On 11/21/83, in Bedford Co. Virginia, eighteen-year-old David Wilkey was shot and killed while on a hunting trip. David’s death was initially believed to be an accident but the killer, Bobby Mulligan, broke down and confessed to his father 3 years after the murder. David Fisher hired Bobby Mulligan for $7,000, in order to collect on a $25,000 policy. Fisher had 25 previous convictions and was born Leeman Curtis Fortner but had undergone a name change when he enrolled in the federal witness protection program after being involved in organized crime.

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/25/99 Texas Jerry Dean, 80
Sylvia Dean, 75
Maria Lozano, 75
Jeff Doughtie stayed

Convicted killer Jeffrey Carlton Doughtie dropped his options for appeals and requested that he be executed March 25. Doughtie, who said he wants to be an example to kids of the results of drug use, told state District Judge Joaquin Villarreal III he is ready to die. "I’m not crazy," Doughtie said. "I want it done with." Doughtie waived his appeal options in federal court and then told Villarreal in state court that he appreciated the way the court has treated him. The judge then ordered the March 25 execution date. Doughtie is fulfilling a promise he made when the Texas Supreme Court upheld his conviction 2 years ago – that he would volunteer to be executed. The drug-addicted transient went on a crime spree in 1993 in Corpus Christi, first killing an elderly couple who sold antiques, then strangling and bludgeoning to death a 75-year-old woman. He was convicted of capital murder in both cases and was sentenced to die for the deaths of Jerry and Sylvia Dean, who owned Golden Antiques and Collectibles. A customer came into the store on Aug. 2, 1993, and found the couple unconscious and lying in pools of blood. Jerry Dean, 80, died hours after the attack. His wife, Sylvia, 75, lingered in a coma for 25 days before she died. In a written confession, Doughtie said he beat the couple when they refused to give him money. He was also convicted for the Aug. 22, 1993, slaying of 75-year-old Maria Lozano, who was bludgeoned with a perfume bottle and strangled in her Corpus Christi home. Last fall, Doughtie wrote a letter requesting an April execution, but said he wanted to move up the date. "I have a friend in Germany. She’s coming over and I’d just as soon get it over with," Doughtie said. It is the 1st time an inmate has requested his own execution date in Villarreal’s court, the judge said. "It was a very brutal crime. He’s always faced up to it," Villarreal said. "I think he’s the same person. I think whatever he did he did under the influence of drugs." Pat McGuire, Doughtie’s attorney, said he believes that his client is by nature a "peaceful and kind and gentle person." But, he added, "Jeffrey Doughtie on drugs is a monster and he knows that." Villarreal presided over the capital murder trials and said Doughtie has always been respectful, often making jokes in the courtroom. "Last time I saw him I gave him 20 years," he said, referring to felony robbery, burglary and parole violation cases resolved after Doughtie received the death penalty. "He asked me, "Can I serve the 20 before I do the other one?’" After his execution date was set, Doughtie was allowed to make a phone call to his mother from the courthouse. UPDATE: Less than a week before his scheduled execution date, Doughtie asked for and received a stay.

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/25/99 Pennsylvania Kathy Lynn Fair, 22 Freeman May stayed
Freeman May was convicted in the 1982 stabbing murder of a 22-year-old woman in Lancaster Pennsylvania. Kathy Lynn Fair, mother of a three year old son, was last seen at a bank by her sister on 9/4/82. Her body was not found for over 6 years. There were only bones left, which indicated she had been stabbed to death. Most of her clothing had been removed. May was convicted of raping and stabbing a 17 year old and a 14 year old and sentenced to 15-35 years. While in jail, he wrote a letter to a female prisoner in which he told her about the murder, which resulted in Kathy’s body finally being found. The same knife May used to attack the teenagers was linked to Kathy’s murder.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/26/99 North Carolina unnamed victim
Paul Gwyn
James David Rich executed

Rich has been on death row for just over four years for the stabbing death in August 1994 of another inmate, Paul Gwyn. While Rich was serving a life sentence for murder, he stabbed a fellow inmate to death. Rich pleaded guilty to 1st degree murder in the 1994 stabbing death of Paul Gwyn at the Eastern Correctional Institution in Greene County. The killing occurred because Rich did not like an educational program at the prison and wanted to be transferred to Central Prison. Rich somehow believed that Gwyn could help him get transferred but refused.

Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/29/99 Ohio Robin Dennis, 19 Maurice Mason stayed
In Essex Ohio, on 2/8/93, a pregnant 19-year-old Robin Dennis left a party with Maurice Mason, a parolee, to get a television set for her husband. Her body was found five days later in an abandoned warehouse near Marion Ohio.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/30/99 Texas Preston Boyles, 73
Gary Coker, 18
Billy St. John, 18
Robert White executed
Robert Excell White was sentenced to die for the 1974 murders of 3 people in a filling station robbery near McKinney that netted $66. White was accused of killing a 73-year-old man and two 18-year-old boys near dawn on May 10, 1974. Gary Coker and Billy St. John were 2 teenagers who had stopped to put oil in their truck at the Hilltop Grocery Store and gas station on State Highway 380, about 3 miles east of McKinney. The store was owned by Preston Broyles. Shortly after the boys arrived, White and 2 companions entered the store. They forced the 3 victims to lie face down, took $6 from the cash register and $60 from their wallets, and then argued over who would kill the victims. White shot each of them several times with a.30-caliber carbine with at least one of the boys begging for his life. The day before the Hilltop murders, White had been drinking in Waco with an acquaintance, who sharpened a knife for him. White took the knife, stabbed the man and stole several guns, including the weapon used at the Hilltop store. A few days after those slayings, White turned himself over to Mississippi authorities and confessed to all 4 killings. Authorities soon caught his companions, James Owen Livingston, then 29, and Gary Dale Livingston, 24. White, 37 at the time of the crime, was convicted of capital murder for killing Mr. Broyles and sentenced to death Aug. 26, 1974. He was never tried for the other killings. James Livingston was also convicted and sentenced to die, but the sentence was commuted to life in 1983, according to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Gary Livingston was convicted of murder and sentenced to 20 years in prison. Records show he was released in July 1984.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/31/99 Texas ? Gustavo Garcia stayed
Gustavo Garcia was sentenced to death in the 1990 murder of a Plano liquor store clerk during a robbery. The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals ordered a new trial for Garcia in 1994 but reversed itself in March 1996 and upheld his conviction. Garcia came to death row on Jan. 8, 1992, from Collin County.
Date of scheduled execution State Victim name Inmate name Status
3/31/99 Ohio Pete Copas, 43
Convenience store clerk
James Hanna stayed
In Lebanon Correctional Institute in August of 1997, James Hanna was serving time for a previous murder and attempted murder when he killed Pete Copas, 43, who was his cellmate. Pete was sleeping when he was stabbed in the eye with a sharpened paint brush handle and beaten with a padlock placed in a sock. He died three weeks later. In 1978 Hanna had murdered a convenience store clerk in Toledo, Ohio, by stabbing him 33 times. A customer who walked into the store was also attacked and stabbed 37 times but survived.

Page visited times since 4/9/99

Page last updated on 11/06/10